Did anyone see Panorama?merged topics

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Did anyone see Panorama?

Postby cariad » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:42 am

Dint see the programme but am incesed at the remarks made about fibro. Have just sent a comlaint to BBC :cry:
cariad
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:10 pm

Panorama have apologised and are re-editing the programme so that it doesn't incorrectly say that Fibro is psychological!

http://www.fibroaction.org/News/Panoram ... error.aspx

I'm exhausted...I was up till 11.30pm last night and 1.30am the night before dealing with this.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby dollydaydream » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:29 pm

I am sorry but it seems to me to be a back handed apology. The Judicial Studies Board Guidelines is a document issued by lawyers, for lawyers. I fail to see how or why its medical opinions carry any weight. Yes, by all means, use the document to look up the compensation payouts, but not the SYNDROME. Look it up in the NHS websites or speak to a consultant rheumatologist.

If you had a faulty injector on a car would you look it up in a Parkers blue book? No - You'd use a Haynes manual or speak to a mechanic.

Sloppy research is sloppy research, no matter how it is dressed.
Sending you love and light

Sarah xxx
dollydaydream
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:37 pm

Reposted from my response on the FMA UK forums....

I think they wanted to explain where they got the wrong info from! They have acknowledged that they messed up on researching Fibro for this programme - the editor has been very apologetic and helpful.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby dollydaydream » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:54 pm

Hi Linz! They wouldn't let me be dolly there so I had to be Lizzydripping instead! I won't copy paste this time. Many thanks for your kindness and patience in helping me to see this from a different angle. I can get tunnel vision. Your patience is most appreciated. :hugs:

Sarah xxx
dollydaydream
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:53 pm

No probs Sarah! I understand where you are coming from, but I've had the opportunity to get the personal angle so that helps. :)
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby unigirl1981 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:48 pm

Hi

I have just read the pology and i agree with Dollydaydream, it seems very "backhanded" and listing the places where fibro is seen as "controversial" and a psychiatric disorder does not help people much. It seems to be like when a child is told to say sorry and shouts it at 100 decibels just so it has said it but with no meaning.

I understand that the editor has been very apologetic Linz and i appreciate that but the printed, released apology is weak and does not do much to re-inforce that fibro is not a psychological illness. It just says the research was "inaccurate" not wrong.

Oh well, its better than nothing i suppose. Fibromites are used to getting nothing back and struggling along.

At least the editor is sorry and understands the pain it has caused. I just hope noone with fibro suffered too much and that doctors who doubted fibro and see patients with fibro dont get thier wrong idea about the illness re-inforced by the programme.
Just because you have to park in a blue bay doesn't make you any less of a person!

I am the Chair of Doncaster and District Fibromyalgia Support Group; working with FMAUK and loving it.
unigirl1981
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:01 am

If anyone still wants to complain, feel free. FibroAction aren't going to as we feel that Panorama have done a lot to address the issue (the re-edit we didn't even bother hoping for!), but although I understand where they've come from, the fact remains that they started from a very bad position regarding Fibro. Plus I'm sure the show will still upset some people, and if it does, you should of course complain.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby dollydaydream » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:50 pm

I commented on another forum, but it@s a pity the Panorama makers didn't use the BBC's information

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/ ... gia1.shtml

Ho hum

Sarah

Sarah xxx
dollydaydream
UKFM Member

Postby luuluu » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:49 pm

This was on the TV when I was in the bedroom, I wasn't watching it but then heard the word 'fibromyalgia' so watched the rest of the programme. I was upset as they portrayed fibro as psychological and not real thinking how so many people I know (family included) think this way anyway and I have struggled for so long to change their minds. People look at us and we look 'normal' but I'd defy them to live like us for just one day !!

Needing a hug at the moment, feeling pretty down and useless here.

Take Care

luuluu :hugs:
what other people think of me is really none of my business
luuluu
UKFM Member

Panarama Trauma Injury Claims Fraud

Postby Mr.A » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:03 pm

Did anyone see this documentary? If you missed it, you can catch it here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... _Industry/

The presenter briefly mentions Fibromyalgia being fabricated by personal injury claimers although Fibro isn't the main focus of the programme.

Personally I don't attribute fibromyalgia to any injury or psychological trauma, although I agree that those things can trigger it, I think they just speed up the process and you would have got or did have fibromyalgia anyway.

It anoyed me because it didn't go into detail and so anyone not in the know would be led into thinking fibromyalgia is a claims scam.

Any thoughts or feedback is welcome.
Mr.A
UKFM Member

Re: Panarama Trauma Injury Claims Fraud

Postby worf » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:57 pm

I did look at it on i player and did think it was abit off, they did having said that post an appoligy on their web site but think they should maybe look in to it a bit more and then appoligise properly. I can pinpoint when mine started and it was an injury of my own fault :crazy: so can sue no one, at the moment i am still in fulltime employment but might have to review that sometime in the future.
Jim
How many doctors does it take to get a diagnosis? 11!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Learn when to stop, What ever it is will keep for another day!
worf
UKFM Member

Re: Did anyone see Panorama?merged topics

Postby lisaharris » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:33 am

LinzWorld wrote:Did anyone see Panorama? It was mainly on PTSD and the compensation culture but they included Fibro in a list of psychological conditions. I've had some emails from people who complained but I'm trying to gauge how many people saw it and how many people have or will be complaining about it.

i was diagnosed with fibro yesterday after years and years of people telling me there is nothing wrong with me its all in my head!!!!and if panorama are trying to say that fibro is all in your head then i will certainly be telling them how wrong they are i feel pain daily its horrible and after yrs of not knowing what it was i was starting to think it was all in my head but now i know its not, the pain is very real and so is the tiredness not only do i suffer but my children and husband too i didnt see panorama but if you know of who and where i complain to i certainly will im fed up with people trying to tell me the pain i feel is my head!!!!!!!!
lisaharris
UKFM Newbie

Previous

Return to General Topics