[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Rememberance Day

Rememberance Day

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Rememberance Day

Postby Harley » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:25 am

I'm sorry if this is a little down beat but I just like to show my respect, and know many others do too for those who gave so much for us........and those who are still fighting.

They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them...
Harley
UKFM Member

Re: Rememberance Day

Postby shazq » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:06 am

Yes its a sad day for many.
My partner is a ex service man, i know today will be hard for him. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby princess » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:29 pm

At llam today we stood in the rain in Montrose Main Street, to hear lots of people still walking about talking - i was so annoyed.
This is the time to show your respect to those who have laid down there lives so we can be free!!
I lost my Mum 26 years ago yesterday, gone but not forgotten Mum.
I lost my sister a long long time ago this month.
I lost my Dad 12 years ago this month.
November is indeed a month to remember in our house.
Princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby Harley » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:42 pm

It really get's my goat too princess when people just can't give 2 minuits once a year to show a little respect.

I'm constantly amazed and proud when I see the respect the residents of Wootton Basset show for fallen servicemen,I know they'd sooner not have to do it but it's an example to us all I think.

They give up their time without question.
Harley
UKFM Member

Postby Deegill » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:15 pm

our war memorial is on a main road, signs of 20mph were put up, did anyone slow down on our side of the road? no :evil: i was so upset, one guy even stood in the road trying to slow a lorry down, we could barely here what was being said, never even heard the names being read out.

My 9 year old had asthma clinic, then was due to go to school, but i didnt want to go to the pet shop on my own - tend to have panic attacks, on way back, there was a crowd gathering around the memorial, so i asked her if she wanted to go - she also went on Sunday with the brownies, and she did, which pleased me, as i wanted to go to show my respect.

I was tearful, it was a goosepimply when they were laying the wreaths and crosses.

I wish there was no wars, so no one died. :cry:
A smile a day keeps the doctor away!

Denise xx
Deegill
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:55 pm

Time we were out of Iraq and Afgan.....................the russians couldnt do it, Bush wanted to finish off what his father started, and they are not doing it, and we are not doing it - all these young men dying it breaks my heart. (personal opinion here not wanting to upset anyone on this forum).
But and i say But, i understand the US if we had WTC- 9.ll we would want to go to war too - so its a double edged sword.
Noone wins wars..........................noone.
Both my grandfathers joined up for WWl as boy soldiers, both 15 years of age - my Dad and my uncle were in WW2 - my Uncle who has just died was in France, Holland and Germany and he was a guard at the Neurenberg Trials, proud brave men all of them.
God help us from any more wars, lets hope there is never a WW3.
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby Harley » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:12 pm

My nephew signed up a couple of years ago, it was the army or the dole.
We were worried sick when he was in Iraq and now he's waiting to hear when he has to do a tour in Afganistan,we all fear for his safety but he enjoys being a soldier and say's he'd have hated to get old and then regret not ever joining up.

He knows the risks and accepts them as part and parcel of being a soldier but it doesn't make the family worry any less.He's in the Rifles and every soldier that is lost these days seems to be a member of the rifles.

I know not many people agree with why we are at war, I certainly don't but it's good to see the support the serving Army,RAF and Navy people also got on sunday and today.
Harley
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:36 pm

I may not agree why we went in, but i admire and respect all of those who are serving, we have very close friends in the army and family in navy.
It just breaks my heart to see those young men who are no amputees after serving their country - war is war and there will alwyas be wars and the injured.
Just such a shame we cant all live at peace!!!!!
Whether we be black, white, purple, green or of what ever faith - we need to learn from all of this and live together.
But i guess that will never happen as there are always those who want a war.
I have friends who worked WTC and they even have different views, some wanted the war, so were very against it.
princess
Princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Return to General Topics