[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - When is the best time for a support group?

When is the best time for a support group?

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

When is the best time for a support group?

Postby unigirl1981 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:41 pm

I don't know if i have posted in the right area, if i am not allowed to post this here then can admin remove me please?

I am setting up a support group in Doncaster and i have to decide what day and time to have the meetings on. I know what be good for me but was wondering if you could post the best days and times for you if you were to go to a meeting and see if there is a common theme????

Its just to give me an idea of a wide selection of peoples views, thank you for all that reply!!!! i send you all gentle hugs :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Just because you have to park in a blue bay doesn't make you any less of a person!

I am the Chair of Doncaster and District Fibromyalgia Support Group; working with FMAUK and loving it.
unigirl1981
UKFM Member

Re: When is the best time for a support group?

Postby princess » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:02 pm

dont mean to be cheeky here - but well this illness you dont know how you are going to be from day to day, it can differ dramatically.
So i would just decide a day for your group and wait and see who comes.
It probably will change week to week, as per people's illness
Good luck
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby Corinne » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:13 pm

Princess has a point- but personally I would opt for an afternoon or early evening as mornings & getting started are such a nightmare for me & many others I believe!

Also it depends on whether people are working or not- so it does have to be an event that is planned in advance & if successful its best to have either a regular day/time or maybe alternate times to suit different people- like one week have a daytime meeting & another have an evening one etc...

Am I making any sense? :dunno:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Corinne
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:50 pm

Time - i would go for late morning maybe about 10.30 - 11. as it takes me ages to get going - but by afternoon i am knackered.
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby groovy_chick » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:05 pm

Well I don't know if this helps at all but I run a Cancer support group for families whose kids have had cancer. We meet once a month at 7.30pm. The time suited most of us best due to any potential childcare arrangements.
Nuts on the road! nim nim nim
groovy_chick
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:46 pm

Never thought of that, sorry, as i have hubby retired here with a car - but without a car yes the early evening would probably be best for many!
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby gillshutt » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:28 pm

It would have to be during school hours for me or I wouldn't make it... can't do evenings at all as I'm way too sleepy and in pain. The best time for me would be about half nine in the morning but I think I'd probably be on my own :lol:
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby claire edwards » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:10 am

Just to put a cat among the pigeons: the support group that i have attended is always the 1st Wednesday of the month, 2-4pm, quite a few attend.
I know i cant ever do mornings, nothing before noon really then i need to be resting at some point in the afternoon and again from 9pm and so the cycle continues...
However, the problem is that everyone is different but i guess even people without fms are different and times would be an issue even then...
Best thing would be to decide a time and see who turns up as people have already said...when you have had a few sessions you could ask them what times are better or stick with what you have?
Just a thought, hope its not made things worse, im quite good at that.
:crazy:

take care
claire
:wave:
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia, it would be good to hear from people as a form of support and to support.
claire edwards
UKFM Member

Postby samantha louise » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:19 am

id repeet what theothers say how about 12.30-2.30 then the ones who have kids etc can get to pick the kids ip its not too early and not too late????
samantha - louise
and my two little wiggles!
xxx

fuddle off... no,... YOU fuddle off!!
samantha louise
UKFM Regular

Postby gillshutt » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:22 am

It also depends on what sort of group you are going to have. If it's just a pop in and meet others type thing then daytime is probably better but if you are going to have guest speakers etc then evening might be better. Although my friend goes to a carers group and they manage to get speakers in the daytime but they don't get medical people... it's more CAB, welfare people and things like that.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby jeannie45 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:10 pm

early evening if i was going :)

jeanx
just because i have fms ,its still me inside
jeannie45
UKFM Member

Postby unigirl1981 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:18 pm

Thank you all so much for your opinions.
i feel the answer is along the lines of "how long is a piece of string!!!!!" :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Thank you , you have given me lots to think about. the group i went to was on a saturday 1-3pm but i sleep at that time normally so i will have to have a few groups and canvass opionion from people there once it has got going properly!!!

Thank you , you are stars :hugs:
Just because you have to park in a blue bay doesn't make you any less of a person!

I am the Chair of Doncaster and District Fibromyalgia Support Group; working with FMAUK and loving it.
unigirl1981
UKFM Member

Postby jeannie45 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:40 pm

good for you .hope it comes off for you :wave: :)

jeanx
just because i have fms ,its still me inside
jeannie45
UKFM Member

Return to General Topics