Re: fibro and getting older and hormones

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby stephen1969 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:03 pm

Hi everyone,

For those who have had fibromyalgia for a long time - would you say the fibro has got worse or better as you have got older and how many of you think hormones play a part in fibro?

Many thanks to you all,

Stephen.
stephen1969
UKFM Member

Postby annes » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:34 pm

Hi. I am 48 and have suffered with fms for over 20 years. The symptoms were always there, but like every one else I was not properly diagnosed until I had a hysterectomy. I was 43 and after the operation I was medically retired from work. I was in extreme pain and could only walk about 50yds - legs and feet on fire plus all the other symptoms magnified e.g tiredness, exhaustion - we've all been there!!! I was referred to a rheumatologist who confirmed fibro and said that the huge fluctuations in hormones after a hysterectomy would be the cause of the flare. I am still unable to work - getting through each day is a challenge - my full time job is coping with fms. Would be interesting to hear if anyone else has had similar hormonal experiences. What made you ask?

Anne :wave:
annes
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:44 pm

I've had FM for nearly 12 years and it has definitely got worse over time. My pain levels have increased, the fibrofog has got thicker, I'm slowing down in every area of my life and becoming more reliant on help from my OH and DS to do even the simple things :facepalm: :facepalm:

As for the possible hormone aspect, I'm not sure how much that has had an effect on me as thanks to an IUS I haven't had too many hormone problems, and I'm yet to start going thru the BIG M :shock: :shock: :shock:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby scoke » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:31 am

I was diagnosed at 47 a couple of years after I noticed change in menstrual cycle- hot flushes, more irregular, heavier,shorter and more frequent periods. Think hot flushes were actually fm but, having been diagnosed , realised many of my main flares were hormonal - at 11 sore throats, onset of menstruation at 15 - I had drastically dieted in early teens - bad pain in leg and waist, both pregnancies - anxiety and babybrain in 30 s a change in menstrual pattern - for me there is no doubt it is hormonal
scoke
UKFM Member

Postby animalhouse » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:33 pm

mine came on suddent in other words after a car crash was in pain and it never wore off,. so sudden onset.

when it comes on sudden you keep looking for ways to make it go away and are in denial that it won;t.

i think if it was gradual it may have been abit easier to cope with. as i feel i have gone from everyhting active life to nothing.

my life is as you say a full time job managing fibro. limitied life activity and struggles with pain and other symptoms.

and a big knock back when you are not believed by dla etc.

how do other guys cope with a sudden onset? would be interested to know thanks. :wave:
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby stephen1969 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:42 pm

Hi Annes,

Thanks for your reply and for everybody elses replies so far. In answer to your question I wandered whether hormones played a part in any way because when my wife hits the 24th - 28th day of her cycle the pain and symptoms seem to get worse. Has anyone else experienced this? :wave:

Best wishes,

Stephen
stephen1969
UKFM Member

Postby annes » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:30 pm

Hey Stephen,

I did loads of research into the natural menopause/ hormonal problems and from well woman websites - mainly in the US, and this is the only evidence I have to back this up, soya is recommended for hormone imbalances and can help with the menopause. After huge doses of evening primrose oil for my symptons after the op (which reduced the flushes slightly but not much else) I have been taking soya as a supplement and also soya milk on my cereals in the mornings. It's an acquired taste but really worth persevering with. It does help with my hormone problems as its a natural form of phyto oestrogens - it's all natural so could be worth your wife trying. I have recommended it to friends who have tried it and I only wish I had known about the benefits when I was having problems with my cycle.

Anne
annes
UKFM Newbie

Postby stephen1969 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:29 pm

Hi Anne,

Thanks for the information. It is much appreciated.

I hope you had a good Christmas, happy New Year,

Stephen.
stephen1969
UKFM Member

Postby stodgers » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:42 am

I used to notice a flare up of symptoms when due on so I def think hormones play a part in flare ups etc
stodgers
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia