Crafts here!!!!

Rib ticklers, hobbies and things to do on a rainy day!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Crafts here!!!!

Postby princess » Mon May 10, 2010 6:24 pm

Dawn Bibby Owl Stamps - 3 set.

Owls
flowers
trees and branches
Just over £10.

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/ ... .UKCO~U380
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby junebenton07 » Wed May 12, 2010 10:26 am

Hi everyone,

Only just come across this. I too do a little knitting and cross-stitch, thats when my hands allow me to.

After reading each and everyone of the posts, its made me feel as if i too would like to have a go at making cards, is this the in thing just lately, as i,ve just found out that my mother does this and also my youngest daughter.

How does a complete beginner get started, what would i need?

Happy crafting ladies,

Best wishes,
June xx :grouphug:
junebenton07
UKFM Member

Postby hamstergirl » Thu May 13, 2010 12:26 pm

Hi June

Well you will need to have the basic tools, like trimmer for straight cuts, some kind of glue for sticking down. I use double sided tape and micro dots but these canbe a bit awkward to use.

Then it depends what you want to do. You can do stamping, decoupage, die cutting, quilling, iris folding or just use peel offs.

I bought a die cutting machine (Can be expensive) which i've now got on ebay because i am finding that i prefer to use cd roms. I did do stamping which i loved but i find the colouring in of images quite painful on my hands/arms. With cds the images are already together you only need to cut them out.

You could get together with your mother and see what she's got and have a go first.

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Thu May 13, 2010 1:03 pm

Hi June

Go onto QVC uk - or www.Createandcraft.tv - you can buy die cut decoupage or toppers and cards. - then all you need is glue and maybe a good pair of scissors.
Thats how i started with a QVC pack and well now i make them all teh time.
If you need any help just pm me ok
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby Jena » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:32 pm

Hello Everyone,

It is so nice to find a crafting thread here, I have gone right back to my roots since my illness and I knit and sew and I have been trying lots of other crafty things too. My family came to Wales from Scotland many years ago and my grandmother was a tailoress and my aunts were all wonderful knitters, I love to knit arrans, and I find that even when my arms are painful it helps me to work through it if I have some knitting on the go. i am not up to the fabulous fairisle my aunts used to do but I manage the arrans well.

I am thinking of opening a small shop selling some crafts that I make and also offering space to some others who do small things as well. I am working on a webshop at the moment. I love the things you are all making those cards are beautiful.

I will post some pictures of my own things soon.

It is lovely to have something to keep us going especially through the long winter days, and now in the summer I am learning about wood and seeing what I can do with that too. :shock:

Have fun everyone.

Jena. :grouphug:
Jena
UKFM Member

Postby bluecath » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:22 pm

Hi, I too am a crafty person lol.
I do knitting, but only baby stuff as i find it difficult to concentrate on bigger things and end up putting them down, and never picking them up again.
I have also done crocheting,lace making, and tatting, but find that hard to do now because it is a bit fiddly.
Both me and my daughter are into making our own cards, and often get asked by friends to commission them special cards. We use all kinds of techniques, stamping, peel offs, cut outs,pop ups,etc . the beauty of working with my daughter is that what i cant manage she helps me out , which is nice. :)
bluecath
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:26 pm

I always wanted to be able to crochet but never could get the hang of it, had to give up knitting, cross stitch etc as arms cant hold anything :( but taking up card making and my friend who's really good at it is going to come in to help me, hope some of her talent rubs off :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby hamstergirl » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:46 am

Hi

I've been knitting since I was 13. It took me then a year to knit a jumper cos I insisted against my mums advice to get 4ply. She wanted me to get Aaron for my first project. It didn't put me off though.

My friends use to go out and I use to say ' I can't I want to finish my jumper'. For me it's the saddest thing i can't do cos of fm. My husband bought me a knitting machine, well actually I've got three. It did help me a lot to pick myself up from being depressed. However, since I've had two children and no spare bedrooms they had to go in the loft. Wish I had a spare room to put them in.

I then took up card making. It's ok, it gives me something to do but as my machines are out of the loft I will go back to knitting.

My grandma taught me to crochet and I use to crochet dolls clothes. She also taught me cross stitch and Tapestry which I also loved. Still got some cross stitch books. I might try and give it a go again, even though my worst pains are in my arms.

