who in your family dosent undertand your illness

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

who in your family dosent undertand your illness

Postby princess » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:54 pm

is there someone in your family that just dosent get it?

I will start

MY selfish Son!!!!!
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby gillshutt » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:31 pm

Hven't come across anyone yet, neither friends nor family.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby princess P » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:53 pm

:x A lot of people in my family just dont get it. My mother says a toung girl like you should not be tierd and sore. My kids do not understand why mummys always sore and knackerd, and my boyfriend is the worst of all as he does not acknolage any thing is wrong with me i am just a mad cow. Well since it is a new year and a new start I think he should be the first thing I should say goodbye too, with my kids and my uni i cannot put up with him putting me down or sucking the little life i have out of me. I have friends who are supportive but it maakes you feel alone when the ones you love dont understand the first thing about how this illness can affect you.
Hi any one I have a preliminary diagnosis of chronic widespread pain syndrome, whatever that is but g.p. is convinced its F.M. Sending out good vibes to all . x
princess P
UKFM Member

who in your family dosent understand

Postby jeannie45 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:22 am

most of my family,my fauly realy because thers to much to explain so iv told them its arthritis[,my daughter came round tiday boyfriend trouble]
i h got a wobble on she never seen me do that before i nearly went on the floor i think she was shocked more than i was,but she is a good caring daughter,im luky my hubby understands and is supportive :)
just because i have fms ,its still me inside
jeannie45
UKFM Member

Postby sammi » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:11 am

hya everyone :)

I have a sister who doesnt get my illness at all. Ive just given up work because of the fms and all i get know is ive worked all my life blah blah blah. I have worked all my life plus brought 3 children up and still doing it but because i am ten years younger than her she thinks im trying to get out of work!!!! Some days i carnt even get out of bed!. I do find sometomes you have to justify your self. even though you shouldnt have to. But it can take alot of explaining this illness to people because not alot of people have heard of it unless they know someone who as it. :) sammi
sammi
UKFM Member

Postby juliet » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:22 am

i think my mum trys to get it but she makes me feel like she doesnt, she is very good at phrasing things like she is blaming me or just coz i am ill she can treat me like im 5 again. she acknowleges im ill but doesnt get it at all!!

i tried to talk to my boyfriend about it this evening as well, ive been really ill all over the christmas period and have been finding it really getting me down and find it very frustrating that all of my friends have loads of energy and are meeting up for things and going out together and i cant join in.
i tried to just explain how i was feeling to him and appologise for flying off the handle a few times recently but ive ben feeling very emotional, frustrated trapped etc and said look im not moaning im just trying to explain so maybe you understand why i have emotional days and what im going though. firstly he was very un sympathetic and just kept telling me i would get used to it in time (i dont want to!) and then went on to tell me its fine everyone needs a moan when ever you need a moan feel free etc.
i wasnt moaning... if he wanted moaning i could have given him moaning :D i was just trying to explain it to him and it has to be said i got the impression he was hardly listening... oh well maybe i deserve it for being arsey recently!
Juliet xxx

Happiness is not getting what you want, it is being content with what you have.
juliet
UKFM Member

Postby andypandy08 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:32 am

my bro in law to be

told him I cant sleep told me to get a night shift job

lol i got FMS/Heart problems and am deaf

anyway must go off to swim the channel or do a marathon :x
Fibromyalgia does not define me ~ my spirit does. the path may be different,but the journey is still the same
andypandy08
UKFM Member

Postby Strawberry » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:52 am

My mum (who is a nurse) does not really get it. She sometimes offers no support and just generally does not want to know.

Also 2 of my brothers think i fake half the time :(

So pleased my hubby supports me and you gals here ((hugs))
Strawberry
UKFM Member

Postby cat123 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:17 am

Some of my family understand others dont,but lets face it,if we add up our symptoms,they are incredable,the list is massive,and when we do try and explain,its may sound like moaning ,due to ALL those genuine symptoms.And what if like me,and many others i suspect,have other probs like,foot probs,arthritus,post histerexomy,ect,you know the sort of stuff im mean,What must we sound like to others???
Yet, its all so true,I can start the top of my head,and work all the way down to my feet,and theres something wrong everywhere!!!!.
To top it all,i LOOK fine!!
when someone asks me what fibro is ,i say,its the invisable disability,it effects all your muscles,and causes muscle pain,24/7,if they want to know more i tell them.I find people who care,want to know more!....................cat
cat123
UKFM Member

word association part 3

Postby jeannie45 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:34 am

yes i know what you are saying.when my mum was alive[god bless] she used to say to me have you still got your bad neck ,i could not explain to her what was wrong with me she would not understand.if mum saw me the way i am now she would be upset. :)
just because i have fms ,its still me inside
jeannie45
UKFM Member

Postby cat123 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:32 am

my parents help me ,i feel bad that they do,they are in their late seventies,lucky for me they are both fit as fiddles.It must upset them seeing me like this,but it does make me fight this condition harder,because to me its an ongoing battle,one which i intend to win,she said hopefully..........cat
cat123
UKFM Member

Postby lynn_east » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:38 pm

my mum does not understand what's wrong with me,she will say what's that thing called you have, i will start to tell her,she will cut me off halfway and say oh i know how you fell i have arthritis in my hands, and your sisters not well too she has so and so :x i think why ask if you are not going to listen,so when she ask's i just say i'm fine and leave it at that.
lynn
lynn_east
UKFM Member

Postby star » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:09 pm

That's a shame lynn_east. Not being understood must make you feel so much worse. It happens to us all at times. :(
You will definitely have all your worries acknowledged and get some sympathy on this site whenever you feel it is needed.
I have to admit, that like cat123, I am blessed to still have my parents. They are a great help and support and are also in their late seventies.
Learn to live in the world with hope, love and peace but do not let the rest of the world live too much in you. Take time to enjoy your own company and be your own best friend for life.
star
UKFM Member

Postby pamh » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:59 pm

Well my b/f can never remember what its called, so tells everyone Ive got chlamydia!!! and he wonders why I go mad at him cos he thinks its funny.

Pam
pamh
UKFM Member

Postby star » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:02 am

On a similar note (and I have to say unintentionally) my mum tells everyone that my pain levels are so bad that the doctor has put me on methadone! :oops:
She actually means morphine! :lol:
Learn to live in the world with hope, love and peace but do not let the rest of the world live too much in you. Take time to enjoy your own company and be your own best friend for life.
star
UKFM Member

Next

Return to General Topics