[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - swine flu

swine flu

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

swine flu

Postby shazq » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:19 pm

Just heard on the news that a woman has died from swine flu. :yikes:
They did say she had other problems.
They are denying that the strength is getting stronger.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Re: swine flu

Postby princess » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:37 pm

I saw a bit that she had been pregnant, but had other complications.
Havent heard of it up here yet - its in Central Belt but not so far north.
We have had MRSA, SARS, Foot and mouth and now Swine flu - makes you wonder what is next?
I also wonder (and im not being paranoid here) - if the government try out some of their brues on the public just to see what happens.
They say they had enough anti-virus for all of UK, then 1/2, now its 1/3 but only if you have the illness do you get the vacination.
HOnestly i think dont panic unless its near to you.
princess

Orange News

A new mother has become the first person to die from swine flu in the UK as a further 59 cases have been diagnosed.

Jacqueline Fleming, 38, who had other underlying health problems, gave birth three months early at Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley, Renfrewshire, two weeks ago.

It is understood the child, who was born at 29 weeks, does not have swine flu.

Ms Fleming's family said in a statement: 'Our whole family is absolutely devastated and we are doing everything we can to support Jacqueline's two sons and her partner.

Sir Liam Donaldson, chief medical officer for England and Wales, told ITV Lunchtime News: 'If we look at the pattern of this illness worldwide, generally for most people it hasn't been a severe illness.

'They've recovered very well without complications. A small minority have got serious illness and an even smaller minority have died.

'So, we do have to remain vigilant but remembering that this is a disease that on the

Scottish Health Secretary Nicola Sturgeon said: 'I'd like to express my condolences to the patient's family and friends. This is a tragedy for those concerned and they have my heartfelt sympathy.'

Ms Sturgeon added: 'Tragic though today's death is, I would like to emphasise that the vast majority of those who have H1N1 are suffering from relatively mild symptoms.

'I would reiterate that the risk to the general public remains low and we can all play our part in slowing the spread of the virus by following simple hygiene procedures - like washing your hands and using tissues when coughing or sneezing.'

A leading expert said the death was 'to be expected' and 'does not point to the virus getting nastier'.

Professor Hugh Pennington, a bacteriologist at Aberdeen University, said underlying health problems were likely to have been a 'significant factor'.

He said: 'It's very sad but with the number of cases we have seen it is really something which was always going to happen sooner or later. Unfortunately it is to be expected.'

It is the first death to be reported outside the Americas, where at least 145 people have died from swine flu.

The UK swine flu total now stands at 1,320 cases.
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby gillshutt » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:22 pm

One in over a thousand isn't that bad... better than ordinary flu. When I was at school a boy died of flu, he was about 16 and a fit healthy lad. There's no telling how things will affect people.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby princess » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:46 pm

They said tonight on Scottish News - that the baby has died, two weeks after being born premature - they say not related to the Mum dying of Swine Flu!!!! (Well they would eh)
You just feel for the family a daughter and a grandchild in two weeks, gone!
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:38 pm

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby princess » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:50 pm

Always others worse than ourselves eh
In our matty last week, a lady lost triplets - my daughter was so upset, three babies all lost and not an early pregnancy.
So as i said always worse than us, no matter how ill we feel we are here and have friends about and in thr forum eh
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:39 pm

My OH just told me that someone has swine flu not far from us... :yikes:
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby loubie » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:06 pm

hi all :wave:
i live in the mids an we have the most cases of it :shock:
so the news said today :yikes:
loubie x
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby princess » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:54 pm

not much up here as yet - its too bloody cold for viruses lol
princess
UKFM Regular

Return to General Topics