Nail ridges

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Nail ridges

Postby JemmaB88 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:52 am

Morning guys.

I have the usual vertical nail ridges associated with fibro. But one of my nails has got these horizontal ridges that are a series of pits. This has appeared since I have been on the amis. Would this be linked with amis or would it be just the fibro?

Had a little bit of a flare recently but not much worse than it has been.

Anyone else have these?

Jem
x
JemmaB88
UKFM Member

Re: Nail ridges

Postby Ldyalb » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:23 am

I've recently discovered the same thing. They're like a little line of holes across my nails. I'm going to ask my GP about them - I'm seeing him a week tomorrow. I'm also on Amitriptyline but been on it 13 months and this has only recently happened.

I've never had any nail ridges or anything like that before, I've always had such beautiful nails :(
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby Ldyalb » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:31 am

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/wha ... lth?page=1

I've done a quick Dr Google search and it seems this could be indicative of Psoriasis. Which is interesting as I have Eczema - perhaps they've mis-diagnosed me with that instead of Psoriasis - I've been having dry, red patches on my hands recently too. I also have some signs of potential arthritis in my finger joints (stiffness and swelling) and there is a type of arthritis called Psoriatic arthritis. So that could actually explain two different sets of symptoms I have.

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby mrsellgee » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:35 am

Morning everyone

I have psoraisis and have done for many years, I have the pitting in the nails that you describe and prior to being
diagnosed with fibro I asked the gp if it could be psoriatic arthritis she said no, however I am not convinced as I have the stiffness
and swelling of finger joints and toe joints. I think my body is just a haven for anything and everything! :lol:

Gentle hugs
Hayley
mrsellgee
UKFM Member

Postby swbadcock » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:45 am

Nail ridges and more to the point pitting is one of the main diagnosis points for psoriatic arthritis , you do not have to suffer from psoriasis itself to have the condition , need to see a doctor and then a rhuemitologist to get this confirmed as medication is important to slow the process of the disease.
swbadcock
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:05 pm

I'm seeing a new GP in 8 days so hopefully I can get some answers. One of my little fingers has an extra piece of bone which seems to have grown on the side of my knuckle. It's been there for just over a month. I have bony lumps on my middle knuckles which hurt and my big toe joints hurt too. The GP I've been seeing has been very dismissive of it so I'm trying a new GP my Counsellor recommended to me.

I saw my Rheumy for the last time on 10 November and she said that if my finger joints were still swelling in the morning after a month then I needed an ultrasound scan on them. My GP is still refusing to do this as my finger joints 'have too much movement to be arthritic' which is all well and good except for the fact that I have Joint Hypermobility Syndrome which a) means my joints move a lot b) often pre-disposes people to arthritis as young adults and c) I'm almost the same age as my Mum (also Hypermobile and has Fibro) when she was diagnosed with arthritis, she's had it since she was 24. I'm 24 in June... and d) the Rheumy wanted them scanning in early December. It's now February - symptoms haven't gone so where's my scan!?

But I've only noticed these ridges in the last week and a half, I've been wearing nail varnish since before Christmas and took it off before my ATOS medical a week ago on Sat. I haven't painted them again since and that's when I spotted the dents in them. So I really hope this new Dr is better than my old one, he was generally good but very much of the 'nah, we'll wait and see' school of thought. I prefer the 'it's very unlikely to be X but we'll check anyway' type of Dr.

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:02 pm

I have this and am not of ami's nor do i have psoriasis??????????????????????????????????????? I have had it since approx October last year :dunno: :dunno:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:04 pm

I have ridges on my nails but dont have psoriasis :-?
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Baby-Hedgehog » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:23 pm

Hi get the ridges, but haven't noticed the hole like things you mentioned - I also get the bony lumps that you mentioned Ldyalb - but have no idea why :-?
Baby-Hedgehog
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:05 pm

What I have aren't ridges - they're small holes in the nails. A bit like how some people have little holes in their face, but mine are on my nails. If you remember the guy from Grease who took Rizzo to the dance, his face was like that. So basically my nails look like that. If I run my finger over the nail it feels smooth. You can only see the holes. I first noticed them becuase the nail varnish was sticking in them and wouldn't come off with the remover and cotton wool.

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby Ldyalb » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:07 pm

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby Baby-Hedgehog » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:11 pm

Ahhh! nope, that's not mine, definitely no holes, just ridges (in my very curved, weak nails!)
Baby-Hedgehog
UKFM Member

Postby sharon28 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:01 pm

Hi all,

I too have suffered with "pitted" nails in the past but in more recent years i have developed mainly vertical ridges on most of my finger nails and some even some horizontal ones too? I always assumed these were caused by stress or age related (i'm in my 40's). No???

Sharon xx :cup1:
sharon28
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:05 pm

Thats exactly like mine but with really defined vertical and some horizontal ridges so mine dont feel smooth :dunno:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby sharon28 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:11 pm

Ditto Denys,

One of my nails splits along the ridge too so i have to keep it shortish. My nails don't like nail varnish remover either as it dries them out not matter which one i buy, so i guess its a good thing that i don't paint them often, lol.

Sharon xx :cup1:
sharon28
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia