[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Driving with fibro

Driving with fibro

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Driving with fibro

Postby Shaun233 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:55 pm

Hi has any one had their driving licence revoked or refused by dvla I'm on a medical licence and my doctors have more or less said that she won't support my renewal, my licence is due to expire on 7th august this year
Shaun233
UKFM Member

Re: Driving with fibro

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:15 pm

My licence was revoked almost 14 years ago, but that was before FM showed itself. The way my initial symptoms presented themselves, it led to me being dx'd with, and being treated for Meniere's Disease. My licence was revoked due to being unable to judge speeds, distances etc due to being continually dizzy.

Has your GP said that she definitely won't support a renewal??? Just wondering as a number of us have problems with reading far too much between the lines of what has been said at times.

Is there a different GP who might have a more favourable view to your licence renewal that you could see???

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:32 pm

I was told I didnt need to tell DVLA. My fibro doesnt affect my driving skills anyway at the moment x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby siennasbreeze » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:36 pm

hOpe you are all having a good for you day.
I haven't been on here for ages,but today I could really do with some advice.
Here's the situation ......I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia nearly four years ago ,but have had symptoms for years.
I have gone from having mild /moderate to now being at the severe end of the scale ,says my GP.
initially ,I worked right up to 3 years ago,when things got so bad ,that I was left with no other option but to give up my job.
I am a single parent with three lovely children,therefore the only one that has a driving licence.
We live in a little village in the middle of no were.the nearest shop is 10 miles away.I am on dla HRM and been fortunate enough to be allowed a motorbility Car.

Yesterday, I received a letter from DVLA saying "we have received information from a third party",so we need to make confidential enquires as to your fitness to drive cars and motorcycles.
Enclosed is a questionnaire and consent to release medical information.on the reverse of one of the pages there is a reference to the law: section 94 (4) (5) (8) of the road traffic act 1988.
I've spoken to my GP today who knows I'm sensible about the driving situation.basically,if I'm having a foggy and bad day ,I do not drive as would not put other road users at risk least of all my children.besides which driving really exhausts me and increases my pain levels.you can count on two hands how many times I've drove in the last year,even then it's only local and in short spurts.i have an automatic to make things easier as my hands are painful.

I am really worried that I'm going to loose my licence or be in trouble .This will finish me as I've already lost too much with this condition already .e.g friends,social life,my job.i need to get out of the house occasionally for my own mental health and that of my children.
my mobility is poor,so this car is my legs to the outside world.there aren't any buses or taxis ,even if there were I can't use public transport as the steps are too difficult on to Buses and I can't just ask the driver to stop for 5 to release the pressure of my joints.the car gives me that flexibility and to be able to come home when I've had enough and before I become too exhausted to manage to get home safely.

Just wondered what your thoughts were on this and what you would do in my situation?Would you just send the forms back and await the outcome or ring dvla first .i also wonder what affect the outcome will have on my other benefits ..e.g esa and dla?
Is it one of those catch 22 situations were if they deem you fit to drive it will mean that esa and dla dept think that your condition has changed,cause a snowball effect of letters coming saying we need to review you as a third party has contacted us.....blar blar blar or if they deem you as unfit and revoke my licence ,does that mean I get 'done' for driving while unfit and for not telling them I have fibromyalgia.
I have been vigilant in checking out their website with notifiable conditions and to this day fibromyalgia and ME is not on the list,so hence why I thought I wouldn't have to notify them.just because I have drive very occasions

Ly does not mean I'm well ,it just means I've rested loads ,got my pain to a more bare able level to be able to have enough in my concentration tank to tackle the cat.I don't enjoy it as it's still painful and I suffer/body punishes me for doing it for days or sometimes weeks after...massive flare alert!

Wondered if anyone else has had to deal with the dvla about these issues where someone has reported them and how they dealt with it?
I would really love your thoughts and experiences on the matter as I'm really stressed about it all and have no one to talk to...can't you tell I've done an essay lol!

Sorry ,had to space it a bit as my brain is struggling to cope with all the words on the screen....input overload...
My so called friends all did a massive vanishing act when I became really ill with this condition and I can't really discuss these things with my children,so I hope you don't mind.
Gentle hugs and everything crossed that some good karma comes to all my fellow fibro fighters xxxx
siennasbreeze
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:16 pm

I would fill in the form and send it back as they may well find you are OK to drive, your driving ability shouldnt affect your other benefits as you were given the option of having a mobility car so they cant say we'll let you have a car then deem you arent ill enough to warrant the benefits that pay for it because you can drive :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?

It may be your medication they are querying as some of the stuff we take can affect our ability to react but by writing to your GP they should be assured you are careful as you have discussed it with him on previous occasions.

Sorry I cant really help much as I gave up driving voluntarily as I felt I was a danger to other road users (fog, pain and exhaustion)

I hope it all gets sorted out quickly for you :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

I have deleted your other post as it was identical to this one and posting multiple copies isnt allowed as its seen as spamming the forum (I know you werent but its one of the rules) and it can get really confusing as people get those deja-vu moments and you end up with less replies :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Theresa34 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:51 am

I have my driving licence. I was told without asking, that I didn't need to inform the DVLA. A few weeks ago I stopped driving on two occasions as I was severely fatigued due to my Amitriptyline being so high. Thankfully that fog has lifted, I've gone down on the dose and feel back to normal. Well, as normal as a fibro head can be lol.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Return to General Topics