Problem Solving

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Problem Solving

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:34 pm

One of the many things we can struggle with, courtesy of FM, is working out what is the best way to deal with a problem we may find ourselves with. With the help of counselling and therapy, I worked on this issue and found a way to help solve a problem in a way more suited to living with FM. I thought I would post it in case anyone else is having a similar experience and is unsure of what can be tried to help improve their situation.

Problem-solving is a skill that can help you cope with many different life problems. It can be used to help find coping strategies that work best for you.

Problem-solving gives you a step-by-step approach to dealing with difficulties. It enables you to face a problem and come up with a plan to try and deal with it. It can also be a useful tool to help plan and achieve your goals.

Problem-solving can help you to be more confident about overcoming challenges that you face, especially pain. It can put you more in control and help you manage difficulties, as well as helping you to work out whether something can really be changed or not. If it can’t be changed, problem-solving can help you deal with the unpleasant emotions or thoughts you may have because you cannot change it.

There are 5 main steps in problem-solving
Step 1: Recognise and define the problem
This means realising that something is in fact a problem, and describing it. This can give you time to think. Recognising that there is a problem also means that you can choose HOW to deal with it. You can decide how important it is to do something about it (or not!!). This puts you more in control of your response. It offers an alternative way of dealing with problems instead of acting on “first impulse” or “doing nothing” and hoping the problem will go away.

Sometimes unpleasant emotions, such as feeling low or worried, can give you clues as to where the problem lies. If you realise that something is making you feel like this, you can them decide how much of a problem it is to you, and choose what to do next.

Defining the problem means being clear about exactly what the problem is. You could try talking it thru with someone, or making rough notes for yourself until you can write it down clearly.

Step 2: List all the possible solutions
Write down all the ways in which the problem might get solved. List ALL the ideas you can come up with, even ‘bad’ or ‘silly’ suggestions. If nothing comes to mind, think of the most ridiculous ideas possible, and take it from there!! You could even think about what would make the problem worse. At least then you can write down ‘doing the opposite’.
If you are talking it thru with someone else, get them to think of ideas too, and see how many you can both come up with!!
At this stage, don’t start to rule any of them out, or think/talk about the advantages of any of them, just write them down.

Step 3: List the advantages and disadvantages of each possible solution
Now go through your list, and highlight the main advantages and disadvantages of each solution. What might the consequences be:
• In both the short and long term?
• For you, and for others?
Keep in mind the things you have now, including time, money and skills.

Step 4: Choose the ‘best’ solution
From the list, choose the solution you are most likely to be able to carry out in your present circumstances. It may not be the ‘perfect’ answer, but it does give you an option to try. Then break the solution down into steps that you can cope with, try to think about any problems and hitches that might arise, and if necessary and/or possible, practise any difficult parts before you attempt to use the solution.

Step 5: Review your progress
Decide when you will review your progress in carrying out your plan. Have a look at how you got on with each step, and be prepared to revise your plans and set another review time as you go along.

Keep problem-solving until you have reached your goal or resolved the stress. If you still find that something can’t be changed, then at least you will know that you have tried.

Problem-solving can also be used to help you deal with any feelings, such as anger or sadness, that may arise. You could also try talking your feelings thru with someone, focusing on something else (maybe something that makes you smile) or finding ways of accepting the way things have turned out.

A Problem-Solving Guide can be used to work thru the steps for solving virtually any type of problem;

Step 1: Define the problem – what is the problem or goal? Talk it thru, or make notes for yourself until it is clearer. Break it down into smaller parts.
Step 2: List all possible solutions – even include ‘silly’ or ‘bad’ suggestions.
Step 3: List advantages and disadvantages – highlight the pros and cons of each idea.
Step 4: Choose the ‘best’ solution – choose the idea you are going to try first, taking into account things like time, money, skills, circumstances, how will it be carried out, what problems might there be with it, are there any bits that may need practising?
Step 5: Review your progress – look at your progress so far and revise things as and when they may be needed.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Re: Problem Solving

