[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - geocaching?

geocaching?

Rib ticklers, hobbies and things to do on a rainy day!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

geocaching?

Postby Hjp75 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:53 am

Hiya has anyone else heard of
geocaching and if so what do you think about it?

♥εїз H εїз♥
Hjp75
UKFM Member

Re: geocaching?

Postby shazq » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:09 am

HI
No never heard of it, will have to google it later :dunno:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:00 pm

new one on me think I'll have a go at google too :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:08 pm

I've heard of it, something to do with using co-ordinates and GPS to locate things that have been left by people. When you find it, something is left telling your experiences of getting there. It's a bit like a hi-tech treasure hunt.

There was something on the news last week about one that had been left under something in the middle of a North Yorks town. It was thought to be a suspicious package so the bomb squad came to check it and shut the town centre off for several hours :yikes: :yikes: :facepalm: :facepalm:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:10 pm

oops :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I thought it was a new treatment :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:21 pm

shazq
UKFM Veteran

Re: Re: geocaching?

Postby Hjp75 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:26 pm

Hjp75
UKFM Member

Postby Claire Spong » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:16 am

My OH and I go caching quite a bit, it's good fun, especially for kids. I find it gives me some gentle exercise. It's worth planning to go somewhere you can get a few quite close together and having a good look on the computer at the various instructions for each one. Each one tells you how difficult the terrain is and how far the walk and whether it is wheelchair or buggy accessible etc. Also look at the size of the cache, tiny ones are nanos which are magnetic tubes only 1cm big, next are micros, typically old 35mm film canisters, then you start on the bigger ones which are better for kids as they have little gifts in that you can take away. The idea is that whenever you take something you deposit something so have a stash of tiny toys at the ready, bouncy balls, novelty erasers, small plastic cars, marbles and such like. Also you may find large coins or items with tags on in them, these are trackables, designed to travel the world from cache to cache. I recently started off a fibroduck called fereleth as a trackable travelling the country to try to raise awareness as she goes! She has made it to the lake district from Derbyshire so far!

If you have an HTC phone or other phone where you can download apps I would recommend downloading cgeo as a start off as it is free. You have to pay for the official geocaching app and if you are not totally sure about it it is not worth spending the money. On your phone you can find local caches using the built in gps and it will display them on Google maps then press on the cache icon to get details up and a hint and when you are close use the compass function to guide you to where the cache is. You need to have given yourself a user name and logged that on the official site on the computer before you go out so that when you find the cache you can write your name on the log and date your find and usually TFTC, thanks for the cache. Make a note of which caches you find as you go around then when you get home go onto your page on the website and log all the ones you have found, if you wish upload photos of the kids with the cache. As you get more into it you may want to download the official app and also pay to become a premium member which allows you to see before anyone else when new caches become active and then if you are very quick you can get out and be the first to find them!

Sorry for such a long post, if you want any more details send me a mail!

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk
Dx March 2011
Read my blog about how I'm coping with finding out I have Fibro on: http://fibronewbie.blogspot.com/
Claire Spong
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:46 am

Sounds great Claire, especially with the summer hols coming up for the kids, thanks for the info it may just help some members get going with something new :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Normal4Norfolk » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:39 am

I have heard about this think I might download an app and give it a go :D
Normal4Norfolk
UKFM Newbie

Postby ITbird » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:45 pm

I love geocaching! My OH and the kids do it often. Good teamwork activity and everyone gets some exercise!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Fletch x
ITbird
UKFM Member

Return to Positive and Fun