[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Dog Owners and dog walking

Dog Owners and dog walking

Rib ticklers, hobbies and things to do on a rainy day!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Dog Owners and dog walking

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:22 pm

Glad my distructions made sense :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

They're very special gorgeous girlies :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby KTN86 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:09 pm

Gorgeous doggies :-D
Well this is a magical trip to the wrong side of the wardrobe.....
KTN86
UKFM Member

Postby Selkie » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:13 pm

They just look smooshable! :-D

Lie on couch! pile on blankets! pile on doggies! warm smooshy comfort pile!
Selkie
UKFM Member

Postby shelleydwales » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:26 pm

Awwww what beautiful babies you all have!!
I also walk my boy unless im crying in pain as i find if i miss the walk then im worse for it and stiffen up. :-( I am lucky that we have a park so close to us for bad days and i go slowly from bench to bench whilst Bailey does 10.000 laps!!! Lol!! Xx

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
Shell xxxx

Tomorrow is another day....be brave and smile :-)
shelleydwales
UKFM Member

Postby mellabella » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:35 pm

I also have problems walking my very lively sheepdog. I wasn't so bad when i first got her, in fact i didn't even know i had fibro but over the past 3 years i've gotten a lot worse. So far I've managed to get around the problem by taking the dog out in the car to a flat areas and the beach but sometimes i can't even walk on the flat, and during the past few months walking on the sand has become difficult too. The problem is made worse by the fact that she is a neurotic but faithful one woman sheepdog and won't go out with anyone else unless i'm with her. On really bad days when walking is out of the question to get around this, me an my youngest lad and a pack of meaty dog treats drive to the park to play a good game with her. We sit on different park benches, making sure there's a long space between us then we take turns in calling her. She runs back and forth between us and we give her a meaty treat when she gets to us. The game is over when she decided she's had enough and decides not to come out from under my bench. :crazy:

Lately though even this has become a bit of a chore so i've been looking into getting a treadmill as i've seen clips on you tube of dogs enjoying walks this way.. i also see they make treadmills just for dogs. :lol:

Bella
mellabella
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:02 pm

There things you can do with her at home Bella that can keep her mind busy, as many reckon that 10 minutes of mental stimulation can be as tiring as a 30 minute run.

You can use old boxes, cartons, tubes and things to hide bits of treats or food from her daily allowance in. If you then fasten the package up, rattle it so she knows there is something in it, then let her find her way into it, with her reward being the goodies in the box.

Depending on what level she is trained to, you could do some short training sessions, say 5~10 minutes at a time to either brush up her basic commands or try and teach her something new.

Depending on what sort of food she eats, you could hide some or all of a meal allowance around the house or garden/outside if the weather is decentish, which she then has to search out and find so she can eat it.

There are also treat dispensing toys you can use, such as a Kong or squirrel dude. They can be filled with some sort of tasty filling, then doglet has to work at licking and using her tongue to get the filling out. They're also good for frozen fillings.

You can also get doglet interactive toys, the most well~known range seems to be the Nina Ottosson ones The linky goes to her site to give you an idea of the kind of things available. They can be a bit on the dear side, cost wise, but there are other similar toys available at more reasonable prices.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:59 pm

They are wonderful looking ladies Tracy no wonder you love them so much :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby mellabella » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:08 pm

Thanks for your fab suggestions fluffy puppy. She does quite a few tricks for tasty treats, all the basic commands plus a few others like 'Piggy back' where she'll jump n your back ( not mine of course) 'dance' where she twirls round a few times on her back legs, Jump where she stands on her hind legs and jumps like she's on a pogo stick and more recently she's taught herself to bring the mail upstairs. She also knows all our names and the cats name and if you tell her to go find so and so, she'll run around the house untill she finds whoever it is. She will also take things to whoever you tell her to take them too... oddly enough she is mostly self taught or at least you only have to show her once or twice for her to understand.. She also gets a lot of mental stimulation from rounding up, guarding and most of all trying to outwit our cat although so far its the cat who wins every time. :twisted:

Unfortunately even though we have a large grassy secure garden she wont go out and stay out alone.. she'll just keep knocking the door with her paw until you let her in. I think she picked that one up from the cat who does the same thing when she wants to come in, even though we have a cat flap.