Postby tonydin » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:48 pm

blimey flup that interesting , not knocking it but by the time iv done all that i would have forgotton what the problem was :banghead:
know what you mean through i used to rumminate about everything , but my mind seems to have change for the better an go with the flow a lot bettter now , i think its the bu trans patches side effect seems to make me a lot more chilled , and i can put up with that :mrgreen:
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:57 pm

It seems a long winded process when you read it Tony, but if you start doing it, you can get quicker at it to the point where it sort of becomes a part of what you do, almost like second nature.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby bestnan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:04 am

FluppyPuffy wrote:One of the many things we can struggle with, courtesy of FM, is working out what is the best way to deal with a problem we may find ourselves with. With the help of counselling and therapy, I worked on this issue and found a way to help solve a problem in a way more suited to living with FM. I thought I would post it in case anyone else is having a similar experience and is unsure of what can be tried to help improve their situation.

Problem-solving is a skill that can help you cope with many different life problems. It can be used to help find coping strategies that work best for you.

Problem-solving gives you a step-by-step approach to dealing with difficulties. It enables you to face a problem and come up with a plan to try and deal with it. It can also be a useful tool to help plan and achieve your goals.

Problem-solving can help you to be more confident about overcoming challenges that you face, especially pain. It can put you more in control and help you manage difficulties, as well as helping you to work out whether something can really be changed or not. If it can’t be changed, problem-solving can help you deal with the unpleasant emotions or thoughts you may have because you cannot change it.

There are 5 main steps in problem-solving
Step 1: Recognise and define the problem
This means realising that something is in fact a problem, and describing it. This can give you time to think. Recognising that there is a problem also means that you can choose HOW to deal with it. You can decide how important it is to do something about it (or not!!). This puts you more in control of your response. It offers an alternative way of dealing with problems instead of acting on “first impulse” or “doing nothing” and hoping the problem will go away.

Sometimes unpleasant emotions, such as feeling low or worried, can give you clues as to where the problem lies. If you realise that something is making you feel like this, you can them decide how much of a problem it is to you, and choose what to do next.

Defining the problem means being clear about exactly what the problem is. You could try talking it thru with someone, or making rough notes for yourself until you can write it down clearly.

Step 2: List all the possible solutions
Write down all the ways in which the problem might get solved. List ALL the ideas you can come up with, even ‘bad’ or ‘silly’ suggestions. If nothing comes to mind, think of the most ridiculous ideas possible, and take it from there!! You could even think about what would make the problem worse. At least then you can write down ‘doing the opposite’.
If you are talking it thru with someone else, get them to think of ideas too, and see how many you can both come up with!!
At this stage, don’t start to rule any of them out, or think/talk about the advantages of any of them, just write them down.

Step 3: List the advantages and disadvantages of each possible solution
Now go through your list, and highlight the main advantages and disadvantages of each solution. What might the consequences be:
• In both the short and long term?
• For you, and for others?
Keep in mind the things you have now, including time, money and skills.

Step 4: Choose the ‘best’ solution
From the list, choose the solution you are most likely to be able to carry out in your present circumstances. It may not be the ‘perfect’ answer, but it does give you an option to try. Then break the solution down into steps that you can cope with, try to think about any problems and hitches that might arise, and if necessary and/or possible, practise any difficult parts before you attempt to use the solution.

Step 5: Review your progress
Decide when you will review your progress in carrying out your plan. Have a look at how you got on with each step, and be prepared to revise your plans and set another review time as you go along.

Keep problem-solving until you have reached your goal or resolved the stress. If you still find that something can’t be changed, then at least you will know that you have tried.

Problem-solving can also be used to help you deal with any feelings, such as anger or sadness, that may arise. You could also try talking your feelings thru with someone, focusing on something else (maybe something that makes you smile) or finding ways of accepting the way things have turned out.

A Problem-Solving Guide can be used to work thru the steps for solving virtually any type of problem;

Step 1: Define the problem – what is the problem or goal? Talk it thru, or make notes for yourself until it is clearer. Break it down into smaller parts.
Step 2: List all possible solutions – even include ‘silly’ or ‘bad’ suggestions.
Step 3: List advantages and disadvantages – highlight the pros and cons of each idea.
Step 4: Choose the ‘best’ solution – choose the idea you are going to try first, taking into account things like time, money, skills, circumstances, how will it be carried out, what problems might there be with it, are there any bits that may need practising?
Step 5: Review your progress – look at your progress so far and revise things as and when they may be needed.

