Any other bird watchers here?

Rib ticklers, hobbies and things to do on a rainy day!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Any other bird watchers here?

Postby cherrybee » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:43 pm

Not a day to get the washing dry here today :( was sat looking out of my friends
patio doors today, and a bloomin great big magpie landed right in front of me :yikes:
I'm a lickle bit superstitious, dont like seeing one on his own, so keeping
:fingerscrossed:
cherrybee
UKFM Member

Postby Flash » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:48 pm

Ha! Just found my way here, glad I did. I live on the outskirts of town, fields just 1 minute walk. So I don't have to go far, woods very near too. I see so many different types of birds. I go to a private woodland, no one else allowed so no disturbances. The birds get real close. Nuthatches, tree creepers, yellow hammers, woodpeckers, buzzards over head it's fantastic!

When I can't get out, I still have plenty of visitors. My cherry tree is always a favouite with goldfinches, sparrows, tits etc. I have a blackbird family visit every day to use the facilities, bath for the adults, kiddies pool and play area, plenty of fresh food and even top rate security. :dogchasecat1:

I had to laugh a while ago. 4 female black birds laid out, wings out stretched, sun bathing on the grass. A girls day out, munching on cherries, having a splash and chilling out, not a care in the world.

I have a wild patch in my garden especially for birds, bugs and butterflies. Much appreciated it seems.
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby cherrybee » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:05 pm

Hi Flash, sounds a great place to live! imagine having your
own private woodland :-) luv the idea of the wild flowers,
put up another nesting box today, hoping to add a few more, and
would be interested in the birdfood recipe robin if you are still
around.
cherrybee
UKFM Member

Postby Flash » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:00 am

Hi cherrybee, yes, it's great being so close to the countryside. I used to visit the woods when I was a kid, went everywhere back then, I knew no boundries. The big estate house was bought a few years ago so I asked if I could still go to the woods. The owner said he was turning it into a sanctuary to stop deer and foxes being shot and to protect the badgers.

After a good chat and explaining why I go there, he agreed I could carry on but not take anyone with me.
Because no one goes there, it really is wild. I know who nests where and the best places to sit for close encounters with wild life. :squirrel_nut: I hope I can keep up with the walks there because I would miss it if I can't.

My wild patch is left to nature, nothing has been planted. It changes constantly, I let the nettles grow especially for the Red Admiral butterflies. My nieghbour used to complain but is now facinated at what grows and the life it sustains. Birds love hiding in it as it's too thick for cats now. I just have it topped at the end of each summer.
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:12 am

Hi Flash ,
If you want your wild life patch to really flourish try cutting the grass/nettles etc back once a year rather than just topping it but make sure any flowers have seeded before doing it. That way you reduce the nutrients returning to the soil and so you should get a more diverse "meadow" with better food plants for wildlife. If you want to give it a helping hand your local county Wildlife Trust or BTCV should be able to help out with wildflower seeds that our local to your area. Don't use shop bought packets as they do not often take into account local conditions and could also have flowers seeds not found in your region.

If you put fertilizer on other parts of the garden try not to let any spread to your wildlife patch as that will also cause enrichment.

Glad you are still able to get out and about in your local woodland nothing better to raise the spirits.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Flash » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:44 pm

Hi Iceskatemum, thanks for that. Yes that is what I do, chop it back every year, well, a friend does it now, with a hand scythe, I don't plant anything there, I don't have to. allsorts have come up of thier own accord. It really is facinating. I won't add to it as there are enough natural varieties already.

I have bumble bees nesting in a corner and frogs visit on the way to nieghbours pond. Sloworms and newts also, hence the careful cutting. Birds love it. Nothing gets added and yes, when I use manure, it's far enough away not to be a problem and my veg patch is raised. I grow native wild flowers further down my garden with my herbs as I use both for natural health.

You can't knock natures gifts can you? It's worth getting up to every morning. Good to know there are a few well honed nature lovers out there... :flowers:
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:56 am

Hi Flash , Sorry if it seemed I was trying to tell you what to do :oops: :oops: seems you have it all sorted and some. :-D :-D

Your garden must be alive with the sound of the bumblebees and to get newts and slow worms... well hats off, mine humble little patch is a long way behind but I guess every little helps.

Don't grow any natural remedies myself but do use them from time to time , lots of people seems to have at least arnica in thier first aid box now.
Any thoughts for a natural remedy that can help ease FM aches and pains, the most I do is use geranium and lavender in a warm bath to calm and relax me ?

Happy gardening
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Flash » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:38 am

No, no, iceskatemum. We don.'t know everyones knowledge on here till we test the ground. All advice is accepted wether already used or not. It just emphasises what you're doing. It's always nice to know someone else has the same and other ideas.

Sloworms are in abundance where I live so no surprise that they visit. It is nice that they camp in my garden though, the babies are sooooo cute! I don't see the newts much, just nice knowing they're there. The Comfrey is especially for the Bumbles, they love it. All types of bee cover it every year. To think I was going to thin it out!! :nono:

Your garden will take off, just let nature take it's course. And yes, everything counts where little beasties are concerned.

As for natural remedies, you can't get a better bath than that...Oooh! I can't get in mine, well, it's the getting out I can't do..

You can't beat chamomile tea with honey for a calming night time drink, it's the safest, easy to get and most commonly used so it's o.K to mention it I guess. I think it's worth anyone looking into natural remedies, with caution of course and always with a pharmacists knowledge if taken internally as some can have an effect on other medication.

Take care, happy gardening to you too.. :squirrel_nut:
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:02 am

Thanks Flash for reassurance sometimes I re read my posts and think they sound very bossy, I guess its a lack of confidence in myself, yet another change brought about by this horrid condition.

Getting in the bath is ok but it is a special treat as can only do it when OH is home ......he needs an industrial fork lift to help me out :lol: :lol:

Have been having really bad sleep lately so will try the camomile with honey - although not a honey fan until I recently, when I tried some home made honey from the hive of friend. It tasted so different from shop bought. She is lucky to have her own bees , chickens and a veggie patch so is almost living the good life. ( need a lottery win and a change of house before I could do that!)

Hope this break in the weather is helping you get the garden ship shape for Autumn /Winter. Look forward to hearing more tales from your woodlands .

:hugs:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby singingrobin71 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:23 pm

Hi there back again....your gardens sound sooo lovely.At the moment its quite quiet...young Robin tic tic ticking,down bottom of garden where we are trying to get pyrocantha growing into a hedge,as fed up with replacing fences...they don't seem to last long.Also have a strawberry bush,vibernam & other bushes,& honysuckle(not looking too good though).All has helped to bring vaious species of bird into garden.Saw briefly a Coal tit on one of my feeders,they will be on cursary visits to see if food is going to be out for the winter.

Cherrybee...here's my bird cake recipe passed on by my late sister.I use an icecream box,with lid,so as to be able to have it made up the night before...you need....
Rough porridge oats(about a small cupful.),soak overnight cheapest currants about a small cupful (greek ones in package at Sainsburys.)Mixed husk free seed(more birds can enjoy this seed)& no mess.!A generous chunk of mild cheap cheese grated.
grind up some peanuts..about half a cup.Then to bind it a bit,either use a block of Beef or pork(lard)just a small wedge,melted,& mixed into mixture.Its then ready in my box to put out on bird table in morning,as soon as possible,as birds need warming up.I've got a single egg poacher that I use the base to melt the fat in.I found that trying to melt a small amount of fat in a microwave was very messy,& you don't want a large saucepan either to melt a small amount of fat.....oh ..add cheese After..you have mixed in fat,otherwise it half melts cheese into lumps,& then won't mix into dry ingredients. :-) The birds love it,,& it brings in many different species

Incidentally...long tailed tits are now visiting birdtables more often...Why....THEY LOVE GRATED CHEESE!!! :-D :-D & also are now partial to the square fat blocks,& or your fat balls..arn't they a joy to watch if they do visit your garden.? :-D :-D peeping to each other continually...great family minded birds.Good feeding !!

Hope you like this mixture cherrybee....the birds will love you. :-D
try to keep positive,don't forget a smile.
singingrobin71
UKFM Member

Postby cherrybee » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:53 pm

Hi Robin, thanks for the recipe :-D , think the birds will have a fight for the cheese,
as my doggy loves it too...lol.. happy bird watching to you, by the way have also
4 chickens to feed now...any tips ? lol ..tk care
:chicken-dance:
cherrybee
UKFM Member

Postby singingrobin71 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:32 pm

Oooh not on chuck chooks :chicken-dance: ...remember as a child mum used to save all potato peelings,boil them in a saucepan,& add other scraps,can't remember what...then we had to fight back with a broom,a very agressive bantom cockeral,& literally throw the food in the cage,in a container ,& get back fast,slam gate shutt...god he was evil!!

Birds are now coming in,& on bird table with my mixture...its pecked clean...will pop out & put some4 more on table.goody they are now coming back. :-D :-D
singingrobin71
UKFM Member

Postby singingrobin71 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:04 am

Wonder if Cherrybee & other bird watchers are about.Havn't been on for a while,lots happening,plus health problems.Had one of the best days in the garden today with visitors who come in briefly.Delighted to see the return of a Black cap,& it made its way up the garden near to the house to pick up some bird food I'd put there.Such a joy to see so close...wonder if in the spring his mate will appear,the female has a lovely copper head...very pretty..2 yrs ago she came in to join the black cap(warbler...largest of the warbler birds)...then followed a large family of long tailed tits,they are so beautiful,& they flit about all over the the garden,peeping to each other,& mingled with them was 4 blue tits.
Finally a Song Thrush appeared,rarely see them....soo my cup runneth over today,it was such a wonderful sight... :-D :-D
What about some of you other nature lovers?? :-)
singingrobin71
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Positive and Fun