[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Anyone near Aberdeen?

Anyone near Aberdeen?

Find a support group in your area or find out if there are others with whom you could start up a group.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Anyone near Aberdeen?

Postby clair.mcpherson » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:58 am

Hi,

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in March/April this year and thought I was coping pretty well with it at the beginning. Unfortunately as time is going on I seem to be getting a lot of bad days compared to good days. I was originally on medication for depression (Sertraline) and so was kept on this but was also subscribed Gabapentin tablets 3 times a day. They were originally going to put me on Amitriptyline but having a history of Epilepsy (and on medication for the rest of my life for it) the Amitriptyline can sometimes interfere with the antiepileptic drug and so was subscribed the Gabapentin. I didn’t notice that much difference to be honest but persevered. After a few months I had extremely bad water retention and was told that this could be a result of the Gabapentin tablets and because they were not really helping me they took me off of them.

I now get co-codamol tablets to take when really bad but unfortunately I can only take these when I'm in the house as they make me extremely dopey. I struggle with sleep e.g. this past weekend I managed six hours over the period from Friday to Sunday and so by Monday I was a wreck and crying at the slightest thing etc. I have also been given tramadol tablets but again these make me dopey and so I cannot drive with them and I need to drive to get to work. Which leads me to another biggy for me at present, I have had to take a lot of time off work and this stresses me out as in this current climate everyone is scared for their jobs and I really don’t want to lose it.

Enough of my moaning.......for now anyway :-) I just wondered if there were any other sufferers in the Aberdeen area who would consider meeting up for a chat or if anyone knows of any Support Groups in and around the area. Although all my close family and friends are extremely supportive I feel that speaking to fellow sufferers would help and give me ideas on how to live from day to day with Fibromyalgia.

I look forward to hearing from anyone.

Clair
clair.mcpherson
UKFM Newbie

Re: Anyone near Aberdeen?

Postby wee rascal » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:32 pm

Hiya Clair :wave:

I'm not in Aberdeen...i'm near Brechin, so not a million miles from you. I don't know of any support groups up your way....have you tried searching online? The nearest one to me is down in Dundee, although I've never been.

I understand completely how you're feeling with the meds....mine knock me for six as well and it feels like i'm drunk most days :(

I hope that today is a better day for you :flowers:

P.S...I found one http://www.fibroaction.org/Pages/Aberde ... Group.aspx

Catherine

wee rascal
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:35 pm

Hi Clair, sorry you are suffering at the moment but :welcome: to the forum, sorry I'm nowhere near you but it looks like wee rascal has sorted you on that one :hugs: :hugs: :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby clair.mcpherson » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:30 pm

Thanks for taking the time to look for a meeting within the Aberdeen area. I think this is the one I already contacted but received no reply but I'll try again just in case. Thanks again, appreciate the assistance and I'll let you know how I get on.

Clair :-)
clair.mcpherson
UKFM Newbie

Postby wee rascal » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:59 pm

Hiya :wave:

If you don't get any joy there...try contacting these folks http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/xcc_comm ... 2&ind2=133 they may be able to give you some info or point you in the right direction. :fingerscrossed:

Catherine

wee rascal
UKFM Member

Postby clair.mcpherson » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:32 pm

Hi

I left a message on their answering machine and emailed approx 6 weeks ago but unfortunately no one came back to me which makes me think they no longer exist.

Thanks again :D
clair.mcpherson
UKFM Newbie

Postby wee rascal » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:40 pm

Hi,

Ahhhh...that's a pity :( .

I know for sure that the Tayside and Perth group are still on the go...if all else fails you could contact them to see if they know of anything? No idea what else to suggest i'm afraid.http://www.tapfm.co.uk/index.php

Hope you find something sharpish :D

Catherine

wee rascal
UKFM Member

Postby Artisan » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:47 am

There's a directory of support groups in the UK on the UK Fibfromyalgia website at http://www.ukfibromyalgia.com/fm-suppor ... roups.html - there's an Aberdeen group on the Scotland page.
Regards
Malcolm (UKFM Forum Admin)
Artisan
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:15 am

Hi Clair there is a group and there has been an email containing information sent to Artisan, I've attached it here so you can contact the
relative person for more information, sorry the document could not be done as a link so I have copied and pasted the body of text from the email as it was recieved by us.

Hi .Im sorry to bother you but their is one of the questions asking does anybody know if their is a fibromyalgia support group in Aberdeen.I just wanted to let this woman know that their is a monthly meeting held every last Saturday at Aboyne Sheltered Housing at Aboyne Terrace, Garthdee. The group starts at 11 o clock till 1pm.If she looks up the Beehive website for the Aberdeen and District Fibromyalgia Support group then Claire will find out their the phone number and information that she requires. Hope this information is of help to her. I used to go to the group but not now due to other comittments. Yours sincerely Lesley
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Support Groups