Hi

I hope you don't mind that I have put a link on The St Helens Fibromyalgia and Chronic Pain Group. This is so helpful for us all in the group. We are not a formal group and are not sure where to take it but we are growing. So far we have 7 members and a possible 8th. We primarily meet up for coffee and leave our pain outside the door, allowing us to talk about anything but pain. We aim to meet on a monthly basis but keep in touch through the group page, which is on FaceBook. We can all add information there which could be interesting to the members of the group (or anyone on FaceBook).

Take care

Sheila xxxxxxxxxxxx
bestnan
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:32 am

Thanks for this Flup its a great post :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Azz » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:43 am

tonydin wrote:blimey flup that interesting , not knocking it but by the time iv done all that i would have forgotton what the problem was :banghead:
know what you mean through i used to rumminate about everything , but my mind seems to have change for the better an go with the flow a lot bettter now , i think its the bu trans patches side effect seems to make me a lot more chilled , and i can put up with that :mrgreen:
tony

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hannah xx

To live life to the full, is to be true to myself. By being true to myself I live life to the full :)
Azz
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:59 am

Very good post flup, i am sure this is going to help lots of people out. Thanks for sharing. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Jan42 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:21 am

As a sufferer of ostrich head in sand syndrome, :facepalm: :facepalm:
I would like to say a big thank you Fluppy :clap: :clap: :clap: :blowkiss: :flowers:
I shall try to remember & try this out :wine: :wine: :wine:

Here's to :shooting: those problems! :D :D :D
try to have a smile on my face even if I'm not smiling on the inside
Jan42
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:38 am

Thank you Jan and everyone, I know it reads like an epic, and you should have seen how many pages of notes I worked thru to condense it, but it's something I find useful to do and thought it might be helpful to someone else as well. I'd thought about shortening it to just the guide bit, but when I read it back it seemed a bit disjointed.

The only problem I haven't managed to solve using this tho is ...................IRONING :tongueout: :tongueout: :tongueout: If anyone comes up with a workable solution, please share it :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Sheila, I can't see any problem with you posting when you and your group are going to meet up. If you post the details in the "Support Groups" bit of the forum, hopefully you'll get a few more coming to join you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:38 pm

IRONING ??????? Whats that????? never heard of it :lol: :lol: i have a machine called a tumble dryer :clap: :clap:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Jan42 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:39 am

Shaz I agree! Ironing is a dirty word in my house too! :nono: :yikes:
Tumble drier...fold & put away. :tongueout: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Jan42
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:01 pm

I've got the tumble dryer, but it's a small one as we haven't got room for full fat one :facepalm: :facepalm: So only certain things can go in it and come out all warm and foldable :? :? :?

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Jan42 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:48 pm

Ahhhh then the way forward is hide the ironing board in a safe place ...we all know the safe places can never be found again :clap: :clap: :clap:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :facepalm:
This worked for me in the days I didn't have a drier. Fold clothes, & tightly cram into one drawer & hey presto...all neatly pressed .
As lazy as it sounds, I iron on a needs must basis. If it looks creased after 5 mins of wearing, then I iron it, otherwise I don't waste my energy. This came about after two little darlings used to pull every item of clothing out of their drawers to find one item & the rest went all over the floor!!! All my lovely ironing that I spent hours on !!! :swear1: :swear1: :swear1:
I swore NEVER again! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: life is too short :chicken-dance: :hugs:
Jan42
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:58 pm

That's what I do with a lot of it, I just can't stand doing the bit that is left :tongueout: :tongueout: :tongueout:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby nutty1 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:49 pm

:wave: flups ,thanxs for sharing .theres a job for you at our local hospital :clap: :facepalm: no not ironing :lol: :lol: you have been very helpful to me along with the crew .hope i can remember it :crazy: :facepalm: advice i mean :oops:
nutty1
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia