[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Today I am reading....................

Today I am reading....................

Rib ticklers, hobbies and things to do on a rainy day!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Today I am reading....................

Postby tireesix » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:07 am

Strangers by Dean Koontz, just started having just finished Jonathan Kellermans 'bad love'. I enjoy both authors, I find Kellerman to easy reading which is good for the fibro fog although I still have a lot of issues, even with the really easy books, forgetting plots, characters etc. I find there is nothing worse than thinking 'wait a minute, who is that again'???????????

Strangers seems to be a chunky book with tiny writing so hopefully it will take a while.

Ian Irvine is a good author, LOVE his books and has anyone read Jean Aeuls 'Earths Children' series??????

I love reading.............................

I have read some of the lady authors crime novels and I am not knocking all of them (some of the guy authors are a bit rubbish but not necessarily in the way I am going to describe). Ok, s you got this crime, BIG, hunky detective comes in, smouldering eyes, bit of a bad boy, doesn't like to get caught up in a woman because hes been burned before or his wife died or she took the dog in the divorce or she turned out to be some looney maniac or some such thing. Beautiful lady with shapely long legs, tiny waste and big eyes turns up as either a potential victim or is a police consultant who ends up being a target or some such thing and she doesn't want to get involved with a man because she thinks she doesn't want a relationship or because her ex beat her or she was assaulted or her ex took the dog in the divorce or her husband died some awful death at the hands of a rabid moose............... Said detective a leggy woman get friendly, then they ate each other, then they love each other, then they hate each other and then either something bad happens while they hate each other and while she is being imprisoned in some awful place they sudden;y realise they love each other and oh, what a guy, he rescues her OR they love each other again and then something bad happens to her and oh, what a guy, he rescues her.

I hate above scenario, Why can't the leggy woman rescue the hunky guy? Why can't they simply be 'just friends'? Why can't we have an emotionally stable detective with an emotionally stable leggy woman (which is what I like about Kellerman actually, long term relationship with the ups and downs you would expect in a relationship (I am talking about Alex Delaware and the love of his life Robin Castagne and they are friends with the gay detective Milo Sturgis who is in a relationship with an ER Doc called Rick). I dunno, its not that I want boring or anything but I just get a bit tired of the hunky detective, leggy woman, emotional baggage etc and it seems to be female authors (IMHO) who seem to be the perpetrators of this (the most anyway).

Anyway, given my love of reading, I figured each time I start a new book and finish an old book, I would share it with you lot........... I don't get to talk to anyone around here much about books so I figured I would talk to you lot instead!!!!!!!!!

Happy reading, happy dreaming!!!!!

PS I am going to write my own book, I intend to start this year but I am still thinking about how the whole thing will work out.
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Re: Today I am reading....................

Postby budda » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:14 am

I used to read books, cant do it now, :goodluck1: with writing your own book.
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby nutty1 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:01 am

:wave: ,you used love reading books ,but my mind wanders :? fibrofog interferes ,struggling today read your post :yikes: but its good you decided post :clap: you could start book club .wi;ll come back and rewad your post again :?
nutty1
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:21 pm

I love reading too I like both the kellermans him and her but not the son!! John Connelly is brill with Angel and the enigmatic Louis plus the lonely private detictive, fibrofog cant remember his name and too tired to go downstairs to see!! Michael Connelly and Jeffery Deaver are another two. Stephen Booth I like because its in this country, but sometimes the characters act a bit wet easy read though

Lee Child, John Grisham I love and for a laugh Janet Evanovich, now that is 2 hunky guys shes a bounty hunter but she's rubbish at it and has to keep being rescued by Ranger and then there's her regular on off boyfriend the policeman its hilarious really simple read that even the fog doesnt affect, because the plot is so ridiculous you can lose it and pick it up again later :clap: :clap: Strongly recommend her if you just need a good laugh and a :facepalm: :facepalm: cos its so stupid :hugs: :flowers: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:12 pm

I used to be an avid reader, but struggle to concentrate with it these days. Don't laugh, the last book I managed to finish was A Simples Life: The Life and Times of Aleksandr Orlov and that took me almost 2 weeks to get thru :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: Made me smile tho :D :D

OH is the big reader in the house, he's got shelves full of Stephen King, Koontz, James Herbert, Jeffrey Deaver, plus lots of other random books as well :dunno: :dunno: He's read Strangers and enjoyed it, but wouldn't tell me anything about it in case I spoilt the story for you Katie :yikes: :yikes:

I keep trying to start reading again, but it just seems to get more frustrating as I struggle to get thru even 1 page at times :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Oh well, might manage to do it one day :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby nutty1 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:02 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: the simples life .rofl :lol: :lol: but know what you mean bout struggling . :facepalm:
nutty1
UKFM Regular

Postby tireesix » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:40 pm

I guess I am quite lucky in a way, I literally pick up a book and read, I read on the school run, I read while cooking, I just keep reading. If I have to put the book down then I have to go back a ways to pick it up again. There are times I cannot read at all but I have found that if its the only thing I do, I can kinda keep up with it, I mean and it does sound odd, but I simply can't keep track of my fave tv programmes now and they are usually only on for an hour at a time, I simply cannot sit still enough for it, I can't get comfortable, I am constantly shifting and my brain wanders. I can't really play computer games now, same problems, but books, it doesn't matter if I shift around, I mean, considering the majority of my spare time is spent in bed, there isn't much else to do lololol.

THE main thing for me though is escapism, I take the antidepressants etc but the only thing that really helps now is escaping into a book (I would go so far as to say its almost an obsession because I actually panic if I don't have a new read, each week I buy 8 new books from the charity shop (up to 8, I know it sounds a bit much but I can get through an easy read in less than a day, Bad Love took about 24 hours but when you consider the fact that I have a lot of spare time, it makes it easier to see, I was also brought up by a reader, we read fast, in fact, I read slower these days than I used too but am still considered a fast reader)). Up in my room there are 3 things to do, listen to the radio (I only listen to BBC world service because I find music stations weird, not really into pop or classical, really, I can only listen to certain tunes because otherwise it does my head in, I can't tolerate a lot of music now), read and do sudoku or is suduko???? Anyway, I do something beginning with S that involves numbers (but that gets weird as well, I shall give you a laugh in fact.............. With Suduko/sudoku, if I start a puzzle and get called away to deal with the baby/dinner whatever, then I cannot go back to the puzzle even if I rub it out to start again, not only that, but I cannot do the rest of the puzzles on that page or the facing page and have to turn over to a brand new clear 2 pages (lolol). If I get a puzzle wrong, same thing happens and I have to start over on a fresh set of pages. Just a bit mental ok???? At least I have stopped avoiding walking on three drains and jumping in peoples way in order to walk on the two drains, I just find that the numbers and memories of the puzzle I did get in the way, its a bit weird, it feels LOUD so I have to go to a quiet page.

jeez, I must come across as bonkers, if I am honest, I feel somewhat bonkers, in a lot of ways, I am not as OBVIOUSLY bonkers but I have a lot of private bonkers things. I did a post ages ago about hair (oh, I forgot to mention I shaved my head a couple of weeks ago, completely, I had this gorgeous, shoulder length blonde hair and I had just washed it but I was feeling pretty down because a)I couldn't brush it every day and it was ending up so tangled and b) I couldn't wash it but once a week at most and I was sick of having greasy, tangled hair (obviously this is due to pain/fatigue), so having just washed it, I walked into my room, got the husbands clippers out and took it all off................. Anyway, this post was about hair, hair on my legs feels itchy all the time, I am not so bothered by hair elsewhere but it depends how sensitive and burny my skin is. Anyway, I shave my legs, have too, can't use wax because it rips my skin and so far, ALL hair removal creams burn, so I have to shave, but then, I get loads of ingrowing hairs and itchiness and stuff so I take my tweezers to my legs and end up with these scabby legs (ok, looking really good now right???). But nothing else deals with the nasty itchiness, honestly, if its not the itchiness its the burniness and I don't know which is worse and I hate hairy legs anyway and loads of us with EDS also seem to suffer overly with ingrowing hairs as well.............. Nightmare. So yeah, resident nutter here, I go all OCD over reading and sudoku/suduko whatever it is, have weird hair issues, strange impulses, a thing for pads and pens (it is so hard for me to not buy pens and writing pads, I literally had just £20 to last the family a few days and what do I do???? I spend £4 on writing pads???? What an idiot and then if that wasn't bad enough, I panicked about lack of reading material and spent £3 on second hand books).

