[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - After 25 years I dreaded today, for good reason!

After 25 years I dreaded today, for good reason!

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

After 25 years I dreaded today, for good reason!

Postby whoami » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:03 am

So I have had the same Dr for the whole time , 25 years I have had fibromyalgia....until today. I have dreaded the day coming but knew it would.

Today the OA has had me in tears but I held them back at least as I stepped into the same little cottage that my Dr held his practice in. I sat in the examining room looking around all was the same, even Dr Bakers girls pictures on the desk and the Andy Warhol calendar that he loved.

I sat and started to shake as the door opened and in walked this strange man, someone who I had never heard of until a few months ago. The new Dr. The replacement to the gentle man who cared for us for almost 30 years. The Dr that had once sat by my bedside for a few hours waiting for me to come around would never step over the threshold again.

I had hoped things would go well but within 3 minutes I knew I was doomed and at his mercy. This new Dr asked family history and mine, even though it was all in front of him. That was OK though until.....he said, there is no need for you to try and see the screen. I explained that it would take a while to get use to his procedure but Dr B always turned the monitor and we looked at things together. He turned it so I could not see.

He then asked about meds and "WHO" put me on Fentanyl and Wellbutrin. I explained my whole history of meds and treatment over the years. I was told that fentanyl does not work for chronic pain, that trigger point and nerve blocks were a waste also. I said I respected his opinion but all my other Dr's had agreed on treatment. He laughed and then said that fibro was a very controversial thing, that basically translated to it is a load of crap.

I explained that my meds had been approved by the workers compensation board and they paid for over £ 400 a month for them They would not approve them and pay if they thought they were useless.

I asked him what he would recommend, he didn't answer other than,.... I would be the one accepting all responsibility taking the meds I was taking. Come back in 6 months. He changed all my hubby's meds for his diabetes, heart and bipolar without explaining or taking into consideration that all his levels were under control with what he was taking.

I left the office in tears for the first and last time. I went directly to my hubby's new Dr and made an appointment for Thursday. Hubby walked out of his first visit with him after 5 minutes. Didn't say a word to the receptionist, nothing.

I am going to write a letter to my old Dr and explain why both hubby and I are leaving a practice he built over 40 years. The new Dr will have taken over fully in a year, even though he is not going to see any patients anymore.

I am totally aware that change is not easy but this guy has planted his stamp a little hard on the paper.

Hubby is having his second visit at his new Dr tomorrow. She had ordered all his blood to be done over as well as an echocardiogram. I am hoping I get on well the the second new Dr Thursday. I will keep you informed.

Thanks for listening as I write this having a good hot soak and calm down time.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Re: After 25 years I dreaded today, for good reason!

Postby dotty lotty » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:17 am

What a dreadful experience you had at the new doctors. To loose the doctor who has treated and understood you for so many years must be really hard.

Not sure what else to say so instead will send lots of :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: some pretty :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: and when all else fails [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate]

I really hope things improve for you :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:10 am

He sounds like some of the dinosaurs we still have roaming the corridors of the NHS :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: So frustrating :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Hopefully seeing hubby's new doc on Thursday will be a much more positive appt :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby whoami » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:04 am

Dotty...he is a younger Dr. I am not sure where he studied but he was an emergency room Dr before this. he has an accent that I had trouble hearing at the beginning with a last name of Gervorkyan. Some may like him??? I could not find any reviews on him online.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby MPSGuy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:00 pm

Seems a tad unprofessional (to say the least) to imply that the patient's complaints are 'controversial' (i.e. he doesn't believe you) after only meeting the patient once for 5 mins.

I don't blame you at all for switching surgery and trying to find a new doctor. Building up a trusting and good relationship with a new GP will take time and it is just not worth wasting effort with one who feels your problems are insignificant and gives such negative vibes right from the start. It seems like this doctor you met has quite an old fashioned paternalistic style of consultation which doesn't suit you.

My doctor is happy to show me what is on the computer screen and even explain if I ask a question - they are my health records after all.
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:41 pm

[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:37 pm

Whoami I had the same problem, the doc I saw for thirty odd years retired and the younger ones that have taken over dont think much of fibro either :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Hope the new, new one is better for you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby dazzleship » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:13 am

hi whoami

sounds terrible to have to leave a GP you've known and trusted for that long :( but it sounds good news if your hubby likes his new GP, hopefully you can start seeing her.

good luck for Thursday :hugs:

it's strange if younger GPs don't seem to have much knowledge/interest of fibro, I would have thought it would be the other way around (I always feel older GPs are the ones stuck in the dark ages). guess it depends though. why they don't all have the same knowledge/training I don't know.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Return to General Topics