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby thecatsmother » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:09 pm

I'm a crafter too. I used to make cards but have stopped as I don't have the energy for it anymore. Same with jewellery making - a short lived interlude :roll:

My main craft now is cross stitch - I've been stitching for years - and I enjoy when my health allows. I'm currently stitching (in secret) a black labrador for my partner and have several other "projects" on the go. I have thousands of skeins of threads and would love to have the time and energy to sort them all out into numerical order. I know - I'm very sad :lol:

Janice
thecatsmother
UKFM Newbie

Postby Tinam » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:15 am

Hi tinam here, i think a craft club is a great idea. i have 60 wedding cards and favour boxes to make for next may. Have to start now because the fm makes it hard to craft for long. alos enjoy crocheting. used to do needle craft but now cant see the holes because i have lost the sight in one eye. i look forward to seeing your designs and will try to post some of my own when i work out how too. :D
Tinam
UKFM Newbie

Postby Quackers » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:03 pm

:wave: Avid crafter here :o
My card-making keeps me sane......ish
My husband dragged me along to Hobbycraft a few moths after I was forced to give up work and it was the best thing he could do for me. I now have my own craftroom in the garage and you name the craft I will have a go at it. My main hobby being card-making though. It is so nice to make a card for someone and feel you have contributed. I also get requests from my family to make special cards for their friends. I feel useful again :)
I am at the moment making the invites for my daughter's wedding. Ok, it has taken my a long time but as long as I have plenty of notice I can do it. In fact there are 65 invites out in my craft room just waiting for the final touches and they will be posted up to her in Scotland this weekend :mrgreen:
I feeel so proud of myself, in fact I would go as far as to say that it is card-making that has stopped me having the depression that often goes hand-in-hand with FM.Something my doctors cannot come to grips with. They just won't accept I am not depressed despite a psychologists report stating that I most definitely not. With my crafting I have a reason to get out of bed and push myself that little bit more.
I am not saying I don't have 'bed days'. They do still happen but having a hobby helps a lot and the friends I have made through it are an added bonus.
I will post a few cards I have made and even some papers I have made a bit later. Love the idea of a craft section :blowkiss:
Quackers
UKFM Member

Postby Quackers » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:27 pm

Just a thought............I do still have them on good days :D
I have a great big craftroom and once my daughter's wedding is over with I will be back to just doing cards for family and friends.
I did make quite a few cards for charity before the wedding things started. Is there anywhere at all that I could, after October, send cards to be made to help with any Fibro charities?
After October I will be well into making Christmas cards, which I love doing, and I know that charities can make a lot of money from them.
I am not fit or mobile enough to sell them myself and my social circle is very limited here as I am not from these parts.
I can however get to the post office on a good day to send them to wherever they might be needed.
Any ideas would be more than welcome

Tinam

I have just finished making my daughter's invites, 60 in all, and the feeling of elation of finishing them was well worth all the effort. The buzz I got is better than any medicine.Ok it took a while but my daughter knew that it would. I still have all the favour boxes to cut out, daughter is going to decorate them, and 20 orders of service to do.

As for designing your own papers etc:- SIMPLES :D . I invested in a computer programme called 3D card builder2. It is a doddle.
I can make decoupage, papers, pyrimage etc all from family photos and you can also make papers with any text you want on them ( for example happy birthday Tinam).
They do have a new one out which is far more versatile, though the one I have is BRILL, and this is being added to Santa's list. You can save the papers back in either their format or onto PDF files. I will try and get my blog on here soon so you can have a look at some of my cards. It is not the best of blogs but you will see how the program can be used.
Quackers
UKFM Member

Postby hamstergirl » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:49 pm

Hi

Could anyone tell me if they have a cricut machine and if they think its worth the money.

I have a sizzix machine but dont know whether to upgrade to this. I only make cards for family and friends so dont actually make any money from making my cards.

Is it easy to operate. Do you waste any card/paper that doesnt cut right.

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby Quackers » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:54 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: I think I did a bit of a mistake :lol: :lol: :lol:
I put my photobucket account in my signature insteaad of my blog but there are a load of cards there too. It really needs updating though. As for my blog..........it is a mess. I was changing it around, got too tired and had to leave it.
Will post address when I have sorted and updated it :roll: :lol:
Quackers
UKFM Member

Postby Quackers » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:45 am

I am not a great lover of Create and Craft :twisted:
Had a few bad experiences :evil: :twisted:
But tonight I could not resist the Deal of the Week 3 :D
3 Debbie Moore Christmas Cds and 40 sheets of different papers for £19.99 :clap: :clap:

I LOVE Debbie Moore things and have several of her Cds but the Flapper type ones are WOW!
These 3 Christmas Cds are all flapper girl ones and I cannot wait to get them in the post :D :D
I just hope that C&C's customer service has improved since the last time I ordered :cry:
I will keep you all informed
Quackers
UKFM Member

PreviousNext

Return to Positive and Fun