what sort of wood

Rib ticklers, hobbies and things to do on a rainy day!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

what sort of wood

Postby jason25 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:39 pm

hi all got a question i nearly got my garage mad into a workshop just need to get a work desk and its done but my first project is fgoing to be making a 7ft by 2ft wardrobe and nead some wood to get started but im not sure what sort of wood would be strong enouth to hold my gf storage boxes cause i dont want to make it and then she puts them on it and it breacks just be my luck so anyone any idea what wood would be strong enough to hold it? just wondering if anyone have any ideas i asked my gf and she said chipbored wood ............. u can imagin what i said to that .... silly bagger lol ......had to edit this had mistyped the wood my gf said .... now im the silly bagger
Last edited by jason25 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jason25
UKFM Member

Re: what sort of wood

Postby fletch » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:50 pm

I used pine boards there not cheap but strong and will last a life time http://www.diy.com/nav/build/timber/she ... ure-boards
fletch
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:43 pm

I am not a carpenter, only a carpenters wife, LOL I would suggest a hard wood. Pine is good but a soft wood. Stay away from anything that is processed such as MDF . MDF is very strong but being a garage I am concerned about moisture.
You could build the frame with hardwood and use 3/4 " plywood for the shelves. (Is this a fancy workshop or a working workshop, LOL). Just remember to use screws. You would be surprised how many people build with nails and wonder why things fall apart. I hope I helped, if not, try not to be too harsh!
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby jason25 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:20 am

ACTURLY THAT DID HELP SORRY TOOK SO LONG TO REPLY HAD A BAD COUPLE OF WEEKS FINALLY HAVING A GOOD DAY/NIGHT sorry bloody caps anyway i checked it out and u are very helpful thats exatly what im doing got 3 4ft by 8 ft hardwood sheets coming to me now and 3 3/4 pine woods sheets coming with it got all the screws sorted just waiting for my angle grinder to be delived and i can get started and its only a begginers workshop until i can get the cupbord sorted then need to make a storage area for tools on the wall and get all the rest of little odd jobs done but anyway do u have any ideas for doors on the cupbord got the fittings just not sure what wood to order for that.......sorry if i mispelled anything heads finnally getting back together after two weeks of hell
jason25
UKFM Member

Return to Positive and Fun