[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - freeview

freeview

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

freeview

Postby smiler22 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:37 am

hi just wondering if any of you are freeview boffs. and can help me. basically i have got a freeview machine that id induilt with the recordable dvd. it went through the switch over ok an dwas retuned etc. i got all channels. some sometimes dont pick up signal but 99% of the time i hav eall of them. however this morning i put m,y tv on to find it said i hav eno channels and that i needed to retune my machine. which i did an automatic search. however it has only picked up about a third of channels. i have usual 12345 and then itv2 channel 4 +1. but no radio stations, fiver, five usa, cbbeebies, news sky 3 or sky news, virgin, the music channels or none o fthe ideal world shopping channels.

i have tried three times during the day to try to do it again. but the last time i tried which was half an hour ago i ended up with even less again. i have tried to unplug and replug the wires and aerial etc. but to no avail. and all the bits on line say that there are no probs ion this area. i have a booster on our outside aerial too so that should be ok as it was all done ready for the retuning on 30th september.
i would be greatful if anyone can give me any advice. :banghead:
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Re: freeview

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:50 am

Could it be a problem with the transmitter for your area or because of the rubbish weather we're having at the moment or maybe something has caused your aerial to move? We've got freeview, built into both TVs and a freeview recorder and our signal is rubbish at the moment, esp when its been snowing, raining heavily etc. We've also got a freesat recorder and the signal on that has been cruddy at times as well, when the weather has been bad.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:56 am

I have all my channels but mine keeps freezing for a second, like flup said i think it could be down to the weather.
Is there a help phone line you could call?
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby princess » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:29 pm

Freeview is the only thing we can have down here - but the last few days it has shut down because of the weather - i would do an update on all your channels and get in touch with freeview ands ee what they say.
You can e-mail them.
princesss
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby smiler22 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:14 pm

thanxs for that. today i have retuned again just on the off chance and i have managed to get aload back. its just film four and about three more i cant get. so thanx anyway. i did get in touch with freeview by email but i have nt heard anything back from them.
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby ladymanvers » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:53 pm

Hi Smiler,
Would've replied earlier but been on boards intermittently due to a bad case of swine flu from which I'm still recovering!
My OH is a TV engineer and sees this problem frequently. I'm handing over to him for the next part of this reply - Ju.x :

The chances are that the signal your Tv is receiving is only just strong enough to give reliable reception. You mentioned that you had an aerial booster connected as well, this usually indicates that the signal coming from the aerial itself is insufficient and further amplification is needed before it is fed to the Tv.

If you have not had your aerial checked/replaced in the last 5 years or so, you will probably not have a 'wide band' aerial that is required for reliable freeview. Unfortunately, this means you will have to pay for an aerial upgrade to get all of the services. Be careful who you choose as there are a lot of 'cowboy' contractors about with little or no knowledge of how to get good reception in difficult signal areas.

However if you are not able to pay, but are prepared to wait, next year when many of the analogue transmitters are turned off, the freeview signal will be boosted. Consequently many people who had marginal signals will find that they have perfect reception.

Hope this is of use.

Sam.
ladymanvers
UKFM Member

Postby smiler22 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:00 am

hi sam yes i have finally got it too work. i just waited a day then retuned it again . all i have missing now is film 4 and one or two other. like music channel and ideal world . however i hav ell the others.

what happened was my parents have the sky downstairs and so the aerial man did it so i hav ethe main aerial upstairs. the aerial is new and also has a booster and the other thing you said so by rights it should be ok. it has the signal for most stations now. aprt from the odd one. however we have alot of foriegners around us who have dishs for their countrys programmes, and we have been told this may sometimes interfere, . so thanks anyway for you r help.
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Return to General Topics