Nail ridges

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Nail ridges

Postby denys » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:19 pm

Mine split down the vertical ridges too I put it down to having 4 children same as my horrible weak thin hair :dunno: :dunno: heyho the joys of fibro :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Ldyalb » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:25 pm

I doubt it's age in my case, could be stress related though. They've just appeared completely out of the blue, they're about half way down my nail bed. My nails grow really fast but even so - they must have been there around Christmas time and I didn't notice as they were bright red and glittery for the festive season :-)

My Mum also has Fibro and she's never been able to grow her nails, they've always been very brittle and stop at the end of her fingers. Whereas I can grow mine very long. My Dad's nails are like mine so I guess that one's just genetics.

It's definitely an odd one. I'll let you all know what my GP says.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby Salgor » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:59 pm

I have very pronounced vertical ridges on all my fingernails but no pitting.

Sally
Salgor
UKFM Member

Postby JemmaB88 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:29 pm

That pic looks just like my nails. All of them have the vertical ones, some are worse than others. But the pits/holes are just on my ring finger on my right hand and my left thumb at the moment. Doctor tomorrow so I will add it to the list :-)

x
JemmaB88
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:05 am

Good luck with the Drs Jemma. Let us know how you get on. Let us know what they say about the pits in the nails.

I have to wait a week until I see a GP, unless I go and queue up for over 30 mins at 8am one morning. In this weather? Not a chance, the surgery doesn't even have a bench - everyone has to stand outside for over half an hour to get a same day appointment. Even the really old people who sometimes have to get a kind neighbour to queue for them. But I'm agitated about my nails now.

Glad I'm not the only one with the pits in them though, I've never seen it before :-)

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby jazher » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:36 pm

Hi there, I have ridges in my nails which come and go. I got them before being on amis and also i have problems with my skin on my hands. I am allergic to cobalt so i always thought my hands and nails were dus to this but now i think it is more stress or a flare.
jazher
UKFM Newbie

Postby JemmaB88 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:01 pm

Apparently it is all down to a recent flair (Christmas was a poo time for me fibro wise). She said it is nothing to worry about and that it will grow out. She said the vertical lines are consistant with fibro but the pits are just down to being ill.

I will keep an eye on it as it doesn't seem to be gowing out. Over half of my nail is pitted and is still growing with the pits present.

Oh well, something else I guess. Lol.

Jem.
x
JemmaB88
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:09 pm

Weird. I've not been ill (aside from my usual issues). But I've not had a cold or anything like that. The only problem has been my lumpy finger knuckle and the stiff, swollen fingers. But this time next week I'll have seen my new GP and hopefully he'll be better than my current one and actually send me for the scan my Rheumy told me I needed 4 months ago!

My pits are all about half way down the nail bed. They're in every nail so it's not like I've injured a few of them. It's just so bizarre - I never even knew such things could happen to your nails :yikes:

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby MCT » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:20 am

I have the vertical ridging on my nails, some are quite deep, and I also have flattened nails on some fingers (if I look at my fingers end on instead of following the curve of the fingertip they just go straight across). I checked up on it a while back and apparently it's associated with Osteoarthritis - funnily enough the fingers that are the sorest are the ones with the flatest nails'!

My hubby has Psoriatic Arthritis so will have a look at his nails in the morning to see what they're like - he's snoring his head off at the moment and it's more than my life's worth to wake him! :nono:
MCT
UKFM Member

Postby Jull » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:15 pm

My nails used to be very weak and ugly and I often went to nail caring service to fix them.
They gave me some simple tips to repair my nail like using olive oil, tea tree oil or green tea.
And I realized that those tips are all on internet!
I wish I could see this sooner!
https://authorityremedies.com/how-to-ma ... -stronger/
Jull
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia