Newly diagnosed with FM

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Newly diagnosed with FM

Postby claire edwards » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:12 pm

Newly diagnosed
Hi
As someone who has recently been diagnosed with FM i am trying to come to terms with the difference it is going to make to my life, i have a partner and 2 children and im finding it hard to get the balance right between helping myself and understanding that my partner and children need to not only come to terms with it themselves but they want to help and support me in the best way possible and i feel like i am letting them down??
I have always looked after others before myself and am beginning to see that this is part of my problem, i dont find it easy to put myself first but can see that i have to if i am to have any quality of life.
Is there anyone else who has these problems, if so, help would be much appreciated.
thankyou
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia, it would be good to hear from people as a form of support and to support.
claire edwards
UKFM Member

Postby somebody_else » Tue May 08, 2007 2:21 pm

Hi Clare, welcome.. sorry it's not too active here at the moment. I think we all struggle to find the right balance, even those of us without children. It does help if your partner is supportive and can help, but I think we all feel guilty about it. CBT (ask your doctor) can help with the feelings of guilt and adapting to a new way of having to live.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. You got MSN? Can add me if you want orangegloves AT hotmail DOT com
Hashimotos, CFS, FMS, PTSD, Anxiety. Gosh, I have more letters than the doctors who diagnosed me!
somebody_else
UKFM Member

Thanks somebody_else

Postby claire edwards » Tue May 08, 2007 6:38 pm

Hiya
thanks for the email, will put your email addy into my comp so can email you.
It seems to be a very quiet site, have joined the joint hypermobility site as well and they seem quite active so at least i hear from someone with something if you know what i mean??
You said to ask my GP about something but my brain is quite haggled at present (what a surprise) so can you tell me again, do you struggle to remember things?? I have always been a good multitasker but over the last few months i cant seem to cope with doing more than one thing at a time, i try to do more than one thing but i forget im doing it and move on to something else, people think i could set the house on fire (i tend to agree)!!
Hope to hear from you again.
claire
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia, it would be good to hear from people as a form of support and to support.
claire edwards
UKFM Member

Postby Min » Thu May 10, 2007 11:22 am

Hi Claire, I think the important thing is not to feel guilty - you would be supportive if a family member were ill, so you have the right to expect support from them.

Help in the home is vital. If you can possibly afford it, a cleaner once or twice a week to do the heavy work such as vacuuming & ironing would mean much less stress on everyone.

Whether you can afford a cleaner or not, it's now vital that every member of the family starts to pull their weight around the home. Even quite young children can take it in turns to wash up, empty the dishwasher, use a carpet sweeper, dust etc. Older children can be responsible for their own laundry. There is no need to feel guilty about this even if they protest - it is preparing them for adult life.

I found a steam ironing press very good when the children were at home. A rechargeable carpet sweeper is good at getting up most of the muck instead of getting the vacuum out. One of those mops with disposable pads & an attached spray detergent bottle is helpful.

Have you been offered hydrotherapy? I had it years ago & it was wonderful for pain relief & flexibility.

best wishes to you
Min
UKFM Member

It just gets worse!

Postby claire edwards » Thu May 10, 2007 6:35 pm

Hi Min
Thanks for the advice re getting other people to help round the house etc...employing a cleaner is out of the question due to finances but would be a fantastic idea..
I know im lucky really because my partner is fantastic but he suffers from a bad back so we are trying to take it in turns to look after each other, bless us both??
Have seen the occupational health today and they have deemed me unfit for work for the forseeable future, this i knew but it is one less thing to have to worry about as i can hardly take one day at a time let alone think about going back to work!!
Just got home from seeing them and a letter has arrived from the hospital to say that i am low in vitamin D so have to see the dr about that. my mum has osteoperosis so that could very well be the next thing.
Anyway, enough winging, hope you are reasonably well today. take care and speak to you soon.
Claire
claire edwards
UKFM Member

Re: Thanks somebody_else

Postby louiseb » Tue May 15, 2007 8:26 pm

claire edwards wrote:Hiya
thanks for the email, will put your email addy into my comp so can email you.
It seems to be a very quiet site, have joined the joint hypermobility site as well and they seem quite active so at least i hear from someone with something if you know what i mean??
You said to ask my GP about something but my brain is quite haggled at present (what a surprise) so can you tell me again, do you struggle to remember things?? I have always been a good multitasker but over the last few months i cant seem to cope with doing more than one thing at a time, i try to do more than one thing but i forget im doing it and move on to something else, people think i could set the house on fire (i tend to agree)!!
Hope to hear from you again.
claire

Hello Claire, I am new to the forum too. Though my diagnosis came about 4 years ago now. All the things youve said ring so very true and Im hoping to find friends who can understand what us fibromites go through. Its not easy telling partners, loved ones or "normal" friends how we feel because we dont want to burden or upset them. So i guess a support group is just that. I have email MSN etc, so if you ever feel like talking am usually about as Im housebound 24/7 but do try to get out at weekends with my husbands. Pls feel free to use my e mail addy. Hope to hear from you again.

Louiseb
louiseb
UKFM Member

Going through what we do?

Postby claire edwards » Tue May 15, 2007 8:42 pm

Hi Louise
Thanks for email, am glad you understand what im going through, its nice to not be alone. I am happy to chat to you whenever. Lets face it, we need all the friends we can get that understand these things!!
Im sorry that you are completely housebound, that must be hard...we live near the sea so i feel blessed that we are able to spend time there getting some fresh air.
One thing i am forcing myself to do more than anything is make sure i have at least ten minutes walk nearly every day, im scared that if i dont i will eventually cease up altogether and im not ready for that yet!!
Hope to hear from you again soon.
Claire
claire edwards
UKFM Member

Return to General Topics