[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Am I a scrounger?

Am I a scrounger?

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Am I a scrounger?

Postby Paulus1962 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:20 pm

Well, the newspapers and the Government would have you believe that I am a scrounger, as is everyone else who has a disability and has the audacity to claim benefits. And it seems I am going to make matters worse in their eyes as my good lady is pregnant with our fourth bub. We thought we had better get in quick before the Government bought in compulsory sterilisation for the disabled! Oh, what a cynical little soul I am.
You can find my blog at
Paulus1962
UKFM Member

Re: Am I a scrounger?

Postby denys » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:26 pm

Well Paulus if you are then so am I :( I had 4 children but they have all grown up before this government had a chance to interfere with my child benefit and I worked from home till I could go out to work, now unfortuantly I'm housebond and expect to be put in the lazy group :yikes: :yikes: :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Paulus1962 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:08 pm

Denys, it is all the people, including former friends, who pass judgement without having any facts that really p**s me off. They blindly believe what they read in the newspapers about us all being scroungers, they do not see me walking without assistance, they do not see me breathing without assistance, they do not see what I am like if I forget to take my medications, they just see me sitting in a car and assume I am a lazy layabout who cannot be bothered to work.

They get jealous because we have been given a brand new purpose built house because of my disabilities and forget that we lived in a house with no hot water or heating, dampness, mould, leaks etc for years because no one would do anything to help us with a landlord who had no interest in spending money. And when we did get out and managed to get legal aid to take the landlord to court, we only managed to get three letters written by a solicitor before the legal aid was taken away again. Yet again, those with the money got to keep it at the expense of those of us who don't have it. And when we get our mobility car, well, no-one will think we deserve it or need it, we will just be milking the system even more as far as they are concerned.

Sorry, rant over!
You can find my blog at
Paulus1962
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:47 pm

I know what you mean, some people cant see past the green mist that appears to descend if someones getting something their not :shock: If they had to deal with daily pain and discomfort maybe they wouldn't be so quick to judge :hugs: never mind enjoy your car in the knowledge that you pay for it every day :hugs: :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby loubie » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:09 pm

NO YOU ARE NOT!!!

as denys says they DON'T have to live with pain 24/7
just let them all think what they like, cos they will anyway!

i am not on DLA or any other benefit
and to be honest i find the hole thing very scary
as at the minute, they are making people feel just like you are
and its so wrong!

i no there are some scum out there that should be caught
and have the book thrown at them as its there fault that
all this is happening :x

well that's my rant over :lol:
and congratulations on the new little one :blowkiss:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby Elsbeth » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:31 am

I get annoyed with this too.

I was signed off from working just under 3 years ago now on the say so of my Rheumi when I fell pregnant. I claimed Incapcity Benefit as told to do and he is still refusing to sign me off, he reckons it is never going to happen as more and more keeps coming to a head health wise.

I have had to fight some nasty comments from people, with one gentelman on another forum basically saying I am using my children to get better housing.. erm, nope just going by social services and government law when in Council housing. If claiming the correct credits makes me a scrounger so be it, I didn't make the decision to give people that money and other who are not disabled can have them so why should I be so different?? I will tell you why because i am not working anymore.

If I had just the MS I may well have looked into going back to work but it;s not, it is all the other crap involved that stops me, and some of you I imagine. If I got a job and had to keep ringing in sick due to not being able to stay awake, or deal with the pain, I would also be in the wrong as I would be stringing them along when someone in full health could assure them they could be in every day.

It seems that when disabled you are damned if you do, and damned if you don't and it is that attitude from people that know nothing about any of it that annoys me the most.
Elsbeth
UKFM Member

Postby Paulus1962 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:13 am

I worked for thirty odd years and paid into the system, sometimes more than some people were earning as a wage as I was paid so well. I didn't complain when the Government took the money (not too much, anyway!) and put it away for the rainy day situation. It is not my fault the rainy day turned into a tropical thunderstorm.
You can find my blog at
Paulus1962
UKFM Member

Postby solsticedreamer » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:48 am

if you then i am too :wave:

i worked for social services for many years and when i was first diagnosed with m.e and i couldnt even get off the sofa to get dressed i lost my job.

i have never been well enough to work since and to be honest who would employ someone who would not be able to complete a full days work. now i have fibro as well forget it :(

so yes i do claim dla and ib (i have no children) and i am lucky enough not to pay rent~i used to live a three hour drive from my mum and so only had my partner for support and was lucky enough to get a little bungalow five minutes from her~no stairs :woot: but i still cannot physically walk round to see her :(

and yes i do feel guilty about claiming because all these cruddy news/newspaper reports make it sound like all people on benefits are lazy scroungers, there are them out there~but we are not :x

there does not seem to be a balance in the reporting and nothing is ever really said about those of us out here with chronic conditions :(
m.e~fibro~diabetes~high cholesterol...still smiling!
http://solsticedreamer-woolblankets.blogspot.com/
solsticedreamer
UKFM Member

Postby tireesix » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:56 am

I opted for being sterilised, I react to a lot of contraception and can't have others due to a heart murmur apparently. I have 3 kids, 2 of them are oooops babies, I can't afford to get pregnant again, physically or financially. Not that I get much *ahem* these days anyway due to both DH and I suffering from chronic pain.

