[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - On the telly today...

On the telly today...

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

On the telly today...

Postby natjoshlib » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:20 pm

Hi
i was just wondering if anyone else had watched the saint and scroungers on the telly today (thur 27th Aug) on bbc.

There was a guy on there that was claiming DLA for fibromyalgia and me and If i could manage a day doing the things he was doing over the months they videoed him i would be glad.

Unfortunately is gives us fellow sufferers bad light.

Take care and if you didn't see it i know it's on BBi player and it's the major on at the begining but he only mentions Fibro and ME in an interveiw at the end stating the with the FMS and ME he had good and bad days.

You watch him running down the road, standing for hours on end etc it makes me so cross that he was allowed to claim without any medicals or tribunals etc

Sorry rant over take care and gentle hugs to all xx
natjoshlib
UKFM Member

Re: On the telly today...

Postby lynne » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:11 am

yes I saw this programme and I too was upset by what was said at the end.FM/ME comes in all shapes and sizes and varies from person to person on a day to day basis.I wish I had the energy I used to have but thank god I am where I am today having had good sound advice and support from my GP and of course this forum where fellow sufferers know exactly what goes on in our daily lives.

Take care

Lynne x
lynne
UKFM Member

Postby anne1206 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:55 am

I watch this programme in the morning if I can get my eyes open in time :roll: absolutely unbeleivable what some people do, but even the shows presenter says its the ones who are fiddling the system that make it more difficult , for the genuine claimants. Some of the ones I have seen are just bare faced cheek, the guy this morning was claiming DLA for eighteen years, but still working as a steward at the football and running 10k races for charity. He got 12 months in jail for his greed.
Like the posters before me, I am sick of people belittling our condition, when we would love to have the energy some of the fraudsters do.

Take care all, Anne :hugs: :grouphug:
durate et vosmet rebus servate secundis///>Carry on and preserve yourselves for better times
anne1206
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Yes i watch it, unfortunately there are the scroungers and that is what makes it hard for those of us who are genuine.
But believe me i have seen the DLA set a camera up in a house, (asked owners permission to tape this girl for l week) -they set it up in a bedroom just across the road from me to watch a girl in my street, she was claiming everything as housebound.
Actually she was running a animal rescue and we used to see her carrying boxes etc., and smoking and running up our hill.
Anway her friend and her fell out, so the friend phoned the DLA and said she was conning them - honestly what they found out was scary.
She was actually having an affair with her neighbour, putting her wee boy to bed and going to htis guys house for s.. - and washing, carrying messages, boxes, and running about - she lost all the benefits, even her car.
She has a huge amoutnt o pay back - all benefits were stopped.
And her hubby left her and took the wee boy. He was a policeman and nearly lost his job.
anyway she moved in with another man down the estate and is now with another boy in our area, she works in two rescues and does other jobs, so nothing wrong with her.
She conned them by keeping asking to see the neurologist and rhum Dr - for second and third appointments and going to Dr and complaining.
Our Dr was put over the coals for her being treated as having ms - when infact she was really well and healthy.
That shocked me and now i know what these people can do to catch people.
I alwasy check with my Dr if i am going to do something, just to keep myself right.
Always keep yourself right andthen you dont have to worry.
(The story is true but obviously i wont name her).
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby Donna Day » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:09 pm

These poeple make me so angry :evil: I have been suffering for a long time now! tried to hold a job down and bring up 3 kids on my own, I had to stop work this year as things have got impossible, It took 6weeks to get any payment from Esa and was told i was tring to cheat the system!! Also i have been refused DLA and have to Appeal, seek legal help to do this! and all along people who are fit and well seem to be able to claim anything they want! Just put in for a community care grant! so i can gat a mobility scooter! Bet i get refused again!!!! :evil:
Donna

I JUST WANT TO BE ME AGAIN
Donna Day
UKFM Member

Postby velvet » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:04 pm

i didnt see this programme but watched benefit busters on channel 4 or 5 last night (thursday night that is) and apparently next week is covering those on sickness benefits. i tell you i will be watching that one very closely. so for anyone else that is thursday 3rd sept at 9pm on either 4 or 5 (cant remember which lol)
NEW
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby jackierice » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:17 am

i saw the program and thought it put our illness into bad light once again. its about time someone was filmed in real need of help.
jackierice
UKFM Newbie

Postby velvet » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:35 am

real people doing their best and struggling doesnt make good tv unless they have some sort of unusual physical problem they makes them "interesting" to look at.
NEW
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby natjoshlib » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:21 pm

How very true.

I'd happily make a home video if i thought it would help people understand better. Most of the footage I've seen are people that have recovered completly by some miracle cure that will cost you money to try, or people who are using it for fraudulant reasons.

I have just been to morrisons in my scooter and I am now paying for it so going for a lie down before my boys come back from Granny's.

Does anyone else find that when they are given an oppurtunity to rest they always find something that needs doing and that rest time reduces away to nearly nothing. I must learn to rest more!!!!
natjoshlib
UKFM Member

Postby miajane » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:47 pm

I couldn't agree with you more,
My youngest has gone to stay with her sister for the weekend and bank holiday so I can rest but the house as always is in a mess and instead of taking it easy I'm trying to catch up whilst she's away.
What used to take a few minutes now takes over an hour, by the time I've actually done anything it will need doing again.
They can film me trying to tidy the house but it would take several months :lol:
I'm in the process of trying to vacuum the stairs, after one step my hands are painful, my arms are shaking and I can't hold the hose so I have to have a break, then do the next one. My son offered to do it for me but I just growled at him that I can manage, it will just take a while. :lol:
I do hate this fibro sometimes, I haven't had a really good day for months. :(
Take care
Mia xx
'Needles on your nerve ends crawl like spiders on the skin' - Enemy within by Rush
miajane
UKFM Member

Postby velvet » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:34 pm

the thing is if we did video ourselves what would it show - an apparently normal person taking ages to do something simple whilst growling they dont need help then that apparently normal person sitting or lying down for hours doing nothing except taking pain killers - video like that isnt going to convince anyone unfortunetly they would just see it as being put on or us making a fuss about nothing.
NEW
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby miajane » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:38 pm

Well said Velvet, after all those closest to us sometimes wonder why we are unable to do things when we look perfectly healthy.
It's a shame the pain isn't visible somehow, even if the painful areas were swollen, bruised or looked sore people might believe us more. :dunno:
Though they would be so horrified they'd probably run a mile as at the moment I feel like I've been run over by a truck, and if I was walking around looking like I was run over by a truck, they'd be marvelling at my ability to cope with the pain. :yikes:
Cos they can't see it people assume it's not there. :nono:
As I tell my kids don't judge a book by it's cover!
Sorry rant over :D
Take care
Mia xx
'Needles on your nerve ends crawl like spiders on the skin' - Enemy within by Rush
miajane
UKFM Member

Postby velvet » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:27 pm

no worries mia - the only reason i am not getting "why cant you do it" at the moment is the very conspicuos cast on my leg that everyone knows i am not allowed to stand on. the fact that i actually feel fine and would be willing and able to get up and do stuff is irrelevant. i cannnot count the times i have felt a hundred times worse than this and have done the stuff everyone is complaining about having to do now :roll:
NEW
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby ellen b » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:39 pm

Hi I watched the episode on bbciplayer last night, it made me so annoyed that I had trouble sleeping :evil:
I think that it is people like that who give genuine people a bad name. That why the DWP is so lax on giving people the help they deserve. At the end of the day there is only so much in the pot and if individuals like that claim then is less for the rest of us.
He was so like a politician at the end said he claimed money because he deserved it, if your condition improves or deteriorates your supposed to let DWP know. I'm glad he got caught!
Rant over I will get off my soapbox ( with assistance).
:D
The mind is mostly willing, the body has other ideas XXX
ellen b
UKFM Member

Postby anne1206 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:13 pm

durate et vosmet rebus servate secundis///>Carry on and preserve yourselves for better times
anne1206
UKFM Member

Next

Return to General Topics