Describe your Fibro?

Rib ticklers, hobbies and things to do on a rainy day!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Describe your Fibro?

Postby beadyeye » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:28 pm

I have had Fibro for 7 years, and have recently become interested in the way others describe their pain/fog etc
It is so difficult to explain to other people how we feel, but I've found that a short descriptive phrase can really help to paint a picture.

I'll start with mine, and would love to hear if anyone has any others.

When I first wake up there is an elephant sitting on my whole body.
On bad days I feel as though I've been hit by a speeding double decker bus.
My head sometimes feels like mashed potato.
I often wear a lead overcoat.!

I'd love to hear from you.
beadyeye
UKFM Newbie

Re: Describe your Fibro?

Postby Sazzle » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:46 pm

I was comparing notes with a colleague's wife yesterday. Colleague told me the day before that his wife has Fibro and I happened to bump into them in local coffee shop. Lot of similarities but still different. She has been seen by a rheumy and is on sustained release ibruprofen, I haven't been seen by rheumy but my GP is happy for the fibro diagnosis as we have ruled out just about everything else with blood tests.

I vary day to day. On a good day I can think straight for part of the day and then my words go, I can't string a sentence together and forget simple words. I suffer constant pain but to different degrees. It effects my hands, my arms, my hips and pelvis, my knees, hmm my feet are mostly ok.

On a good day I can get up with one snooze from my alarm, on a bad day I lie there willing my body to move.

If I forget to take my pain meds one night, the next day I feel like I have been run over by a truck and it takes a few days to get back to a low level of pain.

I had 2 strange immune responses last year which could not be traced to allergies, had allergy blood tests at the hospital and apart from a low level reaction to tree pollen and dust mites it was clear. I also suffer with vertigo which the audiologist thinks is linked to the fact I have suffered with migraine in the past. My brain has got out of sync and needs retraining. Not sure if this is fibro linked but sure is fun! :yikes:
Alannis Morisette if you don't want those 10,000 spoons I have a knife, wanna swap?
Sazzle
UKFM Member

Postby BuzzyB » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:15 am

When I am having a bad fog type day I tend to tell people 'I feel like my head is full of candyfloss' (although today I told boyfriend it felt full of helium), 'my fingers are buzzing' gets uttered a lot and I usually describe the taste amitriptyline leaves in my mouth in the morning as 'tasting like i've been licking a monkey.
Bluffy the Fibro Sleeper
BuzzyB
UKFM Member

Describe your Fibro?

Postby Mozza » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:49 am

When i wake up my body is 'frozen' and cramped. As soon as my feet touch the floor i have excrutiating pain which makes me shuffle rather than walk. On a not so bad day my mind goes into overhaul, my 'friend' guilt then sits on my right shoulder while my other 'friend' low self esteem sits on my left and they have a party to themselves at my expense. On a bad day i cry, sometimes for 'no apparent reason' sometimes because its just too sore!!! Gave myself a treat yesterday and got acrylics, wont be doing it again, its like having ten stubbed toes on my fingers. I miss dancing :-(( xxm
Mozza
UKFM Member

Postby shelleydwales » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:11 am

I wake up with my back pain every morning, feels like I've been on a stretching rack all night,sometimes I manage to roll out of bed sometimes I have to be helped.
Feel like my joints are in vices especially wrists and knees,
My bones are throbbing and one minute im sweating buckets the next im shivering cold .

My poor head !! most days now its over worked trying to think of the word for that stupid thing in front of me that I cant remember the name of!! Or trying to remember what I was just going to do !!

Hugs everyone xxx

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
Shell xxxx

Tomorrow is another day....be brave and smile :-)
shelleydwales
UKFM Member

Postby littlereddevil » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:04 pm

Day to day I feel roughly the same, but with occasional harsh changes that make me panic.

Morning my arms, fingers, wrists and shoulders are stiff and very painful, aching and often one arm is asleep with vicious pins and needles. The rest of my body is painful, like im bruised all over, each bone feels like ive been knocked over. It takes me about half an hour to sit up due to disoriental fog. Worse if ive rolled on my front as my chest & lower back hurts so bad...steamrollered in bed.

