mixed up words

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

mixed up words

Postby bandj » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:19 am

Hi all,

I've noticed recently that I am having trouble with words, in that I'm writing the wrong words or misunderstanding patterns. I've been doing word puzzles to try and keep my brain functioning and not stagnating whilst im not at by best. I know the word I want but I write the wrong word down. I'm sorry that I'm not putting this clearly.

But does anyone have any ideas about what I can do to help with this, please?

Thank you.
There are these three things that remain: faith, hope and love. And the greatest of these is LOVE.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Re: mixed up words

Postby Queenie_70 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:00 pm

Hi bandj,

I am not sure that I know what brain training you can do to assist in your condition, but know this, we are all in the same boat to one degree or another.

I literally saw my doctor on Wednesday and tried to explain to him what I was going through memory wise. It feels like I can remember things from my childhood, even smells and touch, but ask me in an hour if I have had my coffee and meds this morning, boom!!!! Empty head!!!

I did post the other day on another thread that my memory burps, as I like to call them, are getting beyond a joke. The sink is a fridge, the washing machine is the thingy, I forget my dogs name (Calypso, after the God, not the ice-cream), I try to make coffee with a knife instead of a teaspoon. My doctor told me that it is probably neurological, he is glad that I am under the current care of a Neurologist so I can discuss these events with her, but he also wondered if it is a condition called Pseudo-dementia. This is a condition that is caused by depression. You can look it up via Google and find some really good articles.

Anyway, my point is that we all have issues with our memory, it is not fun, it gets frustrating, but I think what you are doing, crosswords, word games etc, are the best thing. I don't know if it will help, but it might retrain the part of your brain that has gone to sleep.

xxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby ixel-chick » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:08 am

To quote myself:
So, you got pain all over, pain that has no business being there, but still is, and being completely exhausted... and to top up the fun times (as clearly not being able to walk the stairs, and having all-over body pain isn't enough) there comes the fog!

Memory - gone.  Speech - gone.  Having a clue what you're doing (or supposed to do) - gone.  There will be TV remotes in the fridge, milk in the wardrobe, and generally all sorts of things in places where they don't belong.  Forget about putting the bins out on the right day, or remembering birthdays, cause even if you got a big calendar on the wall, you got no idea which day it is. But who cares if there's a TV remote in the fridge, as chances are you'll have no idea what a fridge is called anyway.  You know you know the word - but got no idea what it is!  You might even replace the word "fridge" with something like "jam". 

You'll go to your doctors appointments on the wrong days, or be feeling so bad you'll have to call in sick for them! 

Forget about any social life, getting dressed is a task too much.  Actually getting dressed and venturing outside the house - hah!  And if you got visitors, you won't be able to hold a conversation, or make tea for them, as the milk is for some reason not in the "jam", but is instead hiding in the wardrobe.

It's the fog causing it. :-) I found that mine was connected to the fatigue... the more fatigued I was, the more messed up my brain was. It got to the point I couldn't trust myself with the cooker, as I forgot I'd turned it on. :( Forgetting words, replacing words with completely different words, trailing off whilst talking due to forgetting what I was in the middle of saying. Typing was a real b*gger (really? It get's changed to "bagger" if I leave the "u" :lol: ), as in my mind it all looked a-ok, but in truth atleast 10% of words written were the wrong ones. Confusion, and anger, became a part of it, as I got angry due to being so confused.

How's your energy levels? Are you feeling especially fatigued? Both the sertraline and the milnacipran took away both my fatigue and fog. :-D
☐ Fibro Mode / ☑ Normal Mode
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby bandj » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:48 pm

Hi and thanks for your replies.

I am permanently fatigued, j often have to sleep in the morning as well as the afternoon. I've battled with depression since I wss a teenager, so for ove 30 years. I've always forgotten the odd word anf called anything I can't remember the name for a wotsit, thingymajig, etc. But this is way beyond that.

I was doing some beadwork on Wednesday and 2 people had to explain the pattern to me. I wouldn't mind but it was an easy pattern! :-)

ah well makes life interesting! All I can say is thank good ness for predictive text - masks my mistakes a bit! :lol:
There are these three things that remain: faith, hope and love. And the greatest of these is LOVE.
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby ixel-chick » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:55 pm

bandj wrote:I am permanently fatigued

Hasn't any medication worked for the fatigue?
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby bandj » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:18 pm

To be honest, until reading some of the other posts I wasn't awsre there was meds to help fatigue. I've just been told to pace myself which I don't always find easy. Im due to see my gp later this month so I'll mention it to him -if I remember!!! I think id better make a list! :lol:
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby ixel-chick » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:35 pm

bandj wrote:Im due to see my gp later this month so I'll mention it to him -if I remember!

:lol: Good luck with that - I used to have my pockets full of notes, and even when dragging them out, I still forgot half I wanted to say. :-)

I specifically went to the docs to ask for a SSRI to try to help with the fatigue (I went armed with a list of the three I was interested in trying, and after a chat I came out with a prescription for sertraline/Zoloft).

I have to say, although I wasn't able to stay on the sertraline (I made me severely depressed. But please don't let that put you off - chances are it won't do the same to you!), it was of fantastic help with the fatigue. Took it away completely!

I didn't try the milnacipran specifically for the fatigue, but for all the fibro symptoms, including the fatigue. And as luck would have it, this one's not making me depressed, and it's taken away all the fibro symptoms, including the fatigue and fog. :-)

This was my note for the day I went to discuss a tablet (the first words out of my mouth was "I want drugs" as I went into the doctors office with the note clutched in my hand):
“Treatment” (I can deal with everything else, as long as I can get a little bit of energy!):
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. If a tricyclic antidepressant fails (why piss about starting with the rubbish stuff?) to bring relief, doctors sometimes prescribe a newer type of antidepressant called a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). As with tricyclics, doctors usually prescribe these for people with fibromyalgia in lower dosages than are used to treat depression. By promoting the release of serotonin, these drugs may (I know it's only “may”, but they way I am feeling, “may” seems like a gift from the gods) reduce fatigue and some other symptoms associated with fibromyalgia. The group of SSRIs includes fluoxetine (Prozac), paroxetine (Paxil), and sertraline (Zoloft). Newer SSRIs such as citalopram (Celexa) or escitalopram (Lexapro) do not seem to work as well for pain as the older SSRIs.

Dr Pepper:
Prozac: Seizures, loss of libido, blindness!
Paxil (Seroxat): Blindness, seizures, loss of libido!
Zoloft: Hostility, loss of libido, convulsions, decreased vision!

SSRIs may be prescribed along with a tricyclic antidepressant. Studies have shown that a combination therapy of the tricyclic amitriptyline and the SSRI fluoxetine resulted in greater improvements in the study participants’ fibromyalgia symptoms than either drug alone.
Mixed reuptake inhibitors. Some newer antidepressants raise levels of both serotonin and norepinephrine and are therefore called mixed reuptake inhibitors. Examples of these medications include venlafaxine (Effexor), duloxetine (Cymbalta), and (Savella). In general, these drugs work better for pain than SSRIs, probably because they also raise norepinephrine, which may play an even greater role in pain transmission than serotonin.

But do they help with the fatigue?

The black was info I'd copied from the net, the red my own notes. I started looking at the mind-drugs (sounds better than "anti-depressants"... I was never trying any of them for depression) as being on a step ladder... with the tricyclic ones on the bottom step, the SSRIs on the next step (where I wanted to try one, as I was hoping not to have to go a step higher), and the SNRIs on the top step (one of those is the drug I'm currently on, mentioned as Savella in my note). So yes - to answer my own question I once wanted to know - they do help for the fatigue. :-)

The "Dr Pepper", is something I do with all drugs, I basically look at "what's the worst that can happen", and compare that to how I feel before taking the medication. :-)
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby bandj » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:46 pm

Hi ixel chick, thanks for your post, I was trying to recall the name sertaline so your post helped no end :-D I tried prozac before, never again. I was way off this planet! :lol: im seeing my gp on the 23rd and am making a list of things to speak to him about. Ive lost count of how many times ive sais that I can cope with pain but not the fatigue and no ones ever suggested treating the fatigue. Hope gp listen this time :fingerscrossed:
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:11 pm

ixel-chick wrote: So yes - to answer my own question I once wanted to know - they do help for the fatigue. :-)

I just feel I need to point out the usual caveat as with all meds - they *might* help with fatigue. I have tried many things to help with fatigue and none have helped me, and my GP is very unwilling to give me anything else. So although you should ask for help, please don't put all your hopes on it.

Sorry to be a naysayer, but we don't all react the same way to meds unfortunately :(
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby ixel-chick » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:18 pm

Zia2014 wrote:Sorry to be a naysayer, but we don't all react the same way to meds unfortunately :(

Same as with all medication - for those it helps - and people will never know, unless they try. And as with all medication, some end with bad side-effects, some don't. :-D

But the two SNRIs, which was mentioned in my note for my doc further up (duloxetine and milnacipran) do work for the fatigue.

You can read about people's experiences with milnacipran and fibro here: http://www.drugs.com/comments/milnacipr ... algia.html and duloxetine here: http://www.drugs.com/comments/duloxetin ... algia.html as with all drugs, you will see a myriad of different ratings... but as both of them are often rated 10, would that be something you would be willing not to try? :-D

I can only speak from my personal experience, but sometimes it's worth reading about others exeriences. :-D With me, both the SSRI and the SNRI I tried took away my fatigue - completely!

With me, the SSRI I tried made me severely depressed. But I would never discourage anyone from trying a SSRI, as the hope to be fatigue free surely beats the off-hand chance that they might get the same side-effect I got? :-D Some will find no relief from with, some will find great relief from it, some will have bad side-effects, some won't.

The SNRI I tried took away my fatigue and my pain. Will it do the same for others? Maybe, maybe not. A huge chunk of those that try it stop due to side-effects, but some find total relief from all fibro symptoms. :-D To quote CrazyMeds ( http://www.crazymeds.us/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Meds/Savella ):
When it works, it really works.

So, although chances are you won't be one of the lucky ones, you never know unless you're willing to try. :-D
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby bandj » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:20 pm

:fingerscrossed: Im willing to try anything if it helps with the fatigue. I called Winnie the Pooh "Pinnie the who"earlier! :lol: my friend thought it was hilarious! She thinks (knows) im crackers anyway! I just hope I don't make yoo many errors on my next assignment
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby ixel-chick » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:32 pm

Fingers and toes crossed whatever you end up trying will do some serious butt-kicking to the fatigue - Pinnie The Who style! :-D
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:56 pm

ixel-chick wrote:
Zia2014 wrote:Sorry to be a naysayer, but we don't all react the same way to meds unfortunately :(

Same as with all medication - for those it helps - and people will never know, unless they try. And as with all medication, some end with bad side-effects, some don't. :-D

But the two SNRIs, which was mentioned in my note for my doc further up (duloxetine and milnacipran) do work for the fatigue.

We are essentially in agreement, but I can't agree with your last statement that they *do* work for fatigue. They did not for me, for instance. In fact Duloxetine was absolutely the worst one for fatigue *for me* as it made me wired! I hope they work for everyone else, but I feel bound to point out that it is not 100% effective for all.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby ixel-chick » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:43 pm

Zia2014 wrote: I can't agree with your last statement that they *do* work for fatigue.

Exactly - not for you, but they do work for those it works for. :-D

To quote myself from further up:
for those it helps

Just today I was chatting with someone online who saw blood everywhere when they were on duloxetine! Not a good side effect, but that doesn't mean everyone will hallocinate on them. She also got increased heart rate from milnacipran, so couldn't take that either. But that doesn't mean everyone will get increased heart rate.

So yes - the SNRIs help for fatigue! The question is will it help "you" (not to you, Zia, just as a general comment :-D )? And that's where people will never know unless they try. They might see blood everywhere, they might get worse fatigue, they might get increased heart rate... they might a lot of things... but people might also get better! And if they're lucky, all symptoms of fibro might even go away.
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:03 pm

So we do agree. I was just responding to comments you made earlier which came across to me as they would work for all - when we know and agree that's not the case. So that's fine.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Return to General Topics