Any other bird watchers here?

Rib ticklers, hobbies and things to do on a rainy day!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Any other bird watchers here?

Postby cherrybee » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:01 am

Our baby chicks have flown the nest, much quieter down that part of garden now,
and not seen mummy bird for a while. Life goes on, will miss seeing her darting
in and out of the nesting box with the scraps of food
cherrybee
UKFM Member

Postby cherrybee » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:19 am

bella..lovely story, really enjoyed reading..hope the pigeons survive, we have
two that frequent our garden, tk care
cherrybee
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:59 am

Here i am sat here at 4am and all i can hear is tweet tweet tweet tweet :lol: the birds are awake and the sun is coming up.

I have 2 budgies so im glad they havnt started yet!!! :yikes:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Andrew_Z » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:12 pm

Lisa, I can relate to those early morning birds, and it's either a very lonely or positive experience, depending on one's mood. And years ago those tweets were accompanied by the noisy whirr and clink clink of the milk float. I wonder if the sparrows and tits on cold winter nights, tell their young of the days when their great grandpa and grandma pecked at the silver and gold tops of our bottles.

A sound that annoys me when I'm in bed is the constant tap tap of the songthrush outside the window, breaking open snail shells.

I'm getting worried about a juvenile blackbird. Every since leaving the nest it has taken to hovering round my feeding station, all day, as if it's the bird's only source of food. This isn't natural, it should have several alternative options, and yet it really love the apple I put out. :-)
Andrew_Z
UKFM Member

Postby Andrew_Z » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:16 am

I found a little field mouse in the night investigating my bird seed, another mouth to feed.

Anyone living along the south UK coast take care. Yesterday I found a false black widow in my bed, I'd only just killed one in the garage. They come indoors during the warm weather and are dangerous to anyone who is allergic to bee stings, in fact their bite is very nasty to anyone. But I've lived with them now for fourteen years and not been bitten yet, but then I am very careful. It's quite easy to spot their small and very untidy webs. If you aren't sure what they look like then they are up to an inch long, have browny purple bulbous bodies, with a varying but distinct white pattern on their backs. Not too much of a problem as they are very short sighted and non-aggressive, but if they feel threatened they will bite. :yikes:
Andrew_Z
UKFM Member

Postby cherrybee » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:09 pm

Yike :yikes: I'm just down the road in devon, i dont mind spiders,
but would not like to be bitten by one! will look out for this one now,
thanks for the info ;-)
cherrybee
UKFM Member

Postby Andrew_Z » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:38 am

I just found a field mouse in my garage bird food bin. So I've put it out some seed and water and firmly covered up the bird seed. I rather like mice so tomorrow I think I'll have to make a small mousehole in the garage side door. It won't live long with all the cats and owls round here, but I'm no mouse killer. Different if it was a rat, that would have to go! Meanwhile I've got to buy some mouse food for my new pet. No wonder I've found nests in my garage.
Andrew_Z
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:31 am

To all you birders out there a word of warning.
OH is a keen birder and has taken to feeding the birds in our garden. All was well until we discovered a hole in the top of the plastic bin where he stored the food. At first we thought it was just a crack coming from a pinpoint air hole but then as it got a bit bigger we realised it had been knawed by something.

About 2 months passed then one day I went into the garage where it is kept and disturbed a small mouse . One mouse is fine but very soon I began to suspect that we had more than one, there was rustling in the roof which I was told were the sparrows nesting but my mouse sense didn't really believe that. Our garage is an integral part of the house and by this stage I was totally convinced that we had a few furry visitors. A few nights later when up on my nocternal wanderings I was sitting on the sofa when out from behind the fridge came a small furry visitor. It obviously knew its way around and kept under cover of the skirting board until it could get behind the cooker. I wasn't too worried about health issues for us as both are sealed units but enough was enough and War was declared!!

In order to get rid of them I got one of those electronic devices that emits a high frequency sound that is so annoying to rodents. Get rid of them .....I swear ours were attracted to it .....as one day I entered the garage to find 5 of the little furry gentlemen scampering over the device as if they were having a disco. I'm all for nature but finding the first tactic failed I vowed to get rid of them by any means !!

My idea of total warfare did not get much support and the family thought that a humane method was the best way and so having borrowed some catch and release traps from a guy at the local university we started to try and trap the little darlings.
I could go on about this little venture but suffice to say 33 mice later,....yes you read it right 33.. OH was eating his words about the sparrows while I was tearing my hair out ( DD loved bringing them to a local wood to set them free and would give each temporary captive a name)
Being brought up on the old adage that for every 1 mouse you see there are 3 or 4 more lurking in the wings I was now at my wits end and did the unthinkable ..I bought poisin . My old gran was convinced that mice need to smell death in order to move and so sacrificing one of thier group should cause all the other to leave. Needless to say Granny seems to have been right track as soon after I dispatched one of thier comrades we caught no more in the live traps . It seems all the rest of our little furry friends had "left the building" .

