[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Fibro unfriendly work place

Fibro unfriendly work place

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibro unfriendly work place

Postby thejudge » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:56 pm

Hey guys, first time posted. I've not yet been diagnosed with fm but it's looking more likely. I've been off work for the past 5 weeks with depression and flare ups. I was called into work and was sideswiped by a 2 on one bulling session with some managers. The basic jist of the conversation was, off the record of corse, that if I was diagnosed with fm then they would find a way to get rid of me as they don't want someone who will be off all the time for what they think is years as at a time. They then went on and said my lifestyle was crap and I was fat. Which was nice! Needless to say they made things worse with the stress levels. I can manage with the pain normally and get on with things but it's sometimes it gets too much and I can't walk. Mine mostly just manifests as a 24 hour 7 day a week headache, back and knees. Sometimes other places join in for fun which again is nice.

So this is how I've been treated by a large company ive worked 11 years for. I've never been so disgusted by the way I've been treated.

Has anyone else had this from an employer. If so what did you do about it???

Thanks guys, hope everyone's having a pain free day! :-D
thejudge
UKFM Newbie

Re: Fibro unfriendly work place

Postby TheHud » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:55 pm

Stick it out as long as you can and tape every meeting you have of any kind. Get everything in writing. Yes I got got.
TheHud
UKFM Member

Postby Icarus » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:48 pm

Like TheHud says, I would record everything on paper or voice record it. Try and get witnesses if at all possible. Get some advice from ACAS and The Citizens Advice Bureau.
I'm 99.9% sure this is illegal. Purely because it might technically fall into violating the Equality and Diversity Act which everyone including all employees and employers have to abide by, by law.

If this is how a company you've worked for for 11 years acts... I am appalled. I sincerely hope that they get what's coming to them, and I sincerely hope you find a way to lower your stress levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eBay store: One.Stop.Warehouse

I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell, I know right now you can't tell. But soon enough, you're gonna think of me. And how I used to be...me
- Matchbox Twenty: 'Unwell'
Icarus
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:02 am

What a dreadful way to treat an employee.

Do you have a HR department that can help.

I certainly would not go to another meeting without having someone with me. :shooting: :fireman:

Good luck and don't let them beat you down. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby Icarus » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:34 am

You are legally entitled to have someone sit in on meetings like this. Who it is depends on your employer's policy. It's usually a union member or another employee though

I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell, I know right now you can't tell. But soon enough, you're gonna think of me. And how I used to be...me
Icarus
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:36 pm

Are you in an union or have one you can join? Do you have an HR dept?

Tell them you refuse to go to another meeting without having someone with you, due to your disability. Even if it is an informal meeting (which that was, hence you weren't warned and no notes were taken) you can argue that you need someone with you due to your disability, as an advocate and to help you remember as fibro can cause memory loss.

Do not go into another meeting without someone with you. If your union can't help, go to HR and tell them what happened as I am willing to bet they didn't know and would be horrified at what the managers said. Actually f*ck it, tell them whether you have a union rep or not, but if you do take them with you. Ask them if they were aware of the meeting and what would be said. Tell them you have made notes of what was said as far as you can remember (make them now!) and tell HR you consider it may amount to bullying. That will scare the life out of them, trust me.

This is not on, especially with them being two of them, and I can tell you exactly what to do if it carries on.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby TheHud » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:55 pm

You need advocacy. I have no idea if this lot can help but its worth a try to find someone who is going to be your voice. This is not exactly you but who knows, contact them and try, if that is what you want.

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/access-work
TheHud
UKFM Member

Postby CuriousMoon » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:42 am

I think we worked for the same company, my Dr said he couldn't find out what's wrong so he will put it down to CFS cos thats what he diagnoses when people still moan after doing tests... :roll: my employer said it was a made up condition,a year later I'm still a medical mystery, try not to take it to heart, I did and cried my eyes out the night I got home, don't let the you know what's grind you down, you don't need to prove anything to them.
CuriousMoon
UKFM Newbie

Postby Icarus » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:33 am

Icarus
UKFM Member

Postby Icarus » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:35 am

Icarus
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:36 pm

Off the record or not......this needs to be reported.

I am not sure what the procedure is in the UK, however where I live what they did is against the law. Here we would call the Labour board, Canadian safety association and the Ontario human rights.

It is a companies responsibility to provide both a safe environment , mentally and physically. When you are bullied and it effects your health then it is against the law.

If it were me then I would contact any and all departments I could. At least a file would be started and then if you were dismissed, bullied or harrassed again then you have a file open.

If your company wants to make comments on your health and ability to do your job, ask them to please inform you in writing and don't start a conversation without someone with you. I think you need to inform people if the conversation is being recorded.

Don't allow them to walk all over you. The law is with you I am sure.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby CuriousMoon » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:06 pm

CuriousMoon
UKFM Newbie

Postby Icarus » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:39 pm

That sounds absolutely horrendous! I'm glad you're out of that environment because it would have only made your illness worse

Icarus
UKFM Member

Return to General Topics