Afternoon I feel debilitating fatigue, slow movement and get my words jumbled, loose train of thought, and try to stay awake. Often im tooscared to move through pain, dizzy, tired and the painful joints and cling my way round the house. I panic alot as I dont understand why Im like this. The tops and sides of my shoulders feel like they are being squashed towards my chest by a iron vice, migranes usually are worse in the day.

Nightiime I fall asleep early and wake early, I wake in the night or sometimes sleep 16 hours, I sleep in the day, my neck and legs hurt as if my head and body are lead - and even on a good day find myself napping in odd places the amitriptyline and codydramol/eccodolac all playing their part in trying to numb the pain but making me sleepy.
littlereddevil
UKFM Member

Postby Whogirl » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:12 am

When my hands are really bad I've described it as follows.

Imagine laying out your hands on your desk and someone taking a large stapler to them, bashing them everywhere. Then stick them in a cup of hot coffee or tea. I think thats the best way to describe it lol ;-)
"So where to today, Doctor?" Image
Whogirl
UKFM Member

Postby lolabolla » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:32 am

The pain is like 'rats gnawing at my bones'

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby diamondintherough » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:58 pm

Sometimes my brain feels like its been attacked by a potato masher.
When my ribs hurt it feels like theres a lepricorn inside me kicking me in the ribs again and again.
When im aching all over it feels like iv been hit by a bus and then dragged thru a hedge backwards.
diamondintherough
UKFM Member

Postby Radar8407 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:16 pm

I feel as if I've ran the London Marathon about 75 times consecutively because I have forgotten the other 74 times!
When your life feels lost. Fight against all odds! Never give in. Never back down!
Radar8407
UKFM Member

Postby KimShaw » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:21 pm

I was diagnosed this week after spending last 12 years thinking I had arthritis. My knees, hands, neck and shoulders are constantly in pain and swollen. I have chronic sinisitis which means my jaw and head are in pain. I am constantly tired but for the last 5 years have put it down to dealing with daily pain and two young,energetic children!
I am at present scared whitless about FM. The Rheumy gave me the diagnosis, admitted previous diagnosis was wrong, then gave me a small leaflet on FM and a full prescription of drugs I never heard of - then discharged me!!
Its good to have this forum to read more about it.
Thanks.
Kim
KimShaw
UKFM Newbie

Postby Marlou » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:57 pm

When I awake in the morning feels as if I haven't even been to sleep :(
I struggle terrible to get out of bed and have to hold on to everything to get me out of bedroom to bathroom and going downstairs, "total nightmare" :yikes:

Feel as if my body has taken a internal battering, everywhere :(
plus as if i have walked for miles and miles and miles.

If I tip off anything eg: door, furniture ... the pain is unbearable :(

and the list goes on, migraines, fatigue, anxiety .
I drop things as my grip is weak in my hands and i get tingling/numb, plus electric shock sensations on my fingertips :cry:

And this is only part of this horrible affliction :cry:
Marlou
UKFM Member

Postby pauline » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:14 pm

A daily up hill struggle :cry: but one day I will reach the top of that this bloody hill and come down the other side smiling :-P KEEP POSITIVE :blowkiss:
pauline
UKFM Member

Postby rosehip » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:35 pm

i feel like i have run a marathon and got run over by a truck at the finishing line and so so very tired all the time . x :roll:
rosehip
UKFM Member

Postby stageside » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:13 pm

I usually describe the way i'm feeling as a caged eagle once used to the freedom and now stuck between four walls, my head is like a washing machine spinning around and round not being able to focus on one thing, I forget a lot of things and tend to use the wrong words when talking to people.

Waking up and getting out of bed is always a struggle, that of course is when i do get some sleep from the constant crawling of invisible insects over every part of my body and the cramps in my legs and feet.

my prized posessions, my guitars, stand gathering dust now from lack of attention due to my hands locking up, art brushes harden from being left without use, bright light irritates my eyes and the pain in my neck and shoulders is always unbearable, I am afraid to go out on my own in case i stumble and fall.

i am but a shadow of the man i once was.
stageside
UKFM Member

Return to Positive and Fun