I wish people would understand how the process works for DLA, they weasle about and use everything against you to try and avoid paying you DLA, pain is caused by depression apparently, you can't be that ill if you have 3 kids, your house needs decorating so you are only applying so you can get enough money to afford to decorate, if you are that ill you must be neglecting/abusing your kids, pain problems are caused by previous rapes/assaults and the emotional impact of such assaults, you struggle through because you have no help etc but because you manage to do it you can't be that bad (even though the nly reason you struggle through is because otherwise you and the kids will starve and/or the kids won't get to school and the girls have already had enough time off school this term due to a mixture of them being ill and me not being able to get them in). The whole thing stinks.

I should have never asked for DLA again, we can manage ok financially without DLA, it just means that we don't get any help with housework, can't go anywhere as we can't afford to travel (no car, have to bus or taxi, I can't afford to taxi the girls to school so I have no choice but to walk), I have to go without joint supports and braces (I get lower rate care at the moment and I still can't afford braces etc) and so it goes on.

I am tired and fed up. DH is elligible for DLA but he refuses to claim because of what they (the DLA Docs etc) do and don't do and how they essentially, abuse you.

As if the disabled and sick don't feel bad enough, we have to put up with the processes of claiming which make me feel dirty (don't know about anybody else) and then we have to put up with idiotic, judgemental folks who talk about things that they have no understanding of.
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Postby Laurajojo » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:25 am

I worry that these new rules will punish the genuine cases. I manage to work part time by my sister has been on disability for a few years and is worried about what is going to happen.
xx Laura
Laurajojo
UKFM Member

Postby debbs » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:49 pm

well i am not reciveing any benifit from goverment but got a medical on thursday for them to pay my contribtions to my pension
and having 4 children get accused of 'scrounging' but we dont get any help as my OH is over the tresehold

people dont realise how bad our days are but now when some one says they ache or is tried i simply say 'welcome to my world' they soon shut up x
debbs
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:26 pm

Hi
No it does not make you a scrounger.

I also worry that these new rules will punish the genuine cases.

I have always worked and would still be working if i was well enough, who would want to live like this???? Do they really think we are making this all up, we have to fight to get some help, we have to prove we are ill, is so unfair.

Congrats on the bub Paul. :hugs:
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Mossdweller » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:02 pm

I am already one of those people the Daily Mail just loves to hate! Bad enough that I am a woman but I have the audacity also to have become one of those dastardly single parents! And I have four kids - yeah, four Mr David Cameron! Recently I have been diagnosed with FM and I can't continue with my job so now I have the joy of trying to find my way through the benefits system.

I have found the main problem to be actually accessing information - I was told by my GP to call CAB but in two weeks no-one has answered the phone!

I phoned the DSS but the woman I spoke to couldn't give me clear information as to which benefits I might be entitled to and sent me a form for DLA, which I have already been refused on a previous occasion.

It's very disheartening and as my condition worsens I am becoming rather afraid.
Mossdweller
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:41 pm

I must qualify for the scroungers club as well, glad I'm going to be in such company tho :wave: I haven't been able to work for over 10 years and was retired on health grounds by my previous employer because of it. I get IB, tried for DLA on several occasions, was awarded lower rate for one bit of it (can't remember which one) then sent more forms a couple of months later saying it due for review :? only to be told I wasn't eligible for it any more. After numerous attempts to get things looked at again, I truely lost the will to live and haven't bothered since.

I've had numerous comments as well, about looking fine etc etc, plus the one that still hurts today from my mother (many apologies for repeating myself yet again :facepalm: :yikes: ) who wanted to know if I was putting things on to get some time off work. If I'm such a good actress to be able to convince so many people for so long, then surely I deserve a lifetime achievement oscar instead of all the pain and cruddiness I get.

I'm also very worried about these "reforms". Who in their right mind would employ someone like me, with no confidence, and needs to take a break after doing something for 5 minutes or less and ends up asleep at any point of the day as I'm so tired :dunno: :dunno: It's bound to be us that suffers at their hands while the dodgy ones get thru with no problem :evil: :twisted:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby budda » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:48 pm

No you are not a scrounger,as loubie said, these people dont have our pain, so Paulus you enjoy your new house and new car and dont bother what anyone says, your true friends should be happy for you and your family, and congratulations on the new baby. :blowkiss:
budda
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to General Topics