Surprise, surprise!

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Surprise, surprise!

Postby whoami » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:12 pm

I got back romantic spending 14 hours in emergency. The pain was intolerable after having not slept for 3 days and unable to sit or lie down. As you can guess my body was exhausted.

After my Dr of almost 30 years retired I had to get a new Dr. They are hard to come by as waiting lists are getting longer. I had been on fetal high dose for over 8 years, life was tolerable. This new Dr does not believe in using any heavy pain medicine. Not even Tylenol 3. So here I have been without any pain meds.....hence the trip to hospital

The hospital has all my records, this is why I don't go to the local hospital, they gave me fentanyl, percocets and clonazipam for the anxiety. My normal blood pressure is about 90/65 and it was 158/100 when admitted.

I have not put on the patch since I only have enough for 9 days. What is the point, my Dr will not repeat the prescription. We are looking for a new Dr. Both the pharmacy and the hospital says I need to leave this Dr as they understand the predicament I am in. I can't very well call around to Dr's asking if they prescribe strong pain meds, they will assume, since they don't know me.

So here I am, having dealt with this condition for 25 years, the first 10 finding meds and treatments that work only now having to start back at the beginning. At least with the percocets and clonazipam I have got 2 hours sleep, LOL!

Thanks for listening.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Re: Surprise, surprise!

Postby Queenie_70 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:26 pm

Hi whoami,

So sorry to hear about the trouble you have had getting a doctor to continue your scripts. I literally moved 200 miles to find a doctor who would listen to me. (I also have a disabled daughter who was on a three year waiting list for mental health assistance, not acceptable). Anyway, I know the trials and tribulations of trying to find someone who will listen and understand. Too often you can see the eye roll when you mention Fibro, but lucky happenstance that the clinic I go to also has a doctor who researches Fibro and other neuropathic (sp) pain, so he discusses it with the GP's. When I go in, mostly, I don't get the, big sigh, OMG she is trying to pull a fast one, attitude. Though I do make it abundantly clear that I was diagnosed by a Rheumy, NOT just self diagnosed, or GP!!!! That does seem to make a difference I find.

I hope, I really do, that you find someone who is caring enough to listen and put you back on the right track for pain management.

xxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:11 pm

Thanks for the reply....

Yesterday we went to a friend of my hubby's who happens to be a very well known pharmacist. He has a long list
of attributes including president of college of pharmacists, vice president of the national pharmacy regulatory board authority as well as the national drug scheduling advisory committe , to name a few.

We gave him all info and he is going to try to help. Both with possibly suggesting medications and finding a Dr who can treat me.

I must say it was a comfort just hearing the Yorkshire accent he has. We shall await his call.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby ixel-chick » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:48 am

Phew - what a nightmare the last few weeks has been for you!

Fingers and toes crossed you hubbys friend can help find the right doc and medicines, and you can get some help.
☐ Fibro Mode / ☑ Normal Mode
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:59 pm

Ugh what a nightmare for you! How can your new GP not 'believe' in that helping you when he presumably has access to all his colleague's notes about you?!

Hope you find a solution soon x
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby whoami » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:20 am

Well another night in emerg. Basically now it is a waiting game for a new Dr. We did receive a notice that we have been accepted at a clinic but the new Dr does not start until April and then maybe 2-4 weeks for appointment. Hopefully hubby's friend can get us a Dr sooner.

The hard thing to deal with is I don't know if it is the fibro, osteoarthritis or a herniated disk in my lower back. Sitting and lying down is a killer.

Also coming off such a high dose of fentanyl 125 mcg the withdrawal has been hard and I am not able to sleep. About an hour a night, then after 3 days I am in total exhaustion that I can barely move.

Well enough of my pity party, I know I will survive. Like a Dr who diagnosed me said.....good news, I know what you have, bad news, you are going to live a painfully long life, LOL! You have to know the Dr and his sense of humour. He has fibro himself! Too bad he isn't a GP.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:32 am

Ah Whomi I am so sorry to read of your troubles. I hope that you find a new Primary Care team very soon and that you don't fall foul of all the hype I keep reading about in the US & Canada about bad prescribing which then causes problems for legit patients like yourself. DO take the hospital treatment , that you may be in less pain as pain in itself can keep a flare going.

Thinking of you .XX
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Return to General Topics