Flying

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Flying

Postby bestnan » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:51 am

Hi Guys

We are flying to Bermuda next month (15th May) to see our son, who lives there. Has anyone any advice for getting through the journey. I have booked wheelchair assistance all the way through, and I would appreciate some suggestions please. I have only had my diagnosis just over a week but I have had this a long time.

Many thanks

Sheila xx
bestnan
UKFM Member

Re: Flying

Postby shazq » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:08 am

HI
Wow that will be a long flight for you.
You should buy some of those flight stockings and take a travel pillow and blanket with you.
Make sure you keep all your meds with you.

Have a lovely time. :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby bestnan » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:40 am

Thanks. British Airways provide all those for you :D and they are aware of my condition. I believe the flight is 7 hours long and we should arrive about 6pm. My son will meet us and it's a taxi straight to his place. I'll have a long rest. I will ensure that I have plenty of water, but it is the constant need to go to the loo :lol

I am lucky to have a very supportive hubby who nags at me if I don't rest.

Take care Sheila xx
bestnan
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:55 pm

Have a good time bestnan :fingerscrossed: everything goes well with the flight
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:43 pm

Wow, what a wonderful place to be going to :clap: :clap: It's a long time since I've flown (have been told not to by drs due to weird ear pressure and balance problems) so no advice that would be of any use to you I'm afraid as our jollibobs have all been UK based sine then :facepalm: :facepalm:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Nellyphant » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:07 pm

Have a fabby time. Not much to add really as good advice already been given. Hopefully they will allocate you a seat with easy access so that you can go to the loo when you need to.
Nellyphant
UKFM Member

Postby bestnan » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:58 pm

Thanks all for your replies

We have booked seats near to the loos, hubby is as bad as me :roll: :lol: and I'll take walks if I can other than that plenty of feet exercises :lol:

I am so looking forward to going as son moved there in September and he didn't manage to get home for Christmas. It will be hard leaving him :lol:

All the best

Sheila xx :wine:
bestnan
UKFM Member

Postby Adele » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:46 pm

you could try for an free ungrade to business class during the flight. tell them you can't cope with the pain and need to stretch out. it's worth a try. on one flight to australia i lay down on the floor by the emergency exits over the wing to have regular naps as i can't sleep sitting up. loads of space and feet but no-one seemed to mind. maybe ask your doctor for a good muscle relaxant like 10mg of diazepam and try to walk about or at least stretch.

7 hours does go quickly if you keep yourself occupied. take stuff to do and loads of magazines to read. iused to do origami on flights. anything to distract yourself. remember if you take medication with you to take a presciption or doctors letter as some medications are illegal abroad.

i hope you have a great time :hugs: adele
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby bestnan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:25 pm

Thanks Adelle

I like the idea of getting bumped up to business or first, so we'll see. They may take pity on me.

I am going to discuss all with the Dr before we go. Because I have a heart condition my Dr made me promise that I would have a glass of red wine with my meals.......such a hard promise to make :wine:

Take care all

Sheila xxxx
bestnan
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:13 pm

Flying.

Now not many get a free upgrade if you disabled.
Reason is you cant get the long leg room thats near to the door as you cannot as disabled manage to open the door quicly enough.
Also you cannot sit in the middle of a seat if you are disabled, you get an aisle seat.
(This is BA) regulations.
If you tell them you are disabled they call you with children and mothers, they will offer you a wheelchair at stops, they will put you on airplane first and then off last.
Tell me about it my sister works for BA and i had to register with them to go to family illness in Australia twice - its a bit of a nightmare but they do all they can to help you.
You need to get a letter from your Dr with all your complaints and your medications.
You can take a small amount in your hand bag to get yu over the air time, but you have to have your prescription, and a letter with you - this saves you getting accused of carrying drugs - well you know how paranoid air travel people are.
Hope this helps anyone needing to travel.
princess
(yes im back)
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby Greyfox » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:33 pm

Hi

I am new to this site as of today but I have been on many drugs and have flown many times. I have always taken my tablets in their original packets as they have had my name on them and also I have taken an extra load just incase of any delays, the last thing you want is to be miles from home and without your tablets. I always if possible get an aisle seat so I can stand up as and when I need to and on long flights you can walk about no one really cares as you will find that there will be others in the same boat as you.

Have a great time.
Greyfox
UKFM Newbie

Postby Schnoodle » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:52 pm

hope you have a fab time. how exciting! x
Diagnosed with severe fibromyalgia/cfs febuary 2009.
Schnoodle
UKFM Member

Postby budda » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:37 am

Hi sheila, I flew to new york, that was 8hours, i was fine, just keep getting up of your seat and walk round the plane, hope you have a great holiday :hugs:
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby bestnan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:21 pm

Thanks for all you suggestions everyone. I am so looking forward to seeing my son. He has been in Bermuda since September and I have missed him. He's only 25 and has worked so hard to get where he is.

Take care all

Sheila xx
bestnan
UKFM Member

Postby mellabella » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:05 pm

How about a Parachute?... what? :dunno: what? :dunno: I'm just saying like. :D
mellabella
UKFM Member

Next

Return to General Topics