new to site

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

new to site

Postby keb » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:35 pm

I have only just found this site and have now spent a couple of hours browsing around. I was diagnosed with fibro about four years ago, after having years of generalised pain. Had to leave nursing because of chronic back pain, didn't work for 10 years but then retrained in business studies and computers, so am lucky at the moment to be employed full time as a Accident and Emergency receptionist, which is a great job. It keeps me in touch with people
The problem is at the moment I am three weeks post op (hysterectomy) and am feeling really isolated. Not seeing anybody, husband at work all day, and left with the three dogs. Because of inactivity of being post op, I am in a lot of pain in my shoulders and neck, and not sleeping well. Have never found a pain killer that really helps, and I really don't think that my gp is much help. All they want to do is put me on antidepressants, which I have had side affects from. In my job I have to be on the ball, and ready for anything that walks through the door, so cannot take anything that makes me sleepy in the mornings.
Sorry about the moan, but it is just nice to know that there is other people out there who suffer with the same thing.
Karen
keb
UKFM Newbie

Postby IanR » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:33 pm

Welcome to the site Keb

you will find some good friends here i'm sure

never apolagise about moaning we all under stand whats going on and we here to at the very least to be a place were you can moan without feeling bad afterwards :wink:

we all a friendly bunch around here well all the ones i've met are :wink:

Take care

Ian
IanR
UKFM Member

hey there

Postby gemmielou » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:30 pm

hello keb
I am gemma I am 24 and I used to work on a very busy surgical ward, then in july I started with back pain and leg ache and fatigue, the gps said I had injured my back but when it didnt heal they sent me for lots of tests. A neurologist diagnosed me in december.
Sorry to hear things are rough for you at the moment have you got a tens machine they can be good for post op pain and heat packs, you put in the microwave can be soothing too. Remember you have been through alot not only does surgery effect you physically but it has a huge emotional impact. Alao you have long term health condition that and the fact its yuk winter just makes it worse.
You need to listen to nice music, treat yourself and have lots of dog cuddles, in LA where my cousin lives the lady next to her takes her dogs to the hospital for the patients to stroke and cuddle apparentley aids recovery and gives a sense of wellbeing.
Dont be sorry we know how you feel here anytime take care love and hugs gem ilovehullkr@hotmail.com
gemmielou
UKFM Member

Postby keb » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:58 am

Thanks for the welcome folks, it is really appreciated. I do have a tens machine, and have used it regularly, (could do with a few more pads to attach to all the various parts that hurt!!!!). Feeling really tired today, so I think all I am going to do is flake out in front of the tv, and watch a load of rubbish. Then with any luck I can drop off to sleep.
Karen
keb
UKFM Newbie

Postby julie » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:51 pm

hi keb...i know what you are going through as i needed same operation 18 months ago. not sure why you needed it but i assure you it was the best thing i ever did. just be careful not to overdo it once you are feeling a bit better,as it is easy to think you are ok and then suffer later when you have tried to do some housework etc. hope you have got lots of help and take evryone up on their offers of help. keep smiling and hope you on road to recovery.
julie
UKFM Member

Postby Joo » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:07 pm

:D Hi Keb, sorry to hear about your probs with work etc. I have a pack of Amitryptilline but I don't use them much but when I do I only take a half a tablet to alleviate pain. I don't feel drowsy in the morning then. No doctor thinks that that dose can work but I can assure you it works for me, maybe cos I try to avoid taking drugs? Thought it might help, Joo x (envy you having dogs!!)
Smile - you might as well and it makes better looking wrinkles!!!
Joo
UKFM Member

Return to General Topics