[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Dog Owners and dog walking

Dog Owners and dog walking

Rib ticklers, hobbies and things to do on a rainy day!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby TracyDiane » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:17 pm

Hi all,

I realise that this may be a totally odd post to place on the UKfibromyalgia forum and My deepest appolgies if I have placed it in the wrong place or should not have posted it at all. :-?

I have two basset hounds dogs which are the sweetest girls in the world. :dogrun1:
I rescued them from their previous owner who was not looking after them properly. One of them was 7 years old and could hardly walk :( when I first got her, she had infections and what we thought was arthritis,
She was also over weight, very dirty, been living outside in a pen which was filthy. :nono:

With much vet treatment and money spent she now walks wonderfully and has a new lease of life, :-D the previous owner told me that she probably only had another year left in her as she had been used for breeding. She lost weight and with treatment and kindness she recovered really well. :clap:

I live for my dogs and worked in dog boarding kennels for many years.

I always walk my dogs everyday unless just recently I am finding very difficult to do so. :(

Today I had the most awful pains on walking, aching and electric shock like pains up my legs, my buttocks became cold, numb like and then very painful. I am devastated that this has happened all this week and this has prevented me from taking them for their usual walk. :cry:

Just wondering about other Fibromyalgia suffers who are also doggy owners how they cope with this devastation of feeling you cannot do the things the used to. :-?
TracyDiane :-)
TracyDiane
UKFM Member

Re: Dog Owners and dog walking

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:39 pm

There are quite a few members owned by doglets on here TracyDiane, so it's not as odd a post you you have thought :-D :-D
And don't worry about where you post things at the moment, it can take a while to find what goes where, so if there is a more suitable board for your topic, one of us will move it into it.

Your rescue girlies sound very special furbabies. It's amazing what TLC can do for a desperately sad and neglected doggie, and how that doggy, despite what it has been thru, will wag their tail when they meet a caring human :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

Being walked by DeeDee (the doglet that owns me and my family) isn't too bad for me as OH is around to do a good share of walkings with him working shifts. At the moment, he's on nights and works 3 on and 3 off, so I do the morning shift, then when OH is roused from his beauty sleep, he does the late afternoon/early evening shift.

When DeeDee takes me out, it's extremely painful when I set off, and carries on intensifying all the time I'm out, regardless of what meds I take or what I do to try and ease it. despite this, I still take her out as, not only does she need to go out, it's also of benefit to me. Sometimes it will be a slightly shorter walk if I'm really bad, otherwise, it's a couple of laps around her favourite field each morning and a shorter one later in the day.

If you're concerned about them not having enough exercise, mental stimulation can be just as tiring as physical exercise for them. Hiding treats around the house or garden and letting them find them is a good game. Or there are interactive, treat dispensing/rewarding toys, or even a good old stuffed kong to amuse them.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Selkie » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:12 pm

I have sort of the same problem, and we live somewhere that has no safe walks and no car to get to safe walks. Our Dagget is a jumper, so we have trained her to vault fences in the back garden (she was doing it anyway, but now she asks first :lol: ) after about half an hour of that and chase the ball around the back garden she is ok until we can get her out for a long walk/run. As we share our back gardens with quite a lot of neighbours, you can probably imagine their faces as madame sails past their windows at great speed! :lol:

Is there a park nearby? one that you can take a ball and allow them to walk themselves for half an hour without you having to walk with them?

Our Freyja...the incredible bouncing machine!
Selkie
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:26 pm

Hi TracyDiane your girls do sound amazing, they know you love them but sometimes its just not possible for us to manage walks, I have Harry a border collie and he is 2 this April, I cant walk him so other members of the family do it for me, Harry has hop dysplasia in both back legs so he cant walk far otherwise he has really bad pain but still likes to go out each day. Flup gave me loads of ideas regarding mental stimulation and I find that doing something with him helps tire him out without hurting.

So if you need to cut down on their walks there are things they can do instead :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:37 pm

Is Freyja part Tigger Selkie :-D :-D :-D

With what you've said about her, esp the bit about her asking before she jumps, and see what she looks like (she's gorgeous :blowkiss: :blowkiss: ) I've got these wonderful images running thru my head now :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Selkie » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:16 am

Definitely part tigger, she bounces to say hello to everyone :lol:

I think she prefers to be on two feet more than four a lot of the time.
Selkie
UKFM Member

Postby TracyDiane » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:53 pm

What an amazing jumper you have there! :clap:, I bet it is a real sight to see.

can someone please tell me how to add a picture as I would like to show you all my bassets :-D
TracyDiane
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:28 pm

Love the pic of Freyja. :-D
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:51 pm

Hope this makes sense to you TracyDiane, I'd love to see what your girlies look like :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

When you are posting a reply or starting a new topic, underneath the text box there are 2 tabs, "Options" and "Upload Attachment", so select "Upload Attachment"

Once on the "Upload Attachment" tab, there are 2 boxes, one which says "File Comment" where a comment, title or something can be given to the attachment. The other box is where you choose the item you want to upload. Click "Choose File" and it should hopefully open up the pictures folder on your pc. If it's the wrong place, then just open up the right place and select it. When you've done that and selected OK/Open and the filename should be now in the "Filename" box.

When it's there, select the "Add The File" grey button and it should then place your picture into your post, which you can check by choosing "Preview" button.

If you want to add any more things, just go thru it all again and hopefully all the piccies should be visible when you submit it :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby KTN86 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:25 pm

We have a monster dog, he's bigger than the average Collie so I find that he takes me for walks, OH has no problems walking Hamish, but I find it pretty painful keeping up with him, so instead we invent games for him in the house and make sure there are plenty of toys etc to stimulate him :)
Well this is a magical trip to the wrong side of the wardrobe.....
KTN86
UKFM Member

Postby Bellalina » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:24 am

My dog started to adjust to my pains. He started helping when I fell or he lays on my joints to sooth them. He is awesome. If I have a good day he knows it and than he requests his time with playing and going for walks!
He is my service dog by now. He also carries my groceries!
Bellalina
UKFM Member

Postby Mrs T. » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:18 pm

Poor you, I have similar problems with my 3.

I think though, dogs know when you are feeling wretched and they adapt accordingly.
Have you thought about maybe just chucking balls around the garden or an enclosed space for them ?

Or, perhaps there is a local teenager who might do it for a few quid a day ?

I use those wrap around heat pad things on my back when the pain is really bad. They are quite dear though and you only get 2 in a pack.

Dogs are not going to suffer too much if they miss their walk for a day. They've got food and love and that is just as important. I think so anyway.

I am Mum to a 10yr old greyhound, a bedlington whippet and a 4 month old Afghan. I can't walk the afghan though already as he is too strong. Luckily the o/h does it and all the miles that go with it. I just tootle about with the easy dogs .

Take care
Mrs T.
UKFM Member

Postby TracyDiane » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:08 pm

Hi All,
Here is some pictures of my wonderful girlie's. Nana is the lemon and white sitting with the toys, Merry is the Tri-colour
Attachments
DSC00080.JPG
Merry & Nana just lounging around.
DSC00080.JPG (82.11 KiB) Viewed 5906 times
TracyDiane
UKFM Member

Postby TracyDiane » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:13 pm

Thank you Fluffypuffy, I think Ive got the hang of it now.

heres a couple more.
Attachments
DSC00103.JPG
Nana loving the great outdoors
DSC00103.JPG (102.03 KiB) Viewed 5906 times
Last edited by TracyDiane on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TracyDiane
UKFM Member

Postby TracyDiane » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:26 pm

here is Merry, enjoying a Nap.
Attachments
Merry Napping.jpg
merry taking a nap
Merry Napping.jpg (21.16 KiB) Viewed 5903 times
TracyDiane
UKFM Member