[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Disabled presenter

Disabled presenter

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Disabled presenter

Postby anne1206 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:57 pm

durate et vosmet rebus servate secundis///>Carry on and preserve yourselves for better times
anne1206
UKFM Member

Postby Kayzee » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:08 pm

Kayzee
UKFM Member

Postby hitbyabus » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:52 pm

hitbyabus
UKFM Member

Postby smoky » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:06 pm

oh for goodness sake!! what a load of old cobblers - i have taught 2-7 year olds for many years and they have never shown fear of disability; interest yes,; my dad is in a wheelchair and has often been asked why are you in a pushchair? or why dont you walk? but no child has ever been afraid.
In my experience up to 5 years kids rarely see difference as important, or even see it unless told by an adult; I once asked a balck and a white child to state differences between aech other aged around 5 yrs. Both listed height, weight, clothes etc but neither noticed that they were a different colour!!

The parents in this article are bigoted idiots who will raise bigots; it is a real shame
smoky
UKFM Member

Postby Corinne » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:53 pm

I heard about this & I agree it is disgusting. Children dont notice this kind of thing except as a passing curiosity.
My kids have asked questions like "why is that man in a big buggy etc"- I say that his legs dont work properly etc- end of conversation!

Smoky's example is a good one too- my mum tells me that when I was at playgroup/nursery once I was all excited about my new friend & I rattled on about her when my mum picked me up. My mum asked me which little girl she was- I described her pink dress, her hair being in bunches etc- but that could have been 2 or 3 different girls. I went and got her & introduced her to my mum- she was the ONLY black girl in the room.

Children learn the negative reactions from their parents- even when my kids have asked loudly "whats wrong with that person?" etc, I ALWAYS answer them as honestly & clearly as I can- however embarrassing it may feel, because how else will they understand?
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Corinne
UKFM Member

Postby lorikitten » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:45 am

My children don't think anything is wrong with her, they know that everyone is different for different reasons. One of the teachers at their school only has one arm and one false so that the children can hold her hand.

The presenter (can't remember her name) seems a very nice woman, if parents have a problem with it and can't be bothered to eplain to their children then they should change the channel.

Simple.
lorikitten
UKFM Member

Postby Beanie.J » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:11 pm

I remember mentioning something that happened to me recently in a supermarket near where I live and all I have to say is what a friend said to me:

Parents who cannot be bothered to explain this stuff to their kids are the reason why kids grow up not knowing anything about anything and not wanting to either.

It's very sad that people are so narrow-minded.
Beanie.J
UKFM Member

Return to General Topics