There are other things as well............. But then, I guess when you are banned from working and have a lot of time on your hands you kinda develop weird habits, right????? (Someone, please stand up and admit to weird habits................).

Anyway, a book club sounds good. I appreciate that not all of us can read which probably makes it even better because those of us who are still able to some degree or another can write down reviews and maybe, someone who has found reading difficult will see a review about a book that appeals to them and is kinda easily readable IYSWIM??????? Maybe make rules about not revealing plot but some how get across the readability, whether it was an enjoyable read, would you recommend it, that kinda thing.

I better shoot before I reveal even more about myself on line lolol, perfect target for a weird stalker (which, believe it or not I have had, she ended up sectioned thank god cos she was a bit nuts.................).
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Postby tireesix » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:36 pm

Ok, so I read Strangers, I did like it but it wasn't the usual pace that Koontz uses. It took me a while (about 3 days) in the end simply because it was a bit slow going for me. I did think I knew what was going to happen (I mean it is kinda obvious) but there were some twists etc so you weren't ENTIRELY sure what was going to happen. Quite a few characters, kinda, I did have to backup a lot just to remind myself who people were. It is an interesting read but I wouldn't say its his best book.

I like Koontz because he has some good humour in his books, good pace etc........

Yesterday I read 'From a Buick 8' by Stephen King, I didn't think I was going to be able to read it at first, you know how sometimes the first couple of pages of a book can either turn you on to a book or turn you off, well, this book started out a bit weird I thought, however, I got seriously hooked on it, I REALLY liked it because it was a) well paced and b) really off the wall in a way and the characters are actually pretty believable (Tana French is fantastic with characters, I LOVE her books). 'From a Buick 8' didn't have too many characters in which made it easier to read, too many characters and I literally lose the plot!!!!!!!!! Anyway, once those first couple of pages were out the way, I just couldn't put it down. I think its a nice easyidh read.............

Today I am reading 'Live Bait' by PJ Tracy. Only really just started so don't have much to say about it, I do like her books though, I wouldn't say they are fantastic, they are simply a nice read.

Really, i doubt you will get many awful book reviews because if I don't get on with a book, I won't always finish it.

One thing I will say about books............. I generally don't diss other peoples likes and dislikes in books. Reading is such a personal thing and what you enjoy is what you enjoy. I have met people (on Bounty the mum website), who won't read a book because they feel it is beneath them intellectually. I think thats rubbish, you read what you enjoy, you don't have to incredibly clever to read intelligent books and you don't have to be particularly dim to read dim books. If you enjoy it, you enjoy it, and thats the way it is......... That said, some books are badly written and there is no getting around it. You enjoy what you enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Postby carolnotts » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:25 pm

i love reading autobiographies but can't read as much s i used to i got Robbie Williams for my xmas and i am in the middle of reading Ant & Dec and i have Jeremy Kyle to read aswell but i seem to have a huge lack of concentration these days :roll: :roll:
carolnotts
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:05 pm

The new books in my life is The bodies left behind by Jeffery Deaver and worth dying for by Lee Child, brain is so fried at the moment there's no point in even trying to read but I will get back to it. I agree with you Katie a book is an escape and people like what they like I dont think anyone should be judged on their choice of reading material.

Again going back to your earlier post, I think we and up with a kind of OCD as a control thing. We cant control the condition as we would like (get rid of it) so we take control over something else so I would think loads of us have strange habits I know I do but not revealing on here :oops: :oops: :oops: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby budda » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:56 am

Hope you get to read your book denys. :)
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:08 am

Thanks Bud, just need a head transplant at the mo :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby loubie » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:27 am

i loved to read
get lost in a book for hours, loved all the Catherine cookson's
can't remember any others at the mo :crazy:
sorry, can't even read your posts tireesix, to long for me :(
enjoy your books everyone :hugs: :blowkiss:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby tonydin » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:32 pm

hi have you read breathless by dean koontes
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby Nellyphant » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:36 am

Alternative Treatments For Fibromyalgia And Chronic Fatigue Syndrome!

I'm really enjoying it too!

Then I'm going to read another Famous Five book! I have a kindle and I'm reading all my childhood favourites again!
Nellyphant
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Positive and Fun