[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Disabled Loo Access...........

Disabled Loo Access...........

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Disabled Loo Access...........

Postby Ivyleaf » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:34 pm

My son took me to a town 25 miles away and by the time we got there I needed the loo. I use a Sholley Trolley as a walking aid and anyone who has one of those knows there is no way you can 'fit' into a normal public loo - apart from which I find the low seats difficult to 'reach' !!! So use disabled loos.

BUT - I was utterly shocked to find that the Disabled Loo was LOCKED. Now where on earth was I supposed to get a key from to get it ???

In the end nature being urgent I simply had to hobble into an ordinary loo and hang onto the loo roll dispenser like a grab rail to sit down. Now that's just not right.

I'd made a note to pop into the office near the car park that dealt with the 'mobility scooters'. It was from this lady that I learned you have to BUY A KEY for the Disabled Loo from the local council. However, she did 'assure' me that one key fitted ALL Disabled Loos around the country.

I had NEVER EVER known or been 'advised' of this by anyone - why would I - and I would never have known where to obtain a key. Talk about keep this a secret.

So what about all those folk like me who need to use a Disabled Loo but have no key??? I was lucky enough to be able to still use - with difficulty admittedly - an ordinary loo but NO Disabled Loo should be locked - thats cruel. :evil:
Ivyleaf

Postby highlandlass » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:46 pm

I've had this too. Someone once said it was to keep ablebodies out. In Italy I got a key from the cafe waitress - at least I got it :roll:
highlandlass
UKFM Member

Postby Quatermass » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:54 pm

It's a good idea that disabled toilets are locked, then those who need them can be more sure that they are in clean working order. In some cases it's the only place they have access to if they are wheelchair users. Everyone would use them if they weren't locked and it's not really a secret, that the toilets are owned by the council.
Quatermass
UKFM Member

Postby Ivyleaf » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:15 pm

Ivyleaf

Postby Quatermass » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Quatermass
UKFM Member

key

Postby taffeeapple » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:55 pm

I like to shake it, but the fibro does it for me.
taffeeapple
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:00 pm

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby highlandlass » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:10 pm

Useful info, Thanks :D
highlandlass
UKFM Member

Radar Key

Postby ellen b » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:43 pm

I bought my radar key from keep able they also have online service to order the Radar Keys.
Hope this helps
ellen b
UKFM Member

Postby BlackSheep » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:45 pm

Lol I didn't know any of that either. Hmmm. I don't have a blue badge and am really in doubt that I could get one, but that's a pain because I could really do with the toilet access.

Having had severe IBS all my life (yet another thing to thank our friend fibro for) I have had so many experiences of having to ask to use pub tiolets or having to try and convince the train station people that I don't want to use drugs in their toilets, I just want to sit in the crying for half an hour while making very little progress. *eyeroll*

I'm always very unsure about using disabled toilets as I can use normal ones (with great difficulty some days admittadly) and there are those who really can't and also of courfse the only thing to show I'm ill is me limping or having a stick some days, and anyone could do that and having a stick at my age looks like I'm faking it, and I get SO many glares and horrible comments if I do use disabled toilets on days where I can barely bend from the pain in my back and hips.

One of my problems wqith a lot of things actually is that I always feel like other people need things more, it's one of the things my friend is trying to work on with me. I don't know, yeh it hurts me to stand up in a bus but surely a woman with a child needs the front seats more than me!

And of course the other thing is the nasty comments. Yeh, 'cause having to use a stick at 23 isn't hard enough already!!

Anyway I digress. I didn't know about the key, and will keep an eye out for that. Mind you, I'm not in public much any more these days anyway lol.
You say I look as though I am having a bad day? To me this is just a day.

The Black Sheep

We can live with dignity - we can't die with it.
- House
BlackSheep
UKFM Member

Postby Corinne » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:36 pm

You can buy RADAR keys from here, you don't need any proof of disability- you just state your condition. They are £3.50.

Last edited by Corinne on Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Corinne
UKFM Member

Postby MCT » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:38 pm

You can get the RADAR keys from Radar themselves for £3.50 ea + P&P or from http://www.youreableshop.co.uk where if you are buying more than 1 you may be cheaper (if you know others who need the keys this is the cheapest I've found).

Don't forget you can get VAT exemption if you fill out the exemption forms.
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/FMClinics/

My get up and go just got up and went!!!

As you slide down the bannister of life, may all the splinters be facing in the right direction :)
MCT
UKFM Member

Postby gilly54 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:06 am

I was told about the keys a few years ago by the customer care lady at our local Asda. I needed the loo and couldn't get in to the disabled one because it was locked. Went to the CC desk and asked for advice, they told me where I could buy a key but unlocked the loo for me.I was using a wheelchair at the time ( use a scooter more now) and there was no way I could have used the normal loo. I bought mine from the local D.I.C.E. shop for around £4 and I keep it in my purse at all times. Asda now leave their disabled loo unlocked.
gilly54
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:15 am

I've never come across a locked disabled loo :shock: maybe it's different in Wales but it seems stupid to me that the council don't tell people before they have an accident :evil:
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby helen virgo » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:30 pm

helen virgo
UKFM Member

Next

Return to General Topics