Upset with the puppy

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Upset with the puppy

Postby painprincess1 » Wed May 07, 2014 11:29 am

So we had jake 3weeks been hard work but worth it. We started letting him meet ppl from 9weeks old family friends u no.
Anyway at 8week I had to bath him he bite me and meant it . I though oh well he has never had a bath and forget about it.
Then he bite my OH again he meant it.u could see he meant it .then nothing we did what we were told made sure he was on the floor training him up.anyway my mum was away for the weekend and I said I'd house sit.so jake had the garden to play in as we are digging our back garden up.my son who is 18 brought his two friends round to see the puppy, there not kids so not jumping about . He went for both of them and I saw him growling and snapped at them .
I rung the vet who told me it's not normle in a puppy so younge. I'm now waiting for them to ring tomorrow to see what can be done. :cry:
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Re: Upset with the puppy

Postby SchroedingersCat » Wed May 07, 2014 12:18 pm

He could be in pain, so being overly sensitive, if there is something wrong with him you can't see, e.g. tummy ache, something in his paw. If it's not that, then he's got dominance issues, and you either nip that in the bud now or you'll end up with a nasty dog. Nicer people than I will tell you how to train him out of that, but with my collie cross I found a damn hard smack on the nose when he pushed it made sure he knew who was boss. Dogs are like kids, they need firm boundaries. Good luck either way.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:25 pm

When out dogs do something naughty, we had to hold their nose briefly, pull it down and say firmly, No! I would also get him checked by the vet, as the poster before me said, he could be in pain x I hope things work out x By the way, what breed is he? I have a 3 yr old Jack Russell and a 13 month old spaniel. Had them both from three months x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:32 pm

He is a border collie. And his not in any pain live had dogs all my life but never had a puppy bite.only in play.
Vet calling tomorrow and when he is naughty I put him in the kitchen.as I no they don't like being apart from the pack.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:35 pm

I have never had a puppy bite me out of anger, only in play. I hope that the vet will be of more help to you x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed May 07, 2014 8:47 pm

Have you checked to see if he is starting to teethe or might have something stuck in his mouth/teeth that is causing him pain???

These linkys might be worth having a look at, one is from the Association Of Pet Behaviour Counsellors and the other is from Doglistener.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Theresa34 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:52 pm

Talking about teeth just reminded me, my friends dog became very grumpy, and it turned out that there was something wrong with his teeth. I think his adult teeth were pushing up his puppy teeth. So maybe a teething issue.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu May 08, 2014 3:34 am

PP.....if your puppy was not showing signs of aggression before he bit I would think he was hurting somewhere also.

Our son is going through puppy misbehaviour. They have a chocolate lab about 2 months now. Last week he managed to eat a pair of kids underwear, he threw up thankfully. Hank then ate a child's sock, that came up. A few days later he ate my son's sock. It did not come up right away so they called the vet and he said to give him water and peroxide to make him vomit. It worked. They are being very careful that all laundry is in baskets and doors to bedrooms shut. Their little girl thought it was funny and mum caught her shaking her undies at him to see if he would eat them....she was sent to her room to look at a book.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby SchroedingersCat » Thu May 08, 2014 11:19 am

Border collie? Ah. Get some professional advice, BCs can be VERY dominant dogs, you need to sort this urgently or you'll have a problem when he gets older. A friend of mine eventually had to have his BC destroyed because she got so nasty :(
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Thu May 08, 2014 6:12 pm

Without more info on things like what was happening when your OH was bitten, your pups posture and behaviour when in the grden with your older sons. Was he running towards them ears up body stance forward in an agresive manner barking and snapping as soon as they entered the garden, or were his ears back, his tail tucked between his legs and despite growling keping a safe distance.? It would be difficult to determine whether your pup has aggression or fear biting responses. Either way you will need help and advice from people familair with the breed.

I suggest you contact the Border Collie Breed Club and ask to speak to one of the members on there. Its too difficult on any internet forum to get an idea of what the problem is without much more detialed information. A phone call or visit would be much better.

I dont recommend hitting a dog under any circumstnaces as there are much more effective ways and safer ways to deal with things. My OH had a different opinion with our terrier and ended up in casualty with a bad bite for his efforts. When any dog we landed in my care for retraining or rehoming the first thing I would test in the dog was his resposnse to a hand being suddenly waved in front of his face. If the dog flinched I knew he'd been smacked or thumped and would need speical care in rehoming as a hand shy dog.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu May 08, 2014 9:50 pm

I have a border collie called Harry he is now 4 years old and has an awful lot of problems, Fluppypuffy recommended the Border Collie rescue for advice and I have to say they were brilliant.

Harry would not be with us but for their advice and I thank Flup everyday for the recommendation, so perhaps if you contact them they would be able to help.

They asked questions about his appearance and how he held himself, listened to all his problems, he is a very anxious dog, tries to bite the vets every time we visit (every 4 weeks because of health problems) but we manage him and at home around our grandchildren, he is a sweetheart.

He has to be watched especially with the younger children as any dog should be. Outside that would be a complete different story as he is so anxious he cant be trusted.

But I am another who says, dont smack him whatever you do as you are then using aggression towards him and he could turn. He is only young and so he really needs things trained out, Collies love to work, have you thought of taking him to obedience training, they run courses that allow the dog to turn all that energy into something constructive :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

I hope you can work things out
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby painprincess1 » Fri May 09, 2014 10:23 am

I shall use the border collie forum ty. And no I don't hit him .i use treats whenever he comes to his name which is working well. I love him to bit and I will get this sorted he loves my mums dog so he is getting dog to dogs time which I think he will learn from more then me. She puts him in his places if he is naughty.
Ty for replys
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby millymoodoo » Fri May 09, 2014 12:05 pm

Hi pp

Just a thought how old was your puppy when you got it??? The reason I ask is I am currently doing a diploma in animal psychology and it says that puppies shouldn't be separated from their mother and litter mates until they are 12 weeks old, if they leave too early they will often fail to develop important social skills. They will also miss out on how far to go when play biting and wrestling etc. They learn what is acceptable behavior. They do this by interacting with their mother and other litter mates and learn who is in charge and generally how to be a dog. If the puppy has missed out on this period it can still be trained but you may have a few teething problems which can only be taught with positive training as at this age they will begin to learn fear so anything negative could influence how the puppy interacts with people.

I am so pleased that you don't smack or hurt the puppy as this will just make him frightened of people. The interaction with your mums dog will benefit the puppy in so many ways so its good that you have this option as it will learn some of the tasks that the mother would otherwise have taught. Good luck with this its not too late to positive train the puppy.

Take care
Julie
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Fri May 09, 2014 1:41 pm

Hi mildly moo.
He was 8 weeks.
And that why I like to take him to mums one a week to play with rosa. She's collie cross and very gentle, but like kids when there both tired they get snappy at each other. But she will teach him I can't xx
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby Richard elder » Fri May 16, 2014 8:31 am

Hi, sound's too me your pup is in some discomfort. Is he eating rubbish in the garden? My pup got snappy when he was doing that because his tummy was sore. Or he could be teething. My wife's a member of all border collies forum try there it's full of educated people who own them.
Richard elder
UKFM Member

Return to General Topics