silly phone call a while ago!

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

silly phone call a while ago!

Postby princess » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:53 pm

I used to help an association with animal problems (phone) - and you will never believe this but a lady called to say she had a problem with her collie.
Well my head started spinning with collie problems, what she may ask etc., and she says ' my dog cant open its mouth'!!!!!!!! Its stuck, he cant open his mouth, hes going mad pulling at his mouth with his paws!!!!
She was really upset and crying - and i was trying to keep her calm and saying the usual -has he had a fall? has he been out and hit by a car? move your hands over him and see if anything is sore? Have you gave him or has anyone else given him anything sticky to eat? no!!!!
She just kept saying no, no, no, no.
10 mins later i was getting exasperated no no no no!
By now i was almost out of suggestions - when he hubby comes on the phone and says she is forgetting to tell you that her elderly mum gave the dog a mars bar earlier on!!!!!!! :oops: :oops:

Answer at last - Oh my god - that's most definately an answer to the problem - not funny for the dog at all!!!
So all i could say was i think you had better phone your Vet and explain, before the dog gets very upset. They may need to sedate him and clean his teeth at the worst senario, so be prepared for a small bill!!!

Anyway all was well at then end, it was sedated and its teeth cleaned - a very valuable lesson for us all, but costly.

Dont give your animals anything with toffee in it, especially Mars Bars.

(My wee dog like Maltesers when working!!! But only one or two from a elderly lady and i was there when he got them) - but chocolage is not a good idea for any animal.

princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby gillshutt » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:47 pm

Stupid woman :roll:
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby velvet » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:33 pm

i avoid human chocolate for dogs - apparentely it can be poisonous for them and i do not want to prove that the hard way. also did you know if a racehorse gets hold of chocolate (and most horses given half a chance will go for it lol) and is drug tested then it will be disqualified for being doped?
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby gillshutt » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:16 am

HERE is an explaination about dogs and chocolate. As you can see it depends on the size of the dog and amount of chocolate as to whether it will have an effect.

Our first dog, a border collie/lab cross once ate 6 boxes of Elizabeth Arden mints without any side effects at all... apart from a sore bum :evil: They were Christmas presents I'd wrapped and left out to give to people.

On a similar sunbejt my boxer who is now 9 had eaten a whole packet of co-codamol... twice!!! He ripped open my husbands rucksack to get to them and chewed them all out of the wrappers... he's still alive :roll:

This christmas he ate a bar of soap froma rather posh pack of three that was for my mum :x Now that made him throw up :(
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby motherelephant » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:02 pm

a few years ago when our min shnauzer was still alive we woke up to find 20 snickers wrappers licked perfectly clean. my husband had brought them home from the shop in acarrier bag and hung them over the chair back and forgotton ab out them .pepe had chewed through the carrier somehow taken all the wrappers off and eaten the choc bars, we watched him closely all day but goodness knows how it didnt affect him apart from being more thirsty he was such a naughty dog but so funny and loving. miss him loads. motherelle.
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby princess » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:38 pm

Gill

You have no idea what some people come on the phone to ask.
But then there are those who have lost an animal or its terminal and they are just crushed.
Keep this quiet in the village or else they would bombard me with questions.
Already had a woman with a westie at the door asking how to deal with it - lovely wee dog but a nutter of an owner.
fiona
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby motherelephant » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:10 pm

i know how they feel it took me ages to get over the death of pepe. whenever i see another shnauzer i have to go and have a little stroke. as i said before when it gets warmer and i feel ok im going to help my son at the animal sanctury i might even foster a dog.
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby princess » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:12 pm

there is a wee westie on our local rescue - she is a wee westie called Molly aged 3 - if only i could walk her id be up there right now. Just have to dream eh
:cry: :cry:
princess
UKFM Regular

dogs eating purse

Postby sunnyc » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:03 am

my mum's german shepherd puppies ate her handbag purse and mobile phone twice lol the pound coins had teeth marks and she needed new bank cards
one of them now cant resist soothers if we forget and leave them out and she fully understands several words including chocolate (doggie stuff), chinese and curry (its her fav)
we have to be so careful what we say and talk in code lol
cx
sunny thoughts from sunnyc
sunnyc
UKFM Member

Oscar

Postby ellen b » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:31 am

Our German shepherd did a classic when he was younger, hubby spoke to colleague a police dog trainer who told him about buying a puppy crate, sitting in his bed and moving his food around to show who was alpha leader.
Oscar had a better idea he got out of the puppy crate and chewed a line from the back door to the kitchen door right through the middle of £450 neoprene cushion flooring and then pooped everywhere. First thing I knew about it was hubby yelling expletives as he had come down without his slippers and trodden in poo :oops: Oscar just looked at him to say who is alpha leader now mate :D
ellen b
UKFM Member

Dog trainning

Postby ellen b » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:39 am

Hubby has just reminded me of the times we tried to take Oscar dog training.
Norm took Oscar to the class he was as good as gold, as soon as he put him in the car he pooed. Norm thought never mind first time nerves. Took him again and walked him for ages after class, put him in the car and he pooed again. Third time took him walked him before and after the class, put Oscar in the car and the familiar aroma suddenly erupted :oops: Norm got hold of Oscar and rubbed his nose in the poo and proceeded to rub in the offending mess. Then realized oh dear I have rubbed him in the poo its all over the dog & car and I have still got to go home.
He came down the drive and the first words were dont let dog in the house, hosed him down outside, then Norm spent ages cleaning up the car.
Oscar looked up and basically had demonstrated, take me to dog training and this is my response. As you might of guessed we have never taken him again. I wonder why :?
ellen b
UKFM Member

Postby Mr.A » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:30 pm

Just a quick question, howcome people's mouths don't get stuck shut when they eat Mars bars, but dog's do?
Mr.A
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:29 pm

Dogs don't have chewing teeth like we do - as carnivores they have teeth suitable for tearing meat, not chewing mars bars.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby gillshutt » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:44 pm

As Linz said, dogs molars are sharp and have pointed bits not flat like ours so they get wedged as they can't move them sideways across each other.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Return to General Topics