[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Advice please - could I join a CEROC class

Advice please - could I join a CEROC class

Rib ticklers, hobbies and things to do on a rainy day!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Advice please - could I join a CEROC class

Postby velvet » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:13 pm

Hi everyone

My apologies for not being around for ages - a combination of still trying to do as much stuff as possible and short concentration span.

I have been doing quite well - whether its the fibro backing off a bit or I am getting better at control I have recently found myself able to extend myself a bit physically. I have been walking a bit further and more often without feeling any worse, and generally feeling slightly more energy without pain worsening.

On Saturday night I went to a friends birthday disco and for the first time in years was unable to resist getting up and dancing a couple of times. It was fun and felt good even with the knowledge of the consequences. So Sunday morning was not so fun and rather painful (fibro understatement there lol) and I am still slightly stiff from it today but I can live with it.

The whole thing has left me wondering about whether I could risk visiting a CEROC class runs in my local town. I have always loved to dance (dont claim to be any good but cant help moving to the music). I know you dont have to book a whole course or anything but can just turn up as and when so no pressure of commitment but I am worried by how much is involved and what could happen - I most definitely do not want to put myself into a serious flare up (or pull muscles, strain an unstable knee joint lol)

Does anyone have any experience of CEROC? How does it affect the fibro or how does the fibro affect it? Is it worth giving it a try? Any advice would be appreciated.
NEW
velvet
UKFM Regular

Re: Advice please - could I join a CEROC class

Postby denys » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:15 pm

Hi Velvet lovely to hear from you again and glad to hear you are doing OK :-D :-D :-D :-D why not try it :?: :?: :?: :?: maybe go and watch and see if you are able to take part even if its just parts of it. If you enjoy dancing and are able to (even just for short periods) then why not, its exercise, it reduces your stress cos you enjoy it and it gets you out and about.

As long as you are able to rest when you need to and dont do too much all at once I say go for it and :goodluck1: I hope you enjoy it :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby velvet » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:47 pm

Hi denys and thanks.

I guess its kind of scary - but I will see if I can find a mate to go with me (no chance whatsoever of my OH doing it lol). I am also kind of worried that this improvement is temporary but I will make hay while the sun shines. Will try and report back as well lol.
NEW
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:04 am

HI velvet

I agree with denys, it's something you enjoy doing so why not give it a go. You may find that after a few classes the pain isn't so bad and it is a great form of exercise.

GP's often stress the importance of doing some form of exercise in FM sufferers though I know a lot of people on here suffer with their FM really badly and can't do very much.

If I was you I would give it a go for a few weeks, as you said there is no commitment so you can turn up when you feel up to it, keep your painkillers handy and take it easy the day after.

Good luck I have my :fingerscrossed: for you
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:51 am

Go for it & good luck.
you can always back out if it doesn't work out. What's
CEROC if you don't mind me asking, I'm obviously not up on the latest dance craze :-D
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:22 am

Hope to hear some really positive feedback Velvet and as you say if its temporary then make the most of it while you can :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby velvet » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:55 am

NEW
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby velvet » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:21 pm

Well (as per normal it seems) life has causes me to swerve sharply. I am still intending to do the CEROC thing but have had some serious opportunities come up so it has had to drop down the list slightly (I am not expecting it to lead to earning money eventually lol). However I have got myself a bicycle (sort of) I have 2 teenagers who do paper rounds and seem to have problems with their bikes every other day so I picked up a cheap on on ebay to act as a spare. Then decided to give it a try myself. Having not ridden a bike in over 20 years it wasnt particularly pretty but....
Day 1 I travelled about 20 meters in a very wobbly manner.
Day 2 I managed about 150 meters nearly to the park at the end of our street and back.
Day 3 I took a friend to the seaside fishing for his birthday so no cycling
Day 4 (today) I made it all the way up to the park and did one circuit and back home so about 400 meters - although I did have to stop a couple of times (I never realized that park has a slope lol)

So having got rid of the pictures of cycling miles from my head I am actually reasonably happy - my next target it to manage a circuit of the park and home without the stops. I will try and build up slowly and see if I can get to a point I can go out for a ride with my sons (after driving us all to somewhere flat lol - there are some very steep hills around my home) and again I will try and keep everyone updated.
NEW
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:14 am

Well done Velvet!

