reborn dolls

Rib ticklers, hobbies and things to do on a rainy day!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

reborn dolls

Postby pinksandblues » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:20 pm

Hi ladies wondered if any of you had an interest in reborning or collecting dolls , i have been into antique teddy bears for many years collecting and restoring and have moved into creating reborns , its an absorbing hobby but quite expensive to set up . I am preparing for a show at the weekend in Birmingham , i know its going to be a struggle with exhaustion doing the full day but i dont want to have to stop doing everything that i want to because of feeling ill , trying to stay positive and focus on the day and hopefully make some sales , i probably dont get them made as quick as some do as i have to stop and start depending on whats hurting at the time , if me legs are ok i can stand and paint if there not i can sit and root hair untill my fingers go numb that is :!: :lol: still keep trying , wendy xx
pinksandblues
UKFM Member

Re: reborn dolls

Postby motherelephant » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:34 pm

Sounds really interesting .I have a doll from when i was born ,so she is 52 years old.My sons think she is creepy ,mind you she hardly has any hair left now hahha motherelle x
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby princess » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:56 pm

I have my Susan she is 52 years old, i got her from my granny when i was 5 - she was a super doll - she still has her knitted trouser suit on knitted by my late mum.
She is red haired but i chopped it off when i was little, so just left it and Mum made her a toorie - cap for the English speakers here lol
She has lilac eyes - but her poor skin is yellow now.
But she is loved and my granddaughter says that Susan shes granny's dolly so dont touch - and she gets a cuddle with her, but im afraid she will pull out the eyes as they are just placed in.
I also have a collection of Steiff animals - my friend goes abroad a lot and brings me one back every so often - they are lovely.
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby princess » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:58 pm

Reborn dolls give me the jitters, after watching a programme in america and uk where people treated like real babies - i just was :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: - they have thier place as they are lovely dolls, but they are only dolls. Not a replacement for a baby, well ill get off my soapbox now lol
(no offence to anyone who has one).
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby pinksandblues » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:08 am

Hi ,I used to feel the same way about them myself . I couldnt understand what their purpose was ,when i would go to a bear an doll show people were carrying them round or pushing them in prams :!: i used to walk the other way and avoid them :lol: .
when i got to the stage that i couldnt develope my restoration skills of teddies and further then i started to look on ebay at the reborns from an artistic point of view and was amazed at the standard of some (there were some horrors too :yikes: like bride of chucky :lol: ) but i did feel compelled to have a go , once i started i was hooked ,seeing these dolls /kits come to look so lifelike , there is so much to making them that you need to perfect for me it is an absorbing hobby no more then that , when i feel well enough to do them that is .
I exibited at a show last weekend (still exhasted from that )and had some really great comments on my dolls and that was pleasing , only trouble is they are expensive to make and very few are selling for a realistic price at the moment so until they do its a struggle to keep making them .

Think of them as Marmite dolls "you either luv um or you hate um " :lol:
best wishes wendy x
pinksandblues
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:26 pm

I can see where you are coming from - the programme i saw was an English and AMerican man and wife in both cases and they treated the dolls like kids, pretent feeding, washing, changing clothes, buying clothes and walking around in buggys and prams.
I can see buying a lovely doll and keeping it, that can be a lovely thing to do and i know a few doll collectors, i do not have a problem with these people - but to treat it as a real baby i think is distrurbing - from one who wanted a baby for 10 years and had 6 losses - i was never tempted to buy one of these and live with it as a baby.
Sorry but i just cant get my head around them being used as babies.
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Return to Positive and Fun