[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Zebra Finches (probably a long shot)

Zebra Finches (probably a long shot)

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Zebra Finches (probably a long shot)

Postby tireesix » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:34 pm

Our Zebra finches have suddenly decided to have babies............. Thing is, I was planning to clean out the cage, I have been really rubbish recently so haven't done it in a little while and it REALLY needs to be done, its not god awful but I don't particularly want the chicks hatching into a really nasty cage.

The real problem is that the the pair decided to nest on the floor of the cage, how am I supposed to clean it out when they are in the way????? Or should I just do what I can where I can, or, should I just leave it for a while??????

There are 4 eggs, the kids are really excited so fingers crossed we get a couple hatching!!!!!
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Re: Zebra Finches (probably a long shot)

Postby denys » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:40 pm

Hi Katie you are a bit between a rock and a hard place aren't you as you cant interefere when they hatch either can you, have you rang the vet for some advice they might know how you can do it without disturbing them too much :fingerscrossed: you get some lovely babies soon.

Nice to see you back we've missed you :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby fabme » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:14 am

Have a check to see if there's a rsbp or small bird breeder near you they might be able to help you.

Fab
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
fabme
UKFM Member

Postby cherryblossom » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:22 pm

Hi Katie, wow, zebra finches, they're lovely little fellows, we used to have two - Gizzy and Mo! Sadly no more :( . I'd try and see if you can do what you can without disturbing them too much and gauge their reaction. Does your cage have a slidey- out bottom? If they seem ok they try to go a little further, if not then leave them. :fingerscrossed: and :goodluck1: with them. :D Cherry :blowkiss:
cherryblossom
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:01 pm

Hi
Do a google search i am sure there will be some info on the net. :goodluck1: with the hatchings. :clap:
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby nutty1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:18 pm

:wave: when i had budgies and parrots we didnt disturb them .i would ask vet :fingerscrossed: all goes well
nutty1
UKFM Regular

Postby tireesix » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:30 am

Thanks all!!!!! After reading all your messages I suddenly thought of a birdy person I used to know so gonna try and find her email and ask her.

The little female has laid a couple more eggs so I think we have six now. I am going to have to find a new cage somewhere because the finches are sharing a cage with a canary and they all used to get on but the canary is starting to look some what depressed ebcause he is constantly being harassed, bless.

Thing is, we have had the pair for months and months and nothing happened so I figured that maybe they had decided that they weren't 'right' for each other, I mean, in birds its usually the female who chooses the mate and if the female isn't impressed, she won't mate with him, this is why its all a bit of a surprise really, I just figured, if something was gonna happen, it would have happened sooner.

I think I will call the pet shop we got them from as well, because that pet shop is fab, so they might have some good advice.

Fingers crossed we get some hatching!!!!!!
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:55 pm

:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :goodluck1:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby fibro-lu » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:02 pm

maybe the female wasn't impressed
and waited if someone better came along
after nothing happened
what would have been the alternative?
a carnary
:tongueout:
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby fabme » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:33 pm

I'm sorry but this is making for a very funny picture in my head of 2 finches and a depressed canary :lol: you're going to have to keep us updated on this and :fingerscrossed: I really hope you get some hatchlings :goodluck1:

On a more serious note it's probably a good idea to go back to the pet shop as they may be able to put you onto someone that could help :D

fab
fabme
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:46 pm

Couldn't help but laugh at the thought of a depressed looking canary, sorry :lol: :lol: Sounds like Daphne, one of our chooks. When you see her in the run she looks really depressed as well, then she sees you and comes bombing down the run all happy and clucky :D :D I never thought you could get depressed looking tweety bods.

Good luck with the eggs and hatchings, it sounds like you've got quite a menagerie around you. Are you still breeding hamsters??

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby cherryblossom » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:19 am

Sorry, this is just a quickie for fluppypuffy! :D I like your bit on the bottom about your dog not liking people. I have a gorgeous tri-colour collie, she really is my best friend. One day I let her out of the garden to get in the car. She went running out before I could stop her and went charging up to our neighbour's backside and bit it as he was bending over in the back of his car! :oops: His derriere was there and she obviously couldn't resist it! I told my other neighbour and they said she only did what the rest of us would have done had we been dogs! None of us like him that much, and she just wanted to show it :nono: ! So I totally agree with you, always trust my dog! Anyway, take care everyone, Cherry :blowkiss:
cherryblossom
UKFM Member

Postby nutty1 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:48 am

:fingerscrossed: :goodluck2: you sound dafter than me with animals :wink: sadly when moved into our rabbit hutch (bungalow)we had cut down .seriously hope eggs hatch .thought they was difficult breed :dunno:
nutty1
UKFM Regular

Postby tireesix » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:45 am

OK, so all was going well and then (ok, this bit is going to sound really stupid) I decided to move the cage to keep it out the way of the children............. Only, the cat decided that because the cage was out the way, he would have a better chance of pouncing without being noticed. So, he pounced on the cage and pulled it over, I managed to catch it but not before the birds had a major fright (its not a little cage either, its a really good size its just that Bobsy the cat is REALLY fat, I am amazed he can pounce). So, I tried to save the eggs but all I had was a hot water bottle and it just didn't work out, I managed to keep them going for a while..........

However, the finches have started laying again................ I wonder what is going to happen this time?????? Anyway, they haven't laid eggs on the floor, its just one in a box I put up for them but they don't seem interested in the egg at the moment but from what I have read, they won't necessarily start really sitting on them until all eggs are laid........

The canary was REALLY happy once the eggs were out the way because everything went back to normal for a couple of days, but, now the eggs have started again, he is looking miserable again. At least now he can get his food and water without being attacked constantly.
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Postby fabme » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Oh what a naughty cat :lol: I don't know how you manage to have a cat and birds :o My mum has one surviving zebra finch and wanted me to have it, but couldn't see how with the 3 cats I have. I'm sorry you lost the eggs but you've obviously got a fertile pair of birds :oops:

I really can't help but smile about your depressed canary poor thing I bet it was well pleased with the cat getting rid of the eggs. Hope things go better this time :D

fab
fabme
UKFM Member

Next

Return to General Topics