Setting up a support group HELP!!!

Find a support group in your area or find out if there are others with whom you could start up a group.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Setting up a support group HELP!!!

Postby Woodentop » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:55 pm

Harley,Bookworm is right, CVS is Council for Voluntary Services - they can be very helpful. I keep thinking of odd things that may help you. Probably obvious, but make sure the room you hire is comfortable - not too warm or cold and seats that don't give you a numb bum! Nearby parking that doesn't cost the earth and a room that you can have all the time - preferably that you can book in advance for 12 months to guarantee you'll get it. We have a room above our local library and we plan our next twelve months meetings ( we meet once a month ) usually in September/October. At our meeting today we have given out posters with all our dates and info on the meetings next year to members, who will take them to various doctors surgeries as we cover quite a large area and everyone's registered with different GP's.
We also have a poster in the physio department at the local hospital and when the physios start a 6 week fibro course we go along and talk to the group there about what we do. We usually pick up 2 or 3 new members each time and just chatting to the newly diagnosed fibromites helps them see that there is life after diagnosis! If you have this course at your local hospital, it may be worth going along and chatting to the physios.
Hope you don't mind me coming back with odd bits of info, I just keep thinking of things I forgot that may be helpful ( fibro fog striking again !)
Woodentop
UKFM Member

Postby Harley » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:21 pm

Thank you Woodentop, you are a star. :clap:

I was starting to get the :banghead: feeling but all this info has given me some direction at last.
Harley
UKFM Member

Postby Woodentop » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:24 pm

Glad I've been able to help Harley. It's often the little things that can get overlooked and you wonder why you didn't think of them before -especially with our foggy brains! Good luck with it all
Woodentop
UKFM Member

Postby bevpope » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:44 pm

Hi

As regional co-ordinator for wales and working with fma uk, I would like to point out that your group would be totally independantly run. You work under FMA charity number, as long as you state you work with them. FMA Uk are only there for help and advice if needed !!!! They do not have an input into how you run. You can either be a committee run group or informal coffee morning.

For more info check www.fmauk.org

Bev Pope
Wales
bevpope
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Support Groups