Bowen Therapy

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Bowen Therapy

Postby doctoria71 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:18 pm

Hi has anyone tried this therapy. We have a Volunteer who comes into work, who is a Therapist and tells me that this will help with my pains. I have read and heard many good and bad things about this treatment but none about Fibro. :roll: :crazy:
doctoria71
UKFM Member

Re: Bowen Therapy

Postby geb0205 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:32 pm

Bowen is very gentle so shouldn't irritate the pain too much, but it's a very non specific therapy and can sometimes miss things going on. I get on quite well with it though!
Registered Osteopath and Medical Acupunturist.
geb0205
UKFM Member

Postby busy mummy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:35 pm

I met a lady about 6 months ago who is a practitioner, she reccomended it for fibro to me.

I looked it up on the web, it looks a bit like a mix of gentle yoga type stuff and meditation.

Some people report good results but it seems to require an element of 'faith' in the process.

TBH being a 'no-nonsense-yorkshire-lass' it looks a bit too much like 70's hippy inner peace stuff for me to take it seriously, and even if I did, I lack the concentration levels required to gain any effect.

Give it a go, after all,it cant hurt (much more) lol

Sarah x
busy mummy
UKFM Member

Bowen Therapy

Postby LeaSparkle » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:36 pm

I found it to be "expensive tickling". Didn't help one iota.

But apparently it does help some people. You've only got £25 to lose if you try it and possibly a lot to gain.

Sparks xxx
LeaSparkle
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:51 pm

This is something that pops up on here now and again. If you Google it, there is as much info saying how good it is as there is saying it is ineffective.

It's another of those things that, regardless of what it promises, is better approached with an open mind, and see what you can get out of it.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby mellabella » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:50 am

I Had 3 sessions of it last year and for a few days after i did have some relief with renewed energy levels, but ultimately i think it was a mix of hope combined with the chance to totally de stress for a an hour or so that made the difference... I've spent quite some time and money during the past couple of years searching for the miracle cure. Had all sorts of alternative treatments and all sorts of disappointments. Reiki, Bowen, past life regression, EFT, Hypnotherapy, Shiatsu, Spiritual healing, crystal healing, acupuncture reflexology, kineseology polarity reversal and Indian head massage to name but a few and i even did a session of laughter therapy which was the weirdest of the lot and left me feeling miserable with terrible rib cage pain from forced laughter for a week or so :crazy: . Bowen's is supposed to work by releasing energy channels in your muscles and the woman who did it for me was very lovely and as i said the treatment was very relaxing - there's various you tube vids showing the technique.

Seriously though, the best therapy for me happens at least twice a week. My best friend ( who has spina bifida) and i, chat over the phone for at least an hour and we poke fun of our various symptoms, problems, disabilities and mental stresses ect that we both feel a great deal better.. Natural laughter, i have discovered, does not cause the rib pain of forced laughter! :lol: You can pay for alternative therapies all you want but having someone to laugh with over the things that make you upset the most is priceless.

Bella
mellabella
UKFM Member

Postby AngieR » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:07 pm

Just in case anyone searches Bowen like me I thought I would add to this post a year later! Better late than never is my motto after all. :-D

I had a couple of sessions a few months ago and what I did find was that I felt more balanced both mentally and physically. My posture improved which can be a problem for me as various aches and pains make me end up like Quasi Modo (Know that's not how you spell it) and I seriously can't even find the core muscles I should be using! Standing and sitting better did help me and made me feel sort of stronger - if that makes sense :roll:

I did my back in a few weeks ago and since then I have been twisted again, so I have started another course to get back straight. It's never going to "cure" FM but if it can help me a little bit - even though it's expensive - it's worth it!
AngieR
UKFM Member

Postby millieb » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:37 pm

I swear by Bowen. I have been going for Bowen for 2 years and my practitioner is amazing. I tried a different practitioner first, but didn't get on well with that one, found she hurt me with the moves and I used to joke that I was going for my 'back cracking ' session. I tried another lady who was recommended to me and haven't looked back since.
I go about every 3 weeks although at the moment it is a bit more regular than that as I am having a bad time at the moment.
It is very relaxing and gentle which makes people think that they aren't doing anything, but I can feel it work. I guess with most things you need to believe that they will work and give them a chance.

:) good luck.
millieb
UKFM Newbie

Postby LouLou » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:11 am

I had Bowen for about a year until the travelling got too much for me. A therapist was recommended by my mums friend who also has FM. The therapist was so lovely and we always had a good chat during our sessions.

My sessions with her were not just having Bowen, but she taught me some stretches and exercises I still do today, as well as teaching me about healthy eating.

While it did help with my energy levels I found that it took a while to work or for me to feel any benefits from it. Then last year I was looking into other therapies which could have an instant impact on my pain levels and that's where I found aromatherapy massage. I now have one once a week all over (from my mum who is qualified) and it instantly eases my pain and helps me sleep - therefore helping my energy levels.

As has been said though, with these kinds of therapies it is best to go in with an open mind. It's worth giving it a go as it does have some positive effects it just all depends on you personally.

Good Luck!
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia