What do you do?

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What do you do?

Postby gillshutt » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:47 pm

Just thought it would be good to share ideas on what we do when were are feeling rough and stuck in on our own... sensible answers only :lol:

I play online games and online jigsaws... usually on Shockwave.

Obviously I come on to FM forums to chat to people or have a moan.

I read but only when I feel I can concentrate... I'm reading a book called The Locust Farm by Jeremy Dronfield at the moment ( a bit weird but I've got in to it. )

I've just got the 100 classic books for DS and will be trying to broaden my mind a bit. The advantage of the DS is you can read at night with the light off.

That's about it for me... what do you do?
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby helen virgo » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:02 pm

Good topic Gill :D

I also have a ds which is great for amusing me even on bad days. I actually use it at night as well when I can't sleep.

Other things I do are puzzle mags, anything really to try and distract myself.

If my hands are okay then I sometimes do card making or cross stitch etc.
helen virgo
UKFM Member

Postby hitbyabus » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:07 pm

well i'm new to the forum as up until wednesday the 28th i had no idea what FM was and had no idea i had it.

I've been stuck indoors for the last 6 months after getting hit by a bus at work, after to many MRI scans xrays bone scans nerve scans ect i finally got to see a Rheumatologist and with in 5 minutes was told i had FM and that is why i have been feeling the way i do.

Anyway back to the point i spend time on the internet but my eyes have become light sensitive so i can't spend to long looking at the screen, i read but it makes my headaches worse, i sent my boyfriend out today to get me some wool and kniting needles so i'm going to try and knit but it depends how long my hands want to work for, i watch itv from GMTV till alan titchmarsh whilst laying on the sofa and when i'm having a good day and can move around i do the washing up.

I'm hoping i will have some more good days and be able to go back to work but all my symptoms show that i have chronic FM and the job i used to do is very physical so i don't think i'll get to go back.

So i guess i'll be spending more time on here trying to understand FM better and learning how to cope. :)
hitbyabus
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:23 pm

Read National Enquirer that gies you a good laugh - and Take a Break and all the puzzles - make cards when able - or just watch tv.
Nothing very interesting.
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby andypandy08 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:49 pm

I sit and do my paperwork for a local group I help to run for people less abled than myself

that puts my life in perspective and well gives me a kick , love puzzle books too , and sometimes get around to creating animations on my
pc

heres some of my graphics i create for others

http://public.fotki.com/andymoir/
http://public.fotki.com/wlg/
http://public.fotki.com/andymoir2/

please feel free to take what you want , anyway thats what I like doing
at 3 or so in the morning thats what I like doing
Fibromyalgia does not define me ~ my spirit does. the path may be different,but the journey is still the same
andypandy08
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:55 pm

Very good Andy Pandy - well done you.
I make cards from old greetings cards i get handed in at the house, only from our village.
Anyway i revamp them and they go to an Aberdeen Hospice where they go into the Cafe and are sold for £1 each.
So far last year i made £300 and they managed to buy new quilts and pillows for the day ward.
If you help others worse than yourself it puts things into perspective - i totally agree with you.
and its better than just sitting watching tv or getting depressed.
(Or sitting in bed at 3am thinking up a new post for the holiday) hahaha
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby andypandy08 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:07 pm

Well I have 2 freinds who live locally 1 had ceribal palsy as a child and his wife has Ankylosing spondalitis so my lot isnt that bad I think not compared to those poor soles

so yes puts life into perspective , oh forgot to say when i was a lot fitter loved fishing and swimming unfortunatly do neither now

I love crosswords and do all the comps but have never one diddly squat
readind is good for relaxing too, soi do lots of both
Fibromyalgia does not define me ~ my spirit does. the path may be different,but the journey is still the same
andypandy08
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:33 pm

I won £2260 on the lottery 4 years ago - so after speaking to the family it was decided that Dad and I would go to Australia via Singapore and see my family i had not seen since 1970s.
But we have only had a few £10s since then i guess i have had my luck there, but keep trying 2 lines every week.
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby lynn_east » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:22 pm

I love knitting and make lots things for my grandaughter and family,love reading and playing the DS in the early hours of the morning while hubbby snores his head of :lol:,i have just started to put all the family photos into albums, something i was allways going to do but never had time,now i have plenty of time but not alot of energy :cry:
lynn_east
UKFM Member

Postby velvet » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:53 am

i read - generally titles or at least authors i have read before, but as a true bibliophile that isnt to restricting lol

i also use my computer a lot for both games and forums and have recently managed to start my own forum - nothing to do with fibro, its general discussion and chat for debating anything and open to absolutely everyone. this has made quite a difference to how i feel about myself as i am now back in a position with responsibility to others and i have something tangible to show my brain still works.

i did used to knit - dont think i could concentrate to follow a pattern now, and i would love to be able to get back horse riding - the last time i rode i had to be lifted off the horse - ultra embarrasing!!. in summer i fish - i have a chair and just go and sit by the river or lake pulling out the occasional fish out - excellant mild exercise and a real thrill when that float gos down.

having read the other posts i am serioulsy going to look at getting myself a DS - however will have to find a way of hiding it from my kids as they will all want one too lol.
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby gillshutt » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:03 am

My DS is supposed to be shared with my youngest but he doesn't get a look in and has to borrow his brothers :lol: The DS books are great and you can read more than one at a time as each book has 3 bookmarks so you can dip in and out of books when you feel like it. Also a few of them are short stories.. Sherlock Holmes and Edgar Allen Poe so you don't need too much of a brain. :D
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

what do i do

Postby ellen b » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:06 am

Hi, on good days I try and study, I'm in my 3rd year of OU degree.
I also when hands will allow enjoy making things with beads, I find it very relaxing. I like to draw and paint. I haven't been able to embroider or cross stitch for a while. Hopefully it is something I will be able to do in the future.
I enjoy going on the computer, looking up various things, playing games and having a natter on the forum.
When its warmer I try and go down the stables for a visit, i give some of the minature horses a cuddle and on good days a groom and also going pole fishing with my hubby and daughter I found that I couldn't manage the winder so this is a good compromise.
Also we all try and get away in the caravan, we bought an old one last year and this year I'm going to aim to get away.
This year I'm sending off for our passports and applying for provisional licence.
Oh nearly forgot I am going to be the big 40 in two weeks so I going to have a party if anybody is in the bournemouth area on the 14th drop me a line.
Take care Ellen :D
ellen b
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:29 am

I forgot to say I too draw.. I draw my own cards and have just sent off for a 'How to Draw Manga' book as I thought I'd try something new.

Happy Birthday for two weeks time Ellen my 51st is next month :shock: don't know where that time went... I'm a lot younger in my head :lol:
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

what do you do

Postby jeannie45 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:13 pm

i have started painting again ,just started one yesterday ,but only do a bit at a time now ,only until mt hands give up ,i love my compter i read news fashion,beuaty at just surfe the net, and im on facebook because my family are on there too its good to keep in touch with them al :)
just because i have fms ,its still me inside
jeannie45
UKFM Member

Postby MISS BUNNYPENNY » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:56 pm

I seem to live more and more in the vitual world I had a DS for xmas and now run a pets saloon with attached appartment [sims apartment pets]also I have to look after 5 vitual dogs take them for a walk and so on [labrador and friends] yes I know its for kids but I'm allergic to most pets so give us a break also brain training [ I refuse to tell you brain age at the moment :oops: ] also some games on the ds. is that sad all what
thinking of getting the one on books soon.
Is anyone else suffering with cabin fever at the moment only been out twice since boxing day and that was to the hospital.
coventry brittle kid
I LIKE WALKING IN THE RAIN -NO 1 SEES YOUR TEARS
LORD=keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth....AMEN
Sarcasm-Its beats killing people/
Just when I was getting used to yesterday,along came today.
MISS BUNNYPENNY
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to General Topics