That's fantastic news and it sounds like you are really enjoying your new found hobby, plus being out in the fresh air will really help too. It's wise to build up slowly as you go along just like you are.

:goodluck2: with your circuit!

Take Care
xx
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby velvet » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:51 am

It kind of leaves me in 2 minds - one part of me is chuffed I am riding a bike and its not affecting general pain levels (other than while actually riding and immediately afterwards) while another part of me is thinking how pathetic that I cannot manage 400 meters without having to stop.

I am also scared that I will find my tolerance does not improve - that I will only ever be able to do 400 meters with a stop. Sort of scared to try in case it fails which is bad. Still I will keep working at it and hope I do improve.
NEW
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:46 pm

I know what you mean Velvet.

I used to go to the gym for 2-3 hours 4 times a week and could have done more if I had the time lol. Now though just a 5 minute walk leaves me panting, in pain and needing a nap lol. It did get me down at first thinking of all I could used to do to what I can do now but I try and see it as an achievement.

When FM first reared it's ugly head I had to stop all gym exercise and wasn't even well enough for walks let alone anything else. It's taken me a year to build myself up again to being able to go for a walk, do my stretches (similar to those you see on work out dvd's in the warm up section) and sometimes even sit ups! My routine is not very long or streneous but it is something I have built up myself and achieved so I guess it is something to be proud of.

So you should feel proud of what you have acheived so far and if that is all you can do then so be it, at least you are trying and you are out there which is such a positive thing.

So don't beat yourself up if you can't do much more or any more than you have been, it could take weeks or months to build up but if you can't then be proud of what you have achieved. Personally I think being able to ride a bike after so long is fantastic, I doubt I'd look very elegant on one lol.
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby velvet » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:26 pm

Cheers guys. I think thats the thing with fibro - at the bottom you have to work it out yourself and not measure yourself against others. A year ago I would not even have attempted to ride a bike - now I am giving it a go. I wish I could put my finger on why I felt better so I could tell others for sure - as it is I can say I have been taking magnesium and vitamin b supplements - ordinary ones from Tesco, and using a SAD light over winter. It might be those it might not but if anyone is looking for things to try then they wont do any harm.
NEW
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:18 am

I'm taking magnesium/calcium and vitamin D supplements too Velvet and started them about 3 weeks ago. Though I don't feel any noticeable difference with my pain levels I have noticed the fatigue has eased off a bit.
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby velvet » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:49 pm

Finally managed to get energy, organization and courage together to attend my first class tonight. It was not as physical as I expected but was far more mental work - I have done nothing other than standard night club attendance before and the sort of "instinctive" moves I have always made are having to be unlearned at the same time as trying to remember the order of 4 or 5 movements that make up a step. I found I was able to do the 45 minute beginners class then sat out the 10 minute freestyle before managing 10 minutes of beginners practice before I had to sit down again.

Touch wood over all I am still feeling the extra energy that I started this thread with so I am hoping its not too flash in the pan (I can still over do things if I am not careful). I wont be able to go back to the class for a couple of weeks as I have other things on but will return in 3 weeks and see what happens - it was over all enjoyable.
NEW
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby whoami » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:30 am

Velvet...I am reasonably new here.

Good for you taking the step to ride your bike and then the classes. I like your enthusiasm. Try to keep thinking positive. If you dwell on what might be down the road you will not enjoy what is going on in your life right now.

Keep enjoying the classes when you can. If you have a bit of a set back from over extending it then take a day or two then carry on again.

Always remember you are in control of the fibro. You are not fibro. Congratulations on your accomplishments!
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to Positive and Fun