My 2 Thrush.

Rib ticklers, hobbies and things to do on a rainy day!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

My 2 Thrush.

Postby tireesix » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:11 pm

Thrushes??? Thrush? Thrushs? Thrush's? Thrushs'?

3 weeks ago tomorrow, I was out in the garden with Digsby and noticed him nosing something around. I pulled him away and too my surprise, found, what looked like, a dead young bird. I picked it up, blood was kinda fresh, it wasn't visibly breathing and the only movement it had seemed more like the reflexes after something has died. I don't know why I tried to revive it, it was so cold and so obviously dead that it seemed pretty pointless, but I did. I started rubbing its little chest and nothing really happened, but I had nothing better to do so continued. Then I had a bright idea, and poked it in the eye and to my surprise, there was a reflex (when you check wheteher an animal is coming around from anaesthetic etc, you touch its eye for the reflex which tells you whether its awake or asleep, if its waking up, its eyelid will twitch). This gave me hope, so I continued........

While doing this, I noticed another bundle of feathers nearby, this new bundle was stiff and I figured it had no chance, but gave it a go anyway.

So, there I am with a puppy, two chicks that looked dead and me covered in blood from there wounds and I am desperately rubbing their little chests.........

Then, a miracle, one of them gasped. Both birds now had eye reflexes. I managed to get the first one breathing regularly (a mixture of chest rubbing and blowing past its beak to stimulate the breathing and heart). The second bird took longer, but eventually, got going.

So, now I had two birds, I had no idea whether they were going to recover, whether they had brain damage or what, but I had to give them a chance (anyone remember Wretched my stray cat???? I am a sucker for pitiful creatures).

Anyway, within a couple of hours the wee things were happily munching worms but I figured, best not to get attached because the first 24 hours is obviously the dodgiest.

They got through the night, one of them did get very ill for a few days and I didn't think it would make it, it has recovered to a degree but I fear it will always be abit slow and unco ordinated. Neither had severe wounds, just missing feathers and scratches and bites from a cat attack and they have healed up fine and new feathers are replacing the missing ones.

When I first found them, they had a few feathers but weren't fully featherd. Now, 3 weeks later, they are fully fledged, the one that didn't get sick can fly a bit, the sick one is getting there slowly (but considering both of them were pretty much dead when I found them, its a miracle they got to this point, they were sooooooooooooo cold and dead looking). Both of them are really tame, hop onto your fingers, come for feeding etc. Very cute, very noisy.

I wasn't sure at first whether they were Song or Mistle thrushes? Thrushs?......... But now they have all their feathers I have been able to identify them as the song type.

Honestly, had you seen them, you would have thuoght they were dead like I did. I still don't know what made me even think I could bring them round, I don't know what made me try, I just have no idea about any of it, all I know is that I did and somehow, it worked.........

So, there is my happy Easter story!!!!!!! How cool is that????
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Re: My 2 Thrush.

Postby mellabella » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:20 pm

What a lovely story. I seriously think you must have a special touch, perhaps you should train as a healer.

Have you named them? and are you going to look after them or try and and rehabilitate them back into the wild?

Mella.
mellabella
UKFM Member

Postby Adele » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:25 pm

sometimes miracles happen. it's a lovely story and i hope your babies continue to flourish.

:flowers: please keep us updated on their progress. :hugs:
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:26 pm

What a wonderful story Katie, how lucky they were that you found them when you did :hugs: :hugs: :flowers: :flowers:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby tireesix » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:35 pm

Haven't named them yet.

The one that was sick I don't think will ever be able to be released into the wild, its simply not quite right, it seems happy enough but definitely has some stunted development. The only thing I can think of is that either the incident or an illness caused a wee bit of brain damage, we shall see though.

The other one, I reckon would be fine in the wild, the only problem being the fact it is so used to humans, cats and dogs that I don't know how long it would last. It has to recover from its wing injuries yet, even though it is flying a bit and generally healed the feathers are still pretty heavily damaged so I would have to wait until next moult anyway, but, again, shall see how it goes.

I will post photos at some point over the weekend!!!!!

I honestly thought it would be a lot harder than it was, but really, it was just feeding every hour from morning until about 9 in the evening, removing their poo and thats about it.

I think that really, its not so much a healers touch as sheer stubborness, I hate losing and that morning when I found them, I was so low in myself, really depressed because I of illness etc. I don't know, maybe it was luck or some cosmic gift or something to give me hope again. Like I said, I am a sucker for pitiful animals and what better way to get my attention than to plant 2 nearly dead birds at my feet. I don't believe in God but I reckon I believe in something (I am considering training in Reiki and looking into crystal healing as it happens!!!!!).

Anyway, will post photos and let you know how they get on, my little Easter miracle!!!!
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Postby mellabella » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:49 pm

Hi tiree, well if ever there was a sign from the universe, i think you just had one smack you in the chops. :D

I've done Reiki one but got sidetracked from doing 2 and 3 by an Indian head massage course.. now that that's over, i'm thinking of Reiki 2.. trouble is all these things are expensive.

Mella
mellabella
UKFM Member

Postby tireesix » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:05 pm

Yup, very expensive, I am lucky in that I have a friend who has a masters in Reiki and can teach me a lot, she also knows someone who can do the attunements etc.......... I am going to the Quest thing down here, thinking about looking into henna as well..........

I should be in bed but I haven't been able to read for a couple of weeks and my desire to read is overcoming my need for sleep lol.........
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Postby budda » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:15 am

Oh Katie what a lovely story, how lucky were those thrushes to come to your garden, what a lovely person you are, dont think i could have done what you did for them, am scared from anything that flys about, please let us know how they are doing. :hugs:
budda
UKFM Regular

Return to Positive and Fun