Blue Badge

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Blue Badge

Postby becbob » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:57 pm

Finally I got some good news. I applied for a blue badge last month and today it finally came through. I had to go for an assessment and I was very stressed at it all but I made it through. I cannot tell you all how much it means to me.

Hoping to maybe get out just a little bit more, we shall see.
Never judge on looks alone. Real beauty comes from with in.
becbob
UKFM Member

Re: Blue Badge

Postby dazzleship » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:54 am

oh well done :-D good news to hear.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:28 pm

That is good news! What did you have to do for your assessment? I'm still pondering whether to apply for this.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby becbob » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:44 pm

Basically we sat and he asked he lots of questions with regards to my illness. He was an Occupational Therapist and he was very professional. The only thing I had to do was to walk a certain length and he timed me. I didn't get past 20m and it took me 1 minute. He was allowed to hold on to me to help and by the end of it I was dripping with sweat, very breathless and in pain. He could see that so when I said that I couldn't go on he let me rest before helping me to the car. It was also handy that we had managed to park right outside the door. He watched me from behind walking to the interview room but I had my daughter with me and she aided me. I was very nervous before going in but I didn't need to be. He really listened to what I had to say.

I am not on PIP or ESA or though I had told him that I am in the process of claiming for them. I got turned down for a blue badge a few months ago but I didn't get given an assessment. They went by what I had written in my form. This time I was a lot more detailed and I think that is why I got the chance to be assessed.

I would recommend you going for it. The worst that could happen is they say no. You have nothing to lose. I wish you luck and hope that you get one.
becbob
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:05 pm

Thanks. I think the main problem i have is I can walk okay to start with (apart from during flares), it is only after a while that I get really slow and find it difficult. So I suspect I would get turned down!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Queenie_70 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:13 pm

Congratulations!!!!

I too applied for a blue badge, and was completely honest in my application. Where there was room for further evidence etc, I told them that I would not use it on a daily basis, but only when my condition is such, that my partner and daughter have to assist my walking and care.

I cannot predict when I will not walk, it just happens, along with my convulsions. This is when I need the car as near to an entrance as possible so I can be shoved in and sent home as quickly as is safe to do. So I let the Council know that even though I would have this privileged, it would not be abused.

I was awarded the blue badge, at a cost of £10. But to me, it is worth it to know if the car needs to be moved because I cannot get to it, or I am having issues, then a handicapped parking space can be used.

I hope more of us will think of doing the same. it might make many lives a little more comfortable.
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby becbob » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:30 pm

Queenie, well done to you. It's made a huge difference already to me. Yesterday I was in lots of pain but I had to get a pair of dance shoes for my daughter. Without a blue badge I would of been unable to go to that shop. The car park is a fair walk away but I parked right outside the shop. I only walked a few metres from car to door. Without my badge I would never of been able to get them.

I urge anybody who has days where they find it very difficult to get out and about to apply. I told them the absolute truth, that some days I can't get out of bed and on good days I can walk quite a distance. I need it for my ok days. On ok days I can manage little steps with help. It will be these days that I use my blue badge.
becbob
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:50 pm

That's interesting Queenie, I might try that. Bigger spaces would really help me as my knees are wrecked, but I wouldn't use them that often.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Return to General Topics