[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - dog owners - i need advice, murphy is very sick

dog owners - i need advice, murphy is very sick

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

dog owners - i need advice, murphy is very sick

Postby Adele » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:26 pm

hi, i had to rush murphy, my sprollie, to the vets this evening. he has been vomiting all day, about 10 times, and to prove it threw up 6 more times at the vets. the vet has just phoned and he has been xrayed and ultrasounded and had blood tests and is on a drip. i was worried he had been poisoned but that is all ok. he has a stomach full of food that is painfully distended and they think he probably has an intermitant blockage out of his stomach to his intestines.

he had been vomiting what looks and smells like faeces. it must be so painful for him. they are giving him laxatives and exercising him over night but if that doesn't work they will operate tomorrow. i am so worried. murph is the only family i have and to be honest i am scared he will die. he had a bone last night as usual and i am really worried a piece may perforate his stomach.

he is in a brilliant vet hospital getting the best care but he looked dreadful; skinny, cowering and i could see the pain in his eyes. i have done all i can i think. i left my pjs for him to cuddle and they will phone me if he gets worse before morning.

do any of you know how serious this is and do you think he will be ok? if he needs surgery is it major surgery and will he take long to recover?

thank you, adele :hugs:
Adele
UKFM Member

Re: dog owners - i need advice, murphy is very sick

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:29 pm

What sort of food is he eating??-kibble, raw diet, tinned meat with mixer??
Has he chewed a toy or something that he could have swallowed part of it??

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:31 pm

Has he been jumping around after he'd eaten??

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Adele » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:42 pm

hi fluppy, i'm so careful with all that after 3 years of him having colitis. he has fish kibble twice a day and two kongs a day filled with natural wet food made of chicken, veg and rice (shop bought!) and a small raw hide chew before bed. every 2 weeks he has a bone substituted for his usual food as the vet adviced. he has been in great condition and the right weight on this diet.

i never exercise him just after a meal, he usually lies down for about an hour to digest it. he is my first dog and i have tried to do the best for him. i thought i had finally got it right - until now.

:flowers: adele
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:57 pm

he's in the best place possible for him at the moment. There are many things that could have caused the problem. If he bolted his kibble, some bit could have got stuck and swelled up, which could cause the stomach distension. This is known as bloat and is something we have to watch with DeeDee as she's a greedy so and so. If he's eaten part of a toy or something else, that could be causing a blockage, which might explain why he's vomited stuff resembling faeces as it has no other way to get out. Or it could be something that has caused a reaction/spasm in his gut which is responsible.

These things can happen to any doglet, regardless of how careful their huu-mons are, it's not something we can have absolute control over unfortunately. He's getting the best care your vet can give him, which is what he needs :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: the gas starts to come out of his stomach and things improve overnight :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Ldyalb » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:32 pm

:hugs:

I really hope he's better soon.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby mellabella » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:02 am

I'm so sorry to hear of your poor dog. It does sound like some sort of blockage but i'm sure he is in the best possible place to receive the care he needs. :grouphug:

Mella.
mellabella
UKFM Member

Postby Adele » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:07 am

thank you for your replies. :hugs: it all got to me and i fell asleep straight away after reading fluppys reply without taking my pills or undressing.
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby budda » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:38 am

Ah poor wee thing, as the others say he is in the best place, am sure he will be fine, said a prayer for him. :hugs:
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:11 am

Hope murphy gets better soon. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby lynn22 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:49 am

Hi, hope Murphy gets better soon, its just awful when they fall ill. My old guy Benson had an opp a few weeks ago and given his various medical conditions and age he bounced back wonderfully, Dogs are so resiliant and am sure he will be fit and well very soon. When benson came home I boiled some rice and chicken with a stock cube until he could eat anything heavier, this seemed to do the trick and keep his stomach settled. Sending you and Murphy a big hug :grouphug:
lynn22
UKFM Member

Postby loopyloo » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:34 am

hiya. i hope murphy will be ok i understand what he means to you as my dogs mean just as much as my kids do to me :fingerscrossed: i hope you have good news soon lots of :hugs:
loopyloo
UKFM Member

Postby Schnoodle » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:51 am

Hi There - i'm new here so i hoe you dont mind me replying.

I hope your dog is ok - i know how worrying it can be. I have only had my dog (a 2 and a half year old staffie) since november but i know how much they mean to you - i never had a dog before but i couldn't ever imagine not having him here - he is my baby!

sending you hugs - :hugs:

schnoodle

xx
Diagnosed with severe fibromyalgia/cfs febuary 2009.
Schnoodle
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:58 pm

:fingerscrossed: he isnt in for long Adele and he'll bounce right back soon :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Adele » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:10 pm

hi everyone,
thank you so much for your kind words. i am having the flare of my life and the worst migraine i have ever had. my friend went and got me some migraine pills as i haven't taken them before and it has eased things up enough to have a snack and to write this and then i am going back to sleep.

the vet has been calling me hourly since 7:30 with news. poor murph was vomiting at least once an hour all night and then started bringing up blood with it this morning. he was xrayed and then anaesthetised for an emergency gastroscopy. his oesophagus was very sore and his stomach lining was raw and it was still full of sharp bone fragments, he also had gas in loops of his bowel, which he didn't have last night.

he had surgery late morning and is not up to visitors yet. he is sleeping and being observed. he is staying in at least 2 days until he passes a motion and he is able to eat food and keep it down.

i've just ordered a comfy collar online at VetUk. it's like a soft cushion around their necks instead of a buster collar.

lastly, thank goodness for pet insurance, last year i was thinking of cancelling it as the premiums were high and i was paying out more than i was getting in return. i pay over £240 a year but this treatment will probably cost thousands. if you have a pet please insure them. petplan cover treatment for life for conditions such as diabetes.

:grouphug: they really are (wo)man's best friend....btw the vet hospital has 24 hour visiting and i've said i'm moving in. :lol:
Adele
UKFM Member

Next

Return to General Topics