The moral of this story........make sure all bird food is in well sealed tubs with NO holes as you might just get a little invasion of your own!
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby singingrobin71 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:30 am

Hello & very new here.A bit lost,as still do not understand how to do things ie;cant for the love of me put an avator up...oh help. :-? I'm a bird enthusiast.Have feeders in various parts of our not too big garden.Have two nesting boxes,& for second year running had a pair of Blue Tits nesting.We heard the babies tweeting....but missed their flight as was away for a family funeral.Would love to have known just how many babies they had.Just hope they got the little ones to safety in the countriside.

We now have a small colony of House Sparrows at bottom of garden.Had to put bird table away in April to stop the garden being filled with dozens of starling babies.I had over 50 Starlings one year in our garden,we took pics.& counted them.....soo must keep starlings down to a minimum. :roll:

It has been a joy to watch their antics....but now its a quiet patch as they go on their holidays...before we find them returning in mid October,where I shall have bird table out again with my daily bird cake I make up everynight. :lol:

Hope to be able to join in another day.On late as poor sleeper...so typical of anyone with FM.
try to keep positive,don't forget a smile.
singingrobin71
UKFM Member

Postby singingrobin71 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:31 pm

Well as you can now see ...I have an a lovely baby robin with a flower on his head!!Not down to me,I cannot understand how to do this partof getting pic. on :crazy: :crazy: Unfortunatly in trying to get avator a little bigger than the first attempt at 2am in the morning....hubby knocked my coffee over...ahhhhhh....allover desk top :yikes: & we spent next half hour mopping up the mess.....fortunately it missed key board& anything vital to computer......ohhh my what a mess....3am crawling under the desk to get coffee off wallpaper & carpet,without knocking onesself silly under the desk.

I really empathise over feeding these little probably woodmice,we had the same problem....multiplying sweet little mice.It got out of control & was invading next doors garage with dire consequences...he killed 33 mice.....so though they are lovely breeding is very fast.

Have a lovely bird recipe for food on bird table if anyones interested....it brings in so many birds in the winter. :-D :-D must go Friday is shopping day.....hate it. :-?
singingrobin71
UKFM Member

Postby cherrybee » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:02 pm

Hi Robin, love the pic, just put up more feeders in the garden, we have
a couple of pigeons visit every day. last week happened to look out of the
kitchen window and on the rooftop at the bottom of our garden was a
heron, silhoutted against a dark sky, looked absalutely awseome, tried to
take a pic, bit too far away, highlight of the day tho :-)
cherrybee
UKFM Member

Postby singingrobin71 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:14 pm

Hi cherrybee...yes just twice in Bournemouth I have seen a Heron flying over & alighting on a neighbours rooftop...as you said it is an awsom & fantastic sight to see.I reckon here...he was looking for gardens that might contain a pond & fish!!
He is a dear little robin isn't he...very funny with the flower on his head.Hee hee.Ihad to get hubby to get avator up....oh what a mess when coffee was knocked over.!! :yikes: :nono:
singingrobin71
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:36 am

Im a bird watcher, my blue budgie :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hes a large boy and loves his mirrors , am sure he thinks its a lady friend as he sits by them all the time singing and kissing the mirrors :lol:

I did have 2 but sadly the young new one i got for company ended up tryin to be dominent and poor petey went without food, his toys and was bullied so i had to rehome him. :(

Petey likes to sing to the other birds outside. In fact i get alot of birds sitting outside. Petey is such a character and is so big when he jumps from his perches he can fall :facepalm: he loves to fly round the room, loves a but of lettuce oh and his sparkly ball especially when sun refelcts on it.

He loved the olympics with all the crowed cheering and loved the bell when the athletes when round for there last lap he sat on his cage watching :lol: :lol:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby cherrybee » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:51 pm

Hi Robin, I think you are right about the fish pond, we have a very
small one tucked away in our rockery, its amazing the fish survive,
but they seem to thrive, dont think Mr Heron spotted it :-) watching
birds is very relaxing, have 3 bird baths, and they are enjoying
splashing about and keeping cool!
Lisa little Petey sounds great company, used to have a cockatiel
called Percy, :chicken-dance: he was a real character!
cherrybee
UKFM Member

Postby singingrobin71 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:01 am

Thought you might like to see this,our local paper has a poets corner.My neighbour cut it out for me,as I love birds. :-D
Called.....Battle of wits.!

I thought I'd feed the little birds,as they all watched in glee
So I filled the feeder up with nuts & hung it on a tree
But next day when I visited the place to have a look
I discovered that the feeder had been taken off the hook.

I searched through shrubs & bushes ,going round & round
Until at last I saw it,lying on the ground
The clip had just been taken off,the lid was on the floor
The feeder was quite empty ,when it had been full before.

I filled it up,replaced the lid & then put back the pin,
Bending it & forcing it to keep the damned thing in.
Then,satisfied I went away with much more peace of mind
But when I went next morning I was quite upset to find

The pin was out,the lid was off;It seemed I'd failed again
So I just stood there cursing in the pouring rain
Then,after giving it much thought I threw away the pin.
I replaced it with a nut & bolt &screwed it tightly in

I visited again next day & found to , my delight
The nut & bolt were still intact;Oh what a lovely sight
I had to boast of my success to my neighbour,Tommy Tanner
Who promised he would keep a watch for a squirrel with a spanner!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Poem by a Roy Hobbs from Christchurch.
singingrobin71
UKFM Member

PreviousNext

Return to Positive and Fun