Bella
mellabella
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:05 pm

She sounds like a very clever and special girlie Bella :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: I've got wonderful images now of a doglet knocking on the door to come in now :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: If that was my doglet, she'd be sticking her head thru the catflap, then wondering why she had got stuck :facepalm: :facepalm:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby mellabella » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:17 pm

Hi Fluffy, it's not all plain sailing with her though she can be very neurotic as well. For instance, i was giving her a lovely Indian head massage in my bedroom about a year and a half ago and she was really enjoying it ( she was lying on my stomach at the time on the bed) I got to her ears and rubbed the ends a little and her eyes shot open she looked at me as if i'd done something horrendous and jumped off the bed and ran downstairs.. A year and a half later and she won't come into my bedroom - not even for tasty treats- at all unless my youngest son is with me or she knows im sleeping, in which case she'll jump on the bed next to the cat and stay there all night.....If i try to call her in to my room when she's upstairs she just runs downstairs, turns, and immediately seeks back up and past my door ( silent like a ninja) or she will lie outside my door looking sadly at me with only her eyes moving but she won't come in. And if she does come on the bed when i'm sleeping she somehow knows when i'm serious about getting up and not just half awake tossing and turning as she'll only jump off if i'm really getting up. She even knows if im only getting up to go to the loo and coming back to bed as she doesn't move. although if i say anything to her or look at her she'll run downstairs... The moral is never try to give your sheepdog and Indian head massage - even if your qualified! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mellabella
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:42 pm

It's strange how something can make them react, often with no obvious reason for it :-? :-? DeeDee likes her back end massaged, or uumoxed as it's known here :facepalm: :facepalm: (far too much Star Trek and sci~fi influence, we're really beyond hope :alien: :alien: :alien: )

I think there is definitely something in them knowing what is happening and what we're doing, as well as the usual sort of things like knowing when OH is coming home from work, the one that really got to us recently was when FIL died. On the night he was taken back to the angels, minutes before I got the call from OH to say he'd gone, she had got all her favourite toys out and laid them out on the floor in front of where I was sat, then she came and really squashed herself up to my legs and stayed there until I'd put the phone down. And while we were waiting for the funeral date, we visited MIL a few times, and on each visit DeeDee was really agitated, right up to the morning of the funeral. Once we'd got back from it tho, she settled back down to her usual self again. Whatever it is that they pick up on with how we are, it's seems to be a very intricate part of the bond that we share with them :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby mellabella » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:33 pm

That's an amazing story fluffy, I''ve always wondered whether dogs are so in tune with us that they can read our minds. A few weeks ago i saw a report on the news about a man who was suggesting that dogs are indeed telepathic after doing a number of experiments. And i recently watched a channel 5 series on you tube about dogs and all the amazing things they do.

About 20 years ago we had 2 dogs who were great friends, a 3 yr sheepdog called Meg and 12 yr old lab x Alsatian called Sheba. It was Nov 5th and the dogs were in the garden. Someone let off a firework early and before we knew it Sheba had disappeared from the garden leaving Meg behind . Three weeks of searching, calling, poster sticking, advertising and trawling the area in the car all day followed but it was like she had vanished off the fact of the earth. In the end i was simply looking under bushes for her body as I believed she must be dead. We were all heartbroken and Meg was pinning away. Then one evening Meg started scratching the door frantically to go out into the garden, we let her out and after five minutes called to get her back in but she was no where to be seen. she had disappeared as well. We were devastated, how could we loose 2 dogs in less than a month. Two awful days passed and not a sign of either of them, then, that evening we heard a familiar bark at our front door, opened it and there was Meg all excited and tail waggy, of course we were overjoyed and made a big fuss of her. She settled in front of the fire and about 2 hours passed when suddenly she jumped up and became frantic running back and fore to the front door scratching and crying. i went to the front door with her and opened it and she bounded out because at the bottom of the path, looking tired and weary was our Sheba plodding up the path towards me, she came in as if she'd never been away and plonked herself down in front of the fire with our Meg going berserk to see her... I totally believe that Meg and Sheba had some sort of telepathic communication going and that Meg went off to find Sheba and show her the way home by leaving a scent trail for her to follow.. it's too coincidental to be anything else. We had Sheba for another 6 years before she passed at 18 years but Meg unfortunately died when she was only 7 due to a terrible accident.. it's took me years before I could even look at another sheepdog without bursting into tears because i was so cut up at her untimely passing ...

Bella.
mellabella
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Positive and Fun