[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Ice skating - so happy

Ice skating - so happy

Rib ticklers, hobbies and things to do on a rainy day!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Ice skating - so happy

Postby SchroedingersCat » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:17 pm

Last night I went ice skating at an outdoor ice rink with the OH’s team from work. It was blowing an honest-to-goodness gale and throwing it down, but about 10 of us decided to brave it, and I’m so glad I did.

A little background – as a teenager, I spent 6-8 hours a week at our local indoor ice rink. I made a lot of friends through it, it was as big a part of my life as the local rock and indie scene were till I moved away to go to Uni. I only threw my ice hockey boots away last year, as the leather was finally turning to dust – they were bought in about 1979, I think.

I wasn’t too excited about going last night, as I was concerned about getting cold and tired (FM black-dogs my thinking a lot), and also most rinks I have been to in the past (including this one) hire out figure skates, and I can’t skate on them – the toe pick is a right bagger when you learned to skate on hockey boots. So imagine my joy when we turn up and find that the rink now hire out hockey boots. I put mine on and find I can still walk in them, which is pretty good since the last time I skated was about 15 years ago. I wobble onto the ice and spend a while finding my feet. After about 10 minutes, it’s all coming back to me. By the time the group decided they were tired of being wet, cold and blown about (which was after about 35-40 minutes I think), I was whizzing round the ice like the old days, no longer worrying about falling over or the fact that my gloves and my outer clothes were completely soaked. We went on to some expensive trendy bar and had an average dinner, but by that point I was literally skating on air. For about half an hour, I forgot about FM, forgot about the wind and driving rain, forgot that I was probably going to pay for this for days afterwards, and just skated, the sheer joy of rediscovering my old passion just wiped the slate clean, and I discovered that my 48 year old body could still do the things my 13 year old one could. It was almost a spiritual experience. I could have cried tears of sheer joy.

And the best part? I don’t feel any worse today than I do on any old day of the week.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Re: Ice skating - so happy

Postby whoami » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:48 pm

Good for you! This outing did just as much for you mentally as physically. When are you going again?

Living in Canada and raising a hockey player and figure skater, most of our evenings and at least 12 hours a weekend not counting travel time, would be spent at the arena's. This is the norm for most Canadian families, LOL

Our grandchildren started skating lessons at 4 and they were playing on hockey teams at 5, even the girls. The one grandson is on the ice at 6 in the morning for an hour, then goes to school. He is home at 4 and then on the ice again at 5 until 6. Our 36 year old daughter still skates on a precision team. When you live here your winter social life revolves around an arena. LOL
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby SchroedingersCat » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:24 pm

Sadly the rink is a temporary fixture and closes in 10 days, but I have just found out that there is still one in another local city, I thought it had closed down years ago! And a new pair of skates will cost me about £50 (I only need a basic cheap pair for the amount I'd be skating). So in a couple of months I will look into doing this more (we're just buying a house so no money or time for the next couple of months), and maybe I can get one more session at the temporary rink before it closes down.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:47 pm

Going again would be so much fun for you and if you don't overdo things it could be great excercise. It is a shame there isn't an arena closer. I have to chuckle because back home every village has a pub. Over here, every village has an arena, LOL

The cost of skates, as well as any sports equipment is expensive and out of reach for some families. I remember the " first " pair of good skates, hand made to fit her feet, that we bought our daughter. It would have been about 24 years ago. They were about £500. They would last her a few years since her feet had fully grown. The blades had to be replaced though. A good pair of hockey skates can run you anywhere from £200 to £500.

Enjoy skating.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby bandj » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:37 pm

I'm so pleased you had such a lovely time, it obviously did you good!

I used to ice skate as a child but I haven't been near a rink in years. I used to love it.

hope you get to skate again soon :lol:
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Return to Positive and Fun