Fibromyalgia progression?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibromyalgia progression?

Postby tabithakat64 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:14 pm

Does fibromyalgia get progressively worse?
tabithakat64
UKFM Member

Re: Fibromyalgia progression?

Postby SACHE » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:22 pm

From what I have experienced YES and from what I have ready NO :-? I am certainly worse now than I was :( New symptoms seem to pop up over the years.
SACHE
UKFM Member

Postby m1ssiemoo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:38 pm

Hi, in my experiance YES it gets worse, I was diagnosed 2010 and I'm definitely worse now more and more symptons come up, its not nice !!
m1ssiemoo
UKFM Member

Postby not.giving.in » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:48 pm

I think they say it's not progressive because it doesn't do irreversible damage like some illnesses, but in my experience it is harder to find any kind of balance as I get older. Mind you, going through the change really doesn't help! Chemical chaos is just how it is. :roll: :-?
not.giving.in
UKFM Member

Postby jsh » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:43 pm

Hi
I have had Fibro for nearly 15yrs and it has got a lot worse over the years.
Take care
John
jsh
UKFM Member

Postby Baby-Hedgehog » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:55 pm

not.giving.in wrote:I think they say it's not progressive because it doesn't do irreversible damage like some illnesses

my experience, as someone who was diagnosed around 10 years ago, is that with the pass of time it gets harder, and you find things more difficult; sort of like ageing, but quicker. I think if I'd have paced myself better it might not have got there this quickly (although I suffer a lot less that some on here)..... but I can't undo the past.

Looking back though, yes, it is worse now that it was back then - sorry, that's probably not what you wanted to hear :hugs:
Baby-Hedgehog
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:28 pm

FM isn't regarded as progressive by the medical world as it doesn't cause damage to the body like conditions such as arthritis do. Over time tho, I have found that I've got worse, with pain levels increasing, becoming much stiffer and slower when I move, and all sorts of other irritating changes :shock: :shock:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby aunty bun » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:53 pm

i have had fibro for about 18 years diagnosed 10 and has def got worse as i have got older more and more symptomsbecause you are already run down things hit you harder i used to get times when i hadless pain and could manage better btu thats llong time ago also had 5majoropswaiting for another so that realy doesnt helpthe conditioni i feel so guilty sometime sbout being ill i was just thinkin today how i always walked with my shoulders back and head up noe back isbent and my shoulders stoop almost all the time and i usemycrutches all the time now ,so yeh i would say it def gets worse doc says no but we sufferes know different good luck hunxxx
:evil:
aunty bun
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi
From my experience i would deferentially say yes, its not progressive in the way like cancer is but yes it does get worse with time and is a disability.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby doctoria71 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:01 pm

in my case yes !!!!!!
sorry know that is not the answer you wanted,
doctoria71
UKFM Member

Postby loopyloo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:01 pm

they say it's not progressive because it's not life threatening, but that doe's not mean our symptoms do not become more frequent or more intense or that our collection of symptoms doe's not increase so that you sometimes feel the're never ending, so i feel probably like a lot of us' yes! it is progressive but no! it won't kill us it's just enough to drive you potty some days :roll: :lol:
loopyloo
UKFM Member

Postby jazzbabe » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:46 pm

I'm finding I'm going down hill rapidly, five years ago I was helping my partner doing silly hours but out on my bike as much as I could when we weren't working. Then the travelling started to get too much and we had to stop the travelling then just working full stop got too much so he had a career change and I stayed at home pottering about.
Three years ago it got worse again and he'd find me on the deck and have to get me up so he's now working from home and in the last two years I've started to really struggle, my bike has done 89 miles a year instead of the 3.5K it used to do. The pain is worse, the insomnia is worse and getting more down about it.
The past week has been hell, the pain has been horrific, the pain in my arms is like the pain when you hit your funny bone but worse but it's in every joint from shoulders to tips of my fingers and down to my toes. I couldn't get downstairs at all for two days and then I managed to get up and down like a toddler. Today I've had loads of pills and been like a zombie but the pain is manageable sort of. I was told it doesn't get worse so to be deteriorating so quickly has been worrying, I'm so glad to hear it's not my imagination and that it does actually progress.
Other half has been great the past few days, I think it's scared him and he could see me wincing with each move, yesterday he just said "you're not good again are you" and gave me a hug and then helped. I haven't been able to do anything at all to talk of even eating has been a struggle as lifting my arms enough was so painful and drinking tea was an ordeal.
I can't see how there is the blindness to progression, it would help us if we knew rather than let us find out and panic. If you are told you can prepare mentally and get organised for when you do get worse. Up till now I was beginning to worry which is the last thing you need as stress makes it worse. I really wasn't prepared for this week but now I know it's likely to happen again I can sort of accept it. It won't stop me fighting it but at least I know it can happen again.
I was already on a time limit due to my spine as in 1999 I was told I'd be in a wheel chair within two years, I'm not and since then I've started riding a motorbike I don't lie down and roll over without a fight which may be a good thing. Now this has thrown a spanner in the works a bit but I'm too bloody minded and stubborn to take it lying down. I guess we have to make the most of the good days without going too mad!
jazzbabe
UKFM Member

Postby dawn8574 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:13 pm

I would YES YES YES I was diagnosed a few months ago with my hands and now it is nearly everywhere :( unfortunately, sorry if you were looking for a different answer :( :( :(
dawn8574
UKFM Newbie

Postby Leona » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:25 pm

Yes! I've definately gotten worse over the past year...what a lovely future to look forward too :(
Leona
UKFM Member

Postby jennthefunkyranger » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:01 pm

I feel that I've got worse since being diagnosed, but I don't know if that really is the case, or if it's psychological, ie I know what's wrong, so I'm not putting loads of effort into trying to hide it and go on as normal
jennthefunkyranger
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia