anyone got/read any theories on why FM mainly affectswomen?

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

anyone got/read any theories on why FM mainly affectswomen?

Postby lindaloola » Tue May 24, 2011 2:39 pm

I have often wondered why it is mainly women that are affected by FM? Is it a hormonal issue? Is it the way our brains are wired? Could it be that we are more likely to be the personality type that develop FM? Could it be a genetic thing ie it is more likely to be in our genes than in mens? I asked my rheumy and said is it to do with hormones? and he said yes it is,,and that was it. My thoughts are if it is connected to hormones will it get better when I go through menopause. I suspect not as I can see that there are lots of older women that are suffering? If it is down to hormones then surely a succesful treatment should have been devised by now?

I went to see my doc a few weeks ago as I was feeling so bad begging for answers...I WANT MY LIFE BACK! she said that if something new was devised for FM I would know about it and that the peson who can find an answer for fibro would become very rich!
I just think that theres so many clues in the symtoms and maybe in the fact that it mainly affects women I just wonder why nobody anywhere has come up with an answer and treatment that works. I cant accept that it is incurable. I am always looking for my own answers. Ive read many theories but no definative answers. maybe the people researching it should have it themselves that would sure spur them on! maybe ot there somewhere somebody has found the answer but the process of getting it recognised and acted upon is too slow? :facepalm:
lindaloola
UKFM Member

Re: anyone got/read any theories on why FM mainly affectswomen?

Postby diane1 » Tue May 24, 2011 6:33 pm

I agree totally and I posted something the other day stating that if those with the power to do something about the condition had it ,it would be a different story.

I have researched this alot and did fin reports that they now believe it is hereditary and that its when we suffer a trauma of some kind that the condition rears its head. They also have found a link to Arthritis and mental health issues. My sister and mother have both my sister also have fibro. What we need is this to be put out there so people understand better, and for research to be done. May be if we all send something to our M.P.'s for more research to be done we might start to get something done. The last research I found was done in Asia.

We could maybe set up a template that you add your name etc to and then email it to your own MP. Does anyone know if this would possible from this site.

:?: :dunno:
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby lindaloola » Tue May 24, 2011 6:40 pm

I would be interested in signing something like that. Only research in Asia,,now thats depressing!
I would be interested in knowing how mny other people have close relatives with fibro. my mum thinks she has it but not as bad as me. My little sister whos 20 years younger than me seems to be like I was when I was her age Im worried she will develop it :(
lindaloola
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Tue May 24, 2011 8:21 pm

My Mum and her Mum both have it as well, so far my Mum's 2 younger sisters don't have it to the best of my knowledge, I'm hoping my cousin will escape it also
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby diane1 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:51 pm

all

I've just checked out the fibro home page and you can contact your MP by clicking on the link on the left hand side. Once you've clicked this you can either email your MP personally or set up a petition,they give you an URL address or people to go to and sign on.

I have just emailed my MP (the link finds them through your post code) and asked why more research isnt done in the UK and why fibromyalgia isnt publicised better. I've also mentioned the appaling service provided by Atos and their lack of medical knowledge for fibro.

It probably wont do any good but its worth a shot and if we all at least email our MP's they might eventually take note.

I'm still currently a civil servant so am not sure if I could set up a petition, but once i've had my final leaving date I would be willing.

So come on folks get emailing NOW . :wave:
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Return to General Topics