weight loss???....

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

weight loss???....

Postby topcatt72 » Sun May 10, 2015 6:44 pm

Hi all,...
A few weeks ago I weighed myself as I knew I'd put on some weight and wanted to know exact figures as a start for me loosing weight...
I started taking slimming shakes 2 times a day, and then a meal....apart from this I drunk only 2-3 coffees (whitener and no sugar) and bout 2-3 litres of water, for snakes I ate fruit......I did this 4 a week then weighed my myself and found I was still the same weight!!!.....
As my fibro /f.a.i is worse from waist down I find it extremely hard to exercise.... But I do try!!.... I walk to local shops and around town (on crutches) plus any other places we go out to on a day out but it's not working!!!
Please please please...... Can anyone give me advise or point me in the right direction so I can finally lose and exercise so I can go back to the Wight I used to be and maintain it..........I'm so sick of being no my size and I hope loosing the weight will take some pressure off my hips, legs knees and feet.....

Thnx :-) :-) :-)
topcatt72
UKFM Member

Re: weight loss???....

Postby bandj » Sun May 10, 2015 8:14 pm

Hi,

I can really empathise with you as I used to be a size 12/14. Since fibro took hold I've gone up to a sisd 20 which feels awful. I do have under active thyroid and I'm on 175 mg s day but that's not helping. I do walk when I can but my arthritis has flared up so I can't walk far at all.

if the thyroxine doesn't help me soon, I plan to ask for weight loss surgery. I hardly eat cake etc as hubby is diabetic so we're on a low fat low sugar diet.

I'm sorry that I can't be any help, I wish I could. Have you talked to your gp? He may be able to suggest something.
There are these three things that remain: faith, hope and love. And the greatest of these is LOVE.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Mon May 11, 2015 11:07 am

I'm not really keen on 'slimming' replacement foods like shakes, I think it is much better to have real food :) The key to weight loss is reducing your calories - you may still have been taking in too many calories with your two shakes, 'normal' dinner and fruit. I have a friend who has had great success losing weight by using one of those calorie trackers - the one she used was My Fitness Pal, but there are others. If you record everything you eat, it will calculate the calories so you can see how many you are consuming in a day - you may be surprised! Try and eat as many vegetables as you can - they are low calorie so you can have more of them :-) And watch your portion size of the other stuff - even 'healthy' food like fruit will make you put on weight if you eat too much of it.

Good luck with it :-)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Mon May 11, 2015 3:34 pm

carolad wrote:I'm not really keen on 'slimming' replacement foods like shakes, I think it is much better to have real food :) The key to weight loss is reducing your calories - you may still have been taking in too many calories with your two shakes, 'normal' dinner and fruit. I have a friend who has had great success losing weight by using one of those calorie trackers - the one she used was My Fitness Pal, but there are others. If you record everything you eat, it will calculate the calories so you can see how many you are consuming in a day - you may be surprised! Try and eat as many vegetables as you can - they are low calorie so you can have more of them :-) And watch your portion size of the other stuff - even 'healthy' food like fruit will make you put on weight if you eat too much of it.

Good luck with it :-)

Or it can go the other way and if your not eating enough the body will store fat and eating that bit more will kick off the metabolism an weight should start to fall off. Eating little and often they say is the key.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby carolad » Tue May 12, 2015 11:28 am

*Lisa* wrote:
Or it can go the other way and if your not eating enough the body will store fat and eating that bit more will kick off the metabolism an weight should start to fall off. Eating little and often they say is the key.

I would have thought that too, but recent research is going against that theory. Who knows...there is so much conflicting advice out there!

A danger of very low calorie diets is that you can lose muscle as well as fat, and that really isn't good. You want to build up your muscle as much as possible, because muscle burns more calories, even at rest. So very low calorie diets should be combined with some sort of weight training to preserve your muscle :-)

I think any diet that is too restrictive won't work in the long term. Portion size is probably the one most important thing to bear in mind. You can eat absolutely ANYTHING you like, as long as you limit your portions :-)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Tue May 12, 2015 3:58 pm

Also to remember.....muscle weighs more than fat. As you work out a little more you may lose fat but gain muscle, therefore the scales may be slow in moving. I agree, eat regular foods in moderation.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby bandj » Tue May 12, 2015 8:53 pm

We're vegetarian so eat lots of fresh veggies. I tend to fill us up on veggies, hubby sometimes says his plate is all veg! I do wstch potion sizes as hubby has a very healthy appetite! Even if we go out for lunch I tend to stick to a plain jacket potato or omelette. So far the extra throxyine doesn't seem to be having much effect but I'm due to see my gp st the end of the month so I'll speak to him about my weight then.
There are these three things that remain: faith, hope and love. And the greatest of these is LOVE.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Return to General Topics