I'm really scared! But got to do it

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

I'm really scared! But got to do it

Postby hamstergirl » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:37 pm

Got to go to Nottingham Hospital in half hour which is 50 mins away.

I only drive locally and to clumber park 20mins away.

But this is 30 min on Motorway and I'm scared, not driven on motorway for years. I've been worrying all day, couldn't eat anything feel so sick.

My sister had her baby boy on Tuesday 6 weeks early so want to go and see him.

I'm very close to backing out but will be cross with myself.

Better get ready, will have to get off at next junction if I feel too scared to carry on

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Re: I'm really scared! But got to do it

Postby Littles » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:36 pm

Hey

Hope your drive went well. Did you manage to do 30 mins on the motorway?

How's the baby doing?
Littles
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Hi Lorraine

Hope it all went well congratulations on the baby bet he's gorgeous :flowers: :flowers: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:16 pm

Hope you've gone on OK Lorraine, bet seeing your ickle nephew more than made up for it :hugs: :blowkiss:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby budda » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:24 pm

Hope everthing went ok for you Lorraine on motorway, and congratulations on the baby boy :woot: :woot: and these are for you :flowers:
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby Mike1979 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:56 am

I hope all went well and I'm sure that once you got on the motorway it wasn't as bad as you remember :wink:
Mike1979
UKFM Member

Postby hamstergirl » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:09 pm

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

I did it! I nearly backed out at the last minute and turned around but i didnt, i went on that motorway and after about 5 mins i started to relax a little. I did a backup route from each junction just incase i panicked and needed to get off. When i arrived my legs were like jelly but i was so relieved and was trying not to think about getting home.

My sister texted me while i was driving to say Sullivan (The baby) was jaundice so was under uv light so i wasnt able to hold him. I was a little disappointed but couldnt be helped. My husband took me Wednesday but only had half hour and i couldnt hold him then because he was on a ventilator. He's improving by the day.

My sister was really shocked that i came she thought i would have changed my mind having to come on my own. But what really touched me was after about an hour of arriving home she sent me a lovely text saying 'thank you for coming to see us, especially as it took a lot of guts for you to come and drive all this way on your own. It made me cry, that i'd spent all day panicking, one minute i wasnt going, next minute i was determined i was going, feeling sick about it but she really appreciated and knew how i felt.

Anyway, he's going to be in hospital for at least another week so i would like to go again, only thing is i'm already fretting about it. I dont know why because once i was on the motorway i felt a lot better than i thought i would.

My gp sent me to a counsellor for this driving but they said i didnt really need it, i've just lost my confidence and i think they are right. My sister lives in Nottingham so it will be a journey i shall be doing regular (she doesnt have a car) so hopefully i will get use to it.

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby budda » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:29 pm

:clap: well done lorraine, you did it, so proud of you, what is it they say, to face the fear is worse, but to do it, its easyer, i think thats the way you say it, it should be better the next time, the more you do it the better it will feel, well done you :woot: and you dont want to miss out on the baby.
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby hamstergirl » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:43 pm

Thanks budda

Thats why i didnt want to back out because i knew each time would get harder and harder. Sometimes i think facing your fears head on is the only way and i'm sure after i couple of more times i will be ok.

I did actually feel really proud of myself for not backing out!

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:01 pm

So pleased you managed to conquer the motorway, hope things carry on like it for you :!: :!: :!: :woot: :woot: :woot:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Mike1979 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:03 pm

Well done :clap:
I told you once you got on the Mway you wouldn't find it as bad as you thought :wink:
Mike1979
UKFM Member

Postby nutty1 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:05 pm

well done lorraine :clap: :woot: :woot: know that feeling well .you must be so chuffed with yourself
nutty1
UKFM Regular

Postby SarahP » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:01 pm

Wow, what a hurdle you got over there. And it really is.

Look what you've achieved today:

1. You CAN drive when you need to, and motorway is easier than town driving anyway!

2. You made your sister feel good, and appreciative knowing how things are for you despite the fact she has a preemie baby and the worries that go with it.

3. You didn't back out.

Those are three huge things to be proud of. You can only go on and up now and I hope you feel really positive about seeing Sullivan next time. My eldest daughter was 13 week premature twin, and I know from experience that although we can't hold them, they can hear our voices and sense our presence -- so you've helped there too.

Well done you -- piccies next time please! xx
SarahP
UKFM Member

Postby hamstergirl » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:14 am

Hi

Thanks for your kind and positive words.

I was bouncing off the walls when i got home and id done it. still i bit scared for next time but it will get easier the more i go. I do know what people mean now when they say they have agrophobia, ok it prob wasnt has bad as that but i understand more now about overcoming fears.

I'd always made excuses before why i couldnt drive somewhere and always justified it by saying i didnt want to go anyway even though i'd would have gone. But ofcourse i wanted to see my sister and baby so needed to go.

The photos i have, have got too many tubes so ill wait till he's better. Actually he's off most of his tubes now so hopefully when i go again ill be able to hold him.

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby Quackers » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:26 pm

Well done Hamstergirl :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Isn't it amazing how even at such a young age those wee darlings can get us to do things
I used to drive all the time up in Scotland but could never pluck up the courage to drive on a motorway :yikes:
I was also very fit then and on no medication :!:
So I can really appreciate what you did!

I am so pleased that the baby is coming on and I can bet your whole family are so proud of you :D
I will be looking forward to the photos
Keep us updated and once again well done
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Quackers
UKFM Member

Next

Return to General Topics