sunday lunch

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

sunday lunch

Postby samantha louise » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:30 am

where i coe from we call it sunday dinner and eat it at lunch time, am cooking for the inlaws today!! so, who else eats sunday lunchaon sundays?
silly question, do you all have yorkshire puds or is it a yorkshire thing, ive always wanted to know that!!!

im a wee bit strange, i know!!
samantha - louise
and my two little wiggles!
xxx

fuddle off... no,... YOU fuddle off!!
samantha louise
UKFM Regular

Postby mamax9 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:34 am

used to do Sunday lunch every week till the kids grew up....now there is just me and OH and he wouldn't eat it if I could cook it. The two kids who are still at home are both restaurant workers so they work Sundays sometimes till the early hours of Monday. Yes always yorkshire puddings but then I am a Yorkshire lass![/b]
mamax9
UKFM Member

Postby gilly54 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:37 am

we only have this occasionally now. But when we do, it's usually later in teh day, around 4.30. I can't cope with doing it, OH isn't that fussed on it and my son couldn't care less so hardly makes it worth the effort. I actually enjoy it.
gilly54
UKFM Member

Postby auroura » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:43 am

I love Sunday lunch as do 3 of the 4 rugrats (kids) i dont cook it very often now, yes love yorkie puds.

Sharon
Sharon

Bad is never good until worse happens
auroura
UKFM Member

Postby samantha louise » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:46 am

apparently (according to nigella) you can have yourshire puds as a pudding with cream and golden syrup!!

i suppose its just like puffed up pancakes................
samantha - louise
xxx

samantha louise
UKFM Regular

Postby gilly54 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:00 am

well I love Yorkshires with gravy on but I'd never thought of trying them with cream instead :? mind you, when you think about it, they probably would work.
gilly54
UKFM Member

Postby motherelephant » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:19 am

Well im a yorkshire lass through and through but not that keen on yorkshire pudding.All my sons love it so when they are all home i cook them for them.

motherelle.x
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby samantha louise » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:23 am

aah thats good of you motherelle
x
samantha - louise
xxx

samantha louise
UKFM Regular

Postby gillshutt » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:14 am

We always have Sunday Dinner (at lunchtime... dinner is the main meal of the day no matter when you eat it) Hubby makes it. We always have yorkshire puddings.. it's one of my favourite bits but then both families are from the NE so maybe that's why.

Managed to get some cheap beef this week so horseradish sauce as well Yum :D
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby MCT » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:50 pm

Must admit I do like yorkie puds so do hubby and young son - I often ready to bake/heat up ones instead of puff pastry if I am doing a casserole (hubby likes steak pie so this is a compromise) - saves time and is less messy than pastry.

Used to go out with someone who's Mum was from Yorkshire. When she did Sunday lunch she always served the yorkshire pud with gravy as a starter before the meal and not with the roast itself. She said it was traditional to do it that way.
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/FMClinics/

My get up and go just got up and went!!!

As you slide down the bannister of life, may all the splinters be facing in the right direction :)
MCT
UKFM Member

Postby samantha louise » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:55 pm

that is the traditional "yorkshire" way of serving it, but a lot of people dont bother. the first time my hubby came round to my mums an we had sunday dinner, she served the yorkshires first amd hubby recently confesses, thats all he thought we were giving him!
samantha - louise
xxx

samantha louise
UKFM Regular

Postby motherelephant » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:18 pm

Depends on the family tradition My family always have it with the meal whereas my friends family serve it first.Either way it goes down well.My mom use to put onion in sometimes. Do you have little individual ones or big one cut in pieces ,we have big one. motherelle.x
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

sunday lunch on a saturday

Postby ellen b » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:37 pm

We went down the bungalow that we are swapping with and got invited totally unexpectedly to dinner turns out it was the best sunday roast including all the trimming we had eaten in ages and with some really wonderful company, not only are we swapping for an adapted bungalow which will make life easier but have gained two lovely friends.
ellen b
UKFM Member

Postby joanypops » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:58 pm

Well reading this post was well timed cos me & my hubby have just finished the washing up. We have sunday dinner EVERY sunday. We always have a joint of meat & yorkshires home made small round ones made in a muffin tray. My family as you can tell are creatures of habit.I have to admit sometimes i wish i could just lie in. My husband will say "lie in and i will do it but i feel soooo guilty and cant relax. Mad arent I :roll:
joanypops
UKFM Member

yes

Postby taffeeapple » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:08 pm

We have sunday luch every other weekend, cus the kids got to their dads evry other sunday. I f we dont have roast on sun then we have it usually tuesday.

Yes everytime with yorkshire puds, yum yum yum.Dont make my own, buy frozen, cant manage it anymore.

I am starving now, just thinking bout it.

caroline x
I like to shake it, but the fibro does it for me.
taffeeapple
UKFM Member

Next

Return to General Topics