Re speach soft wear for PC ?

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re speach soft wear for PC ?

Postby pollyanna » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:47 am

:) Hi everyone, I have seen a few post that mention something that can be used so you can just speak to the computer.
This would be great for me as I would like to chat more but find it very difficalt typing.
Can anyone telll me how this works, where I might get it and if you can get help from anyone to get it?

Be glad of any help

Best Wishes to all :)
Pollyanna.
pollyanna
UKFM Member

Postby smoky » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:45 am

hi there
I havent used it yet, nor do i know how much it cost as my dad bought it for me, but i have the software ;
it is called Dragon, Naturally Speaking 9 - sppeech recognition software - will be up loading it soon so will be able to say more then
michele
smoky
UKFM Member

re PC

Postby pollyanna » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:38 pm

Hi Michele,
Thanks for your reply, I will look into it on line and see how much it is, and I will look out for your post when you have tried it.

Thanks again.
Best Wishes.
Pollyanna. :)
pollyanna
UKFM Member

Postby Corinne » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:58 pm

Quite often your computer may have speech recognition built in somewhere- so check that before buying a new product.

I have Wndows XP & I checked in the "control panel" & I do have it!

If you dont though "Dragon" does seem to be the one most people recommend.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Corinne
UKFM Member

Speach recognition

Postby pollyanna » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:26 pm

Hi Corinne, :)
thanks, I will get my son to see if I have it on my computer.

Best Wishes.
Pollyanna :)
pollyanna
UKFM Member

Postby Kayzee » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:33 pm

I have used Dragon 10 for a while, once you teach it words etc, it gets more accurate, but its causing me problems with my TMJD and increasing my face and neck pain - so be careful if you have jaw probs. If you can, get a digital headset rather than the once supplied in the box, as it picks up more clearly and is more accurate.
Kayzee
UKFM Member

speech software

Postby ellen b » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:45 pm

Hi my name is ellen and I use Dragon naturally speaking 9.5 it took 20 mins to set up and was supplied to me by the open university to enable me to complete my degree. I also work in a government office and some of my colleagues on the disability network use dragon and a couple of other makes as they are mostly partially sighted or blind.
I'm not sure how much it costs but you can have a look on the internet for prices. I would also make sure your system is capable of running it as my home computer couldn't so ou gave me this lightweight notebook, I also can talk into my dictaphone that was also supplied and it will transcribe it for me. It saves me so much pain and time.
The only thing I have to remember is the commands and forgetting it is switched on. I was talking to my daughter and it was typing it across the screen and she started laughing and was in a fit of giggles and could not tell me what was so funny, it was only when I looked back at the screen I realised it had typed what i had said. It is only trained to my voice so it will not pick up anyones elses. It can look like a one sided conversation.
It also spells better than I do but it sometimes can make mistakes so I have to double check occassionally.
Hope this information has been useful. Take care. Ellen :)
ellen b
UKFM Member

voice recognition

Postby pollyanna » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:30 pm

Hi Kayzee Hand Ellen, :D
Thanks for all the info that has helped alot,
I have found that there is some sort of system already set up on my computer so I am going to give that ago first and if I get on with it ok I will get the Dragon version as everyone has recommended that one.
Thanks everyone for all the help.

Best Wishes to you all,
Pollyanna. :)
pollyanna
UKFM Member

Postby luuluu » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:59 pm

Hi

I can't believe I have got this on my computer and didn't know, I have been struggling to type essays for my open university so far as I was waiting for them to supply the dragon software. Am going to plug in my headset and give it a whirl.

Thanks Corinne

luuluu
xxxxx
what other people think of me is really none of my business
luuluu
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:25 pm

Can't find it on my lappy :(
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby MISS BUNNYPENNY » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:30 pm

I have it amazing but need a new headset its been an interesting day with making the pages bigger and now this thanks folks
coventry brittle kid
I LIKE WALKING IN THE RAIN -NO 1 SEES YOUR TEARS
LORD=keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth....AMEN
Sarcasm-Its beats killing people/
Just when I was getting used to yesterday,along came today.
MISS BUNNYPENNY
UKFM Regular

Postby MCT » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:45 pm

gillshutt wrote:Can't find it on my lappy :(

I didn't realise that I had voice recognition on mine until a couple of minutes ago. I have Vista and found it under:

Control Panel\Ease of Access\Speech Recognition Options
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/FMClinics/

My get up and go just got up and went!!!

As you slide down the bannister of life, may all the splinters be facing in the right direction :)
MCT
UKFM Member

Postby smoky » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:17 pm

i have found it on my computer but it is french; oh well I will upload the dragon stuff as well and have voice recog in both french and english
smoky
UKFM Member